George Michael

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan T

Anyone else finding their sub not being particularly engaged by the George Michael mixes?
I thought my speaker was playing up so cranked up the volume and put on The Weeknd.
My poor downstairs neighbour!

Anyone else finding their sub not being particularly engaged by the George Michael mixes?
I thought my speaker was playing up so cranked up the volume and put on The Weeknd.
I think there is no lfe channel. I’m in the process of transferring to my usb drive for the car and do not see any output in the lfe channel.

i didn't notice that but since going Atmos i've set all speakers to Small with a global crossover of 80Hz and there was plenty of bass going on and being routed through the Subwoofer, so i never questioned it but i will flip the Mains into Large over the weekend and see what happens! 😅

Listening to Faith right now and the bass is very good. The song faith is awesome with bass even come form over head speakers.

The only thing I thought was weird about Faith is almost no bass. Seemed like my sub was off.

very interesting findings, Dan T 🙂

i just ran a basic little experiment, set all my Speakers to Large, kept the Sub On and had a flick through all the new George Michael Atmos songs.

the only songs that had an active LFE channel (as distinct from Crossedover content when running Speakers set to Small and the Low Bass content redirected to the Subwoofer at a given crossover) were on the Patience album from 2004.

all the other albums, including Faith, Older, Listen Without Prejudice, the covers album and the Symphonica Live album had absolutely nothing that i could detect going on in the LFE at all, with all Speakers set to Large and the Sub On.

i then set the Speakers back to Small with a global Crossover of 80Hz and wow.. all this lovely deep, warm Bass kicked in!! ✌👍

yes privateuniverse i've been playing them quite a bit on Apple Music and they're fabulously Surround-y!! 🥳

one thing that has come to light,
thanks to the observations of Dan T, is it seems "Patience" may be the only George Michael album newly mixed in Atmos with any dedicated LFE content?

now, at the risk of opening a can of worms, i'd suggest if some (Star! 🤩 ) people are maybe running their systems with Speakers set to Large (or Full-Range.. or whatever your Receiver or Processor identifies the Speakers as when they are being fed all the content mixed in each channel including all the Low Bass therein) and find a lack of Low Bass content on these George Michael Atmos mixes, i would say give it a try setting all Speakers to Small and Crossover the Bass to the Sub at 80Hz.
on my rig it makes a remarkable difference to the new mixes.

i wouldn't say it'll work for everybody and in every case but for me i suspect it may be due to a combination of my Speakers just not being upto the job of resolving a lot of Low Bass and also the room needing compensation/correction.

for example my Subwoofer, i guess due to its location and interaction with the room and the rest of the Speakers gets set to "Reverse" Phase by the YPAO Calibration and that definitely gives much more fulsome Bass in my room.

anyway, enough of all that techno mumbo jumbo! 😅 back to the music!! 😋🍹🎉

It is really annoying though that they are about to release a mega box set for the Older album, and they didn't bother to include the surround mix on a blu-ray.
An unfortunate trend lately, I'm still disappointed that the Tom Petty Wildflowers & All The Rest mega-box didn't include the fabulous Atmos mix.

one thing that has come to light,
thanks to the observations of Dan T, is it seems "Patience" may be the only George Michael album newly mixed in Atmos with any dedicated LFE content?
I have been able to capture a few songs from Faith and Listen Without Prejudice and there is content provided in the .1 LFE channel of the 5.1 downmix through Apple Music.

I have been able to capture a few songs from Faith and Listen Without Prejudice and there is content provided in the .1 LFE channel of the 5.1 downmix through Apple Music.

hmm.. now that's interesting.. 🤔
i can't explain that.. 👀
with the "all Channels 'Large', Sub On" settings i used if there was unique/specific LFE content (i.e. actual "mix content" engineered into the LFE Channel rather than content redirected to the Subwoofer by way of processor/receiver filtering of content from the other channels below a specifed crossover) it would/should have shown up but in every instance except the "Patience" album the LFE meter didn't do a single thing! 🤷‍♀️

It was recorded (After decoding/processing). The LFE captured came from the recording system not the LFE channel in source.

ah, so "downmixing" the Atmos > 5.1 (or maybe better to describe it more like "playing the bed channels of the Atmos in 5.1" as its not strictly downmixing?) that process took the Low Bass from the Full-Range channels and routed them to the LFE but none of that Low Bass content was in the LFE of the original Atmos mix..
i think i get it now! 😅

For me, Faith has no dedicated LFE content and nearly all the bass is isolated in the center speaker - you'd need to have a nice-sized center speaker to get satisfying low-end response without bass management.

BTW, I have it on good authority that Frank Filipetti is responsible for the George Michael mixes.
From Filipetti's section on JD Management:
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 5.01.58 PM.png

Back