Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Sweet, guilty pleasure, from the 80's now restored in 1080p with a DTS~HD MA Stereo [dolby surround] soundtrack from director Cary Medaway. Is now streaming on Amazon Prime in a pan and scan version

MGaI1Lb.jpg

Jane Kaczmarek is probably most famous for being the mom on Malcolm in the Middle. Richard Mulligan starred in a sitcom I never watched called Empty Nest or something like that. But he was also in -- and very funny in -- Soap.

It's a really sweet film with a few twists but I'm not paying $26 for the BD~V [current price]. Actor Lewis Smith was also in The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai, Wyatt Earp and Southern Comfort and is now a director! And Richard Mulligan was hilarious in Blake Edwards S.O.B.

The films of Marlon Riggs reminded me of Bamboozled and had me posting here
1655344083776.png
Spike Lee
Bamboozled

Twenty-two years later, and Lee's prescient film still speaks volumes and packs a serious punch. It's never looked better than on this Criterion blu ray, and the DTS-HD MA 5.1 mix comes alive during the musical numbers and the . . . action sequences (don't want to give anything away for those of you who haven't seen this film). A very powerful and thought-provoking trip–highly recommended.
https://www.slantmagazine.com/dvd/blu-ray-review-spike-lee-bamboozled-on-the-criterion-collection/
DVD Talk Review
High-Def Digest Review

Last edited:
I watched director Darren Aronofsky's epic THE FOUNTAIN on BD~V last night with Hugh Jackman and a resplendent Rachel Weisz which interweaves three stories of love and loss over centuries and can only add that I enjoyed it more NOW than I did upon its release in 2006. Watching it 4K upsampled on my OPPO 205 via my LG OLED TV was a revelation boosting inner detail not formerly attainable via my older projection TV. Admittedly, even though releasing company Warner Home Video only afforded it a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, the entire film was discreetly immersive throughout and composer Clint Mansell's gorgeous heartfelt score aptly accentuated Matthew Libatique's magnificent cinematography. The director of Pi, Exotica, The Swan and Requiem for a Dream has certainly given us a unique visual experience and Hugh Jackman, IMO, has never been better! Highly Recommended

41yNkI5ucyL.jpg

I watched director Darren Aronofsky's epic THE FOUNTAIN on BD~V last night with Hugh Jackman and a resplendent Rachel Weisz which interweaves three stories of love and loss over centuries and can only add that I enjoyed it more NOW than I did upon its release in 2006. Watching it 4K upsampled on my OPPO 205 via my LG OLED TV was a revelation boosting inner detail not formerly attainable via my older projection TV. Admittedly, even though releasing company Warner Home Video only afforded it a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, the entire film was discreetly immersive throughout and composer Clint Mansell's gorgeous heartfelt score aptly accentuated Matthew Libatique's magnificent cinematography. The director of Pi, Exotica, The Swan and Requiem for a Dream has certainly given us a unique visual experience and Hugh Jackman, IMO, has never been better! Highly Recommended

41yNkI5ucyL.jpg
The Fountain rules! There was a Region B release that I think I got from Amazon.co.uk years ago and the audio is 5.1 DTS-MA which still sounds great. This is my favourite of Darren's. It's one of the rare movies where you couldn't really edit anything out and still have it be the same. Very efficient editing and only tells what it needs to get the point across.

The Fountain rules! There was a Region B release that I think I got from Amazon.co.uk years ago and the audio is 5.1 DTS-MA which still sounds great. This is my favourite of Darren's. It's one of the rare movies where you couldn't really edit anything out and still have it be the same. Very efficient editing and only tells what it needs to get the point across.

If any movie deserves a Native UHD4K remaster THIS IS IT. Tonight, I'm going to watch Ken Russell's ALTERED STATES which, IMO, would make somewhat of a great double bill with The Fountain!

edit: Just checked with AmazonUK for the region B The Fountain. They will not ship to the USA! Bummer!

But poster Duncan who lives in the UK offered to purchase a region B copy and ship it to me in the states. I graciously declined, as I'm holding out for a 4K version [after all Darren's Requiem For A Dream did get the 4K treatment]! Thank you Dunc!

81WUU98qBmL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
A few tidbits from thedigitalbits' website:

VCI will release a Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things: 50th Anniversary Edition in 4K on 10/11.

We’ve also learned from industry sources that Poltergeist and The Lost Boys are likely to arrive in 4K from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment in October.

And here’s a surprise: European retail sources are suggesting that Universal will release Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life in 4K UHD in October as well.

Last edited:
Another tidbit from thedigitalbits regarding the 20th Anniversary deluxe steelbook edition of Christophe Gans' BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF

Meanwhile, we’ve learned that Christophe Gans’ Brotherhood of the Wolf is coming to 4K Ultra HD in France on 9/23 as a new 20th Anniversary Edition from Metropolitan Film & Video and StudioCanal. The film’s original language is French, but keep in mind that it’s likely the release will not include English subtitles. You can see the title’s Amazon.Fr listing here.

81ixQ2Gv+EL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Just saw “Lightyear” yesterday in Real 3D and it wasn’t bad…
SPOILER ALERT:
my favorite scene was when he finally goes into Hyperspeed and for a second or two space is just like in 2001: a space odyssey when David goes into that time travel warp….
I also got to see the preview (in 3D as well) for the next Minions movie … I LOOOVE THOSE LITTLE GUYS!…they are pilots in an airline…hilarious!

Honestly it's mostly the scene with the guy that eats all the food. I can't explain why it bothers me, but it does lol.

But Holy Grail? Or Life of Brian? Masterpieces.

Back