From Billboard: Studios Are Rushing to Record Music in Hi-Def Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am positive that the reson behind all of these different systems is that the CEOs
-don't give a shit about anything but a quick buck and their golden parachute
-they think all "Spatial/Surround/whatever" methods are compatible n the end.. I mean, you can listen to all of them through HEADPHONES, right?

Screw the naysayers! This would be amazing if old artists would embrace it and re-release their music! The potential is amazing. Also, I assume that even without Atmos, or some other soon to be released 3d sound format war, that it will sound great in 5.1 as well. I don't know what type of physical media will be used, but hopefully one is used that we can all play. Blu-ray or DVD seems to be the most logical way to address the amount of space required, since there are blu-ray players (all of which play DVD) in a very high percentage of households. Maybe this will be the push needed to get some blu-ray car audio too.

Here's hoping this works out better than DVD-A and SACD!!!
Let's have some of it on SACD. Some of us don't trust downloads.

IMO the subscription based business model of downloads is like the old Columbia House record club model from the 1970s and we see how that turned out.

Its like what's old is new again because people are too stupid to figure out they're being conned again

chouse.0.0.jpg

Last edited:
Why do these threads so frequently devolve into such negativity? If you don't want to stream, then don't stream.

We want more Surround/Immersive releases of all groups/artists we love. Especially from the past. And beeing done by our most preferred Mixer style.

We want them in the Higher (Hi-Res) quality possible.

Streaming is giving us some of them, but NOT in the High Quality.

We want Streaming to move to Hi-Res Atmos.

We want 360RA to be played with all our AVRs.

We want streaming services to let us download the original files (just in case they dissapear...).

And we want all with cheaper prices.

WE WANT IT ALL ... and

WE WANT IT NOW ...

:)

Why do these threads so frequently devolve into such negativity? If you don't want to stream, then don't stream.

when a company (or industry) takes away your choice (of anything) you're supposed to be negative.

If you're happy instead that means they have beat you into submission

In life, you have to always speak out against inequity and fight for what is just.

it feels too late to be protesting about it now, it was all hastened during Lockdown and here we are; the major labels seized the opportunity to have their Surround Music offerings streamed rather than include them in box sets to cover the overhead. i guess it was just too good an offer for the Majors to turn down and they went for it (cynical me says potentially incentivised with bungs but that may be too jaundiced a view)

as much as i would prefer physical Lossless Hi-Res Surround product, it feels futile, its not the direction the industry's going in now for our hobby. do i like it? not entirely. am i going with it because there's no alternative? absolutely because if it means New Surround Music in Streaming form or No New Surround Music at All, well, need i say more...

Ask yourself, who and what is the market ? Its not us old farts who want a shiny disc in our hands. The market is the medium that the majority - not the minority - uses. Its the pimple face kid that lives on his - or her - smartphone. Its a smartphone world with ear buds
This. This 100X. Apple isn’t pushing Atmos because it cares about multichannel audio and certainly not because they care about physical audio. After all, these are the same people that basically perfected selling you music online.

Apple is rolling this out because Apple Music is a potential cash-cow and they're making Atmos/Spatial Audio a fancy feature/selling point for their Air Pods...which have sold well over 100 MILLION units. It's a way for them to merge two existing profit centers. The good news for us is, as a result, we get to enjoy the second-coming of multi-channel audio.

Ask yourself, who and what is the market ? Its not us old farts who want a shiny disc in our hands. The market is the medium that the majority - not the minority - uses. Its the pimple face kid that lives on his - or her - smartphone. Its a smartphone world with ear buds

i'm a middle-aged fart who's Atmos'ing it on a smartphone with ear buds! i'm (relatively) pimple free and long out of short trousers! i even endure, ahem, enjoy pussy-soaked hip-hop while waiting for my hip-op! 😇 this Atmos initiative is for everyone! resistance is furtile! i mean, futile! or do i... 🤔🤦‍♀️🤣

Nothing solves this problem except a home listening environment that mirrors the studio and this is not/ and will not ever be adopted.
Everybody’s system has compromises. Most of us try to get a setup that comes as close to studio conditions as we can reasonably afford, but even professionally designed concert halls have their own unique sound environments. Really, what matters in the end is whether or not the listener enjoys the experience.

I can’t say I don’t trust downloads, but I certainly don’t trust streaming subscriptions. “Owning” something you have to contact a company to get access to isn’t ownership.
It is good that more surround music becomes available, it would be better if Apple/Tidal aslo gives the opportunity to actually buy the albums in hi res downloads.

Back