Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've switched over to this new one

BUZZ.JPG

Aretha's Rock Steady's got some serious Bass in the Center! Love a good tight- Bass in the Center mix.

But man I am so tired of all these Namby Pamby poor-ass mixes.

I had to shift over to the new Lyle Lovett 12th of June; gets my vote for one of the best mixes recently. 🙋‍♂️
Gee you mixers, bring some balls to the party please, I'm beggin' ya 🧰

One of my favorite streaming-exclusive titles. Not much going on in the heights, but there is aggressive use of both the side and rear surrounds for distinct sounds like acoustic guitars, piano, organ, etc. It'd be a great get for SDE's Blu-Ray series (and potentially easier to license as the CD release is under the artist's own label, 'J&R Adventures'). I particularly love the song "Known Unknowns".
https://music.apple.com/us/album/time-clocks/1581563952

May I ask what Upmix, relative to Atmos, is please?
Usually Atmos and 5.1 mixes are mixed from the original multitrack recordings. The mix engineer have full controll over where to place any instrument/vocal/effects and so on. Upmix is a term for using the stereo mix as the source instead. This gives a lot of limitations and usually only makes the mix a little "wider". You wil typically hear reverb and out of phase components in the heights and rear speakers, but no discrete instruments.

Back