New Sounds in Brass (1972) Hybrid Quadraphonic SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCrutchy

Sony Music Japan have listed New Sounds in Brass (ニュー・サウンズ・イン・ブラス) (1972), by the New Sounds Wind Ensemble (Conducted by Naohiro Iwai (岩井直溥)), for release in Japan on August 3rd, 2022.

Amazon.co.jp: ニュー・サウンズ・イン・ブラス [SA-CDマルチ・ハイブリッド・エディション]: Music
New Sounds In Brass [SA-CD Multi Hybrid Edition] Naohiro Iwai (conductor) / Conductor New Sounds Wind Ensemble SACD
NEW SOUNDS WIND ENSEMBLE/ニュー・サウンズ・イン・ブラス [SA-CDマルチ・ハイブリッド・エディション]

Tower Records Japan said:
発売50周年記念アニバーサリー・エディション!

すべてはここから始まった。50年にもわたり大ヒット・シリーズとしてリリースされている「ニュー・サウンズ・イン・ブラス」の記念すべき第1作。
1972年8月、本アルバムがリリースされると、ビートルズやバート・バカラックなど洋楽の名曲の数々が大胆なアレンジと大編成のブラス・バンドによる大迫力のサウンドで展開されていることが話題となり大ヒットを記録。「吹奏楽で楽しいポップスを」という非常に斬新なアイディアに加え、当時としても非常に豪華で贅沢な編曲、演奏、録音が楽しめるということで、非常に画期的で、素晴らしい企画となりました。
そして、今回初「SA-CDマルチ・ハイブリッド・エディション」化が実現。発売当時の最新技術だったSQ4(4チャンネルの「クアドラフォニック」)のオリジナル4chミックス・マスター音源を日本のソニー・ミュージックスタジオにて世界で初めてDSDマスタリングを施し、SA-CD 2chもCDも再生可能なハイブリッド・ディスクでの発売となります。CD層の方は、SA-CDの2chマスターをPCMにダイレクト変換した2022年最新リマスター盤です。発売から50周年を記念したスペシャル・エディションの登場です。
ソニー・ミュージック
発売・販売元 提供資料 (2022/06/01)

50th Anniversary Edition!

Everything started here. The memorable first work of "New Sounds in Brass" released as a blockbuster series for 50 years.
When this album was released in August 1972, it became a hot topic that many famous songs of Western music such as Beatles and Bart Bakarac were developed with a bold arrangement and a powerful sound by a large brass band. Recorded a big hit. In addition to the very novel idea of "playing and having fun with pops," it was a very epoch-making and wonderful project because you can enjoy the very luxurious and luxurious arrangement, performance, and recording even at that time.
And this time, the first "SA-CD multi-hybrid edition" has been realized. The original 4ch mix master sound source of SQ4 (4 channel "Quadraphonic"), which was the latest technology at the time of release, was DSD mastered for the first time in the world at Sony Music Studio in Japan, and both SA-CD 2ch and CD can be played. It will be released as a hybrid disc. The CD layer is the latest remastered version of 2022, which is a direct conversion of the 2ch master of SA-CD to PCM. Introducing a special edition commemorating the 50th anniversary of its release.
Sony Music
Materials provided by the publisher / distributor (2022/06/01)

So it seems this is a Japanese brass band album that was originally released in 1972. It looks like it was only issued on CD as late as 2015 and only in the one edition. This is probably dependent on your location, but in the USA, the last five tracks can be played on Spotify here. The first five tracks are not accessible. Here is the tracklist from the CD edition, courtesy of CDJapan:

1 OB-LA-DI. OB-LA-DA / IWAI NAOHIRO
オブラディ・オブラダ / 岩井直溥
2 YESTERDAY / IWAI NAOHIRO
イエスタデイ / 岩井直溥
3 HEY JUDE / IWAI NAOHIRO
ヘイ・ジュード / 岩井直溥
4 THIS GUY'S IN LOVE WITH YOU / IWAI NAOHIRO
ディス・ガイ / 岩井直溥
5 I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN / IWAI NAOHIRO
恋よさようなら / 岩井直溥
6 RAINDROPS KEEP FALLIN' ON MY HEAD / IWAI NAOHIRO
雨にぬれても / 岩井直溥
7 DO YOU KNOW THE WAY TO SAN JOSE? / IWAI NAOHIRO
サン・ホセへの道 / 岩井直溥
8 MOZE JUZ JUTRO / IWAI NAOHIRO
たぶん明日 / 岩井直溥
9 ENFANTS D'AUJOURD'HUI. HOMME DE DEMAIN / IWAI NAOHIRO
明日の世界を美しく / 岩井直溥
10 OBECANJE (PROMISE) / IWAI NAOHIRO
誓い / 岩井直溥

The run time is approximately 36 minutes.

Last edited:
I'm a sucker for this sort of music. I ordered from CD Japan. More excited about this one than Toto IV......since I already own that one

Same here except that I don't have the Toto. Since they're being released on the same day I'm ordering them together.

Reactions: GOS
Oh boy, of all the stuff they could have chosen to release, they pick this one, my excitement meter is off the charts :rolleyes:
Hopefully it’s just the first of a quick paced campaign, for many, many to follow.

lets hope so! there's some cool CBS Japan Quad stuff that was never released anywhere else and even in Japan was on SQ LP only and never discrete, like Switched On Hit And Rock, La Formule Du Baron, Byrdmaniax, Taj-Mahal Travellers, Brothers Four, Polnareff, Love Live Life, Kimiko Kasai, Mountain Twin Peaks, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 Live, etc...! 💘

lets hope so! there's some cool CBS Japan Quad stuff that was never released anywhere else and even in Japan was on SQ LP only and never discrete, like Switched On Hit And Rock, La Formule Du Baron, Byrdmaniax, Taj-Mahal Travellers, Brothers Four, Polnareff, Love Live Life, Kimiko Kasai, Mountain Twin Peaks, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 Live, etc...! 💘

Right..O ...frederico.

I believe there were lots (well perhaps a big handful) of English speaking singing artists who had Live albums exclusive to Japan and in quad.
Miles Davis had one ,which (may be QS) or SQ? And there was a Herbie Hancock live in Japan . And I think Andy Williams. 🤔
And we all know about The Lettermen live and The Ventures.
Surely there's more 😮 surprises....to come.

Right..O ...frederico.

I believe there were lots (well perhaps a big handful) of English speaking singing artists who had Live albums exclusive to Japan and in quad.
Miles Davis had one ,which (may be QS) or SQ? And there was a Herbie Hancock live in Japan . And I think Andy Williams. 🤔
And we all know about The Lettermen live and The Ventures.
Surely there's more 😮 surprises....to come.
I'd love to hear what this rare one sounds like-

https://www.discogs.com/release/8741586-Harry-Belafonte-Concert-In-Japan

Back