Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Towards the end of my garden I have had 3 wild orchids for quite a few years (I got the top soil years ago from a friend's farm). This year when I went hunting through the grass before cutting I found loads more, I now have 28! Some only a single leaf, others probably from last year or so more leaves. Where ever there is a cane there are wild orchids! They seem to be Common Orchids, Marsh Orchids and a hybrid between them.
View attachment 80029
View attachment 80030 View attachment 80031 View attachment 80032 View attachment 80033

Well, Dunc, at least we know that the album cover for George Harrison's ALL THINGS MUST PASS was not photographed ON YOUR PROPERTY:

R.a2bb8439ec35e77b2ddc15f25ca1eded

The English channel is about quarter of a mile from the bottom of my garden .................... and the little blighters aren't well known for their propensity to float, just saying .......

You can always donate the little blighters to the Derwent Pencil Museum and dress up its drab exterior....just sayin'

R.6d84091cd6d18174e9c1955b5ec99df3

Last edited:
I see "Shop with us on Amazon" and "Shop with us on eBay" at the top of pages.

Question: Does QQ collect a fee if one clicks through those links and buys something on either one?

Dunno exactly. Ask our patron saint Angie aka @QuadSound . This site without an ad block or supporting membership (I recommend the latter) is just a hideous minefield of ad bombs.
Was told those are just place holders. No benefit to QQ if you click through them to shop.

Towards the end of my garden I have had 3 wild orchids for quite a few years (I got the top soil years ago from a friend's farm). This year when I went hunting through the grass before cutting I found loads more, I now have 28! Some only a single leaf, others probably from last year or so more leaves. Where ever there is a cane there are wild orchids! They seem to be Common Orchids, Marsh Orchids and a hybrid between them.
View attachment 80029
View attachment 80030 View attachment 80031 View attachment 80032 View attachment 80033
Hey Duncan.. do you ever see any of these little 'peckers in your neck of the world? This one is a Red-bellied woodpecker. Or any kind?

A visitor in my backyard a couple of days ago.
redbellied6-22sm.jpg

Hey Duncan.. do you ever see any of these little 'peckers in your neck of the world? This one is a Red-bellied woodpecker. Or any kind?

View attachment 80608
Actually I get a similar one in the garden on the bird feeders from time to time, the Great Spotted Woodpecker,
1656166377407.png
and I also get the Green Woodpecker which come down and eat the ants out of the ant mounds (not big enough to be hills) in the grass (its not a lawn!)
1656166428365.png
Neither are my photos I found them on-line, as every time I go to get a photo they fly off!

Last edited:

View attachment 80608
Actually I get a similar one in the garden on the bird feeders from time to time, the Great Spotted Woodpecker,
View attachment 80611
and I also get the Green Woodpecker which come down and eat the ants out of the ant mounds (not big enough to be hills) in the grass (its not a lawn!)
View attachment 80612
Neither are my photos I found them on-line, as every time I go to get a photo they fly off!
Nice! But these lovely birds should be showcased in the QQ Critters thread where they will have proper exposure.

Google tells me (and who am I to argue?) that there are roughly 7.5 x 10exp18 grains of sand on all the beaches of the Earth. And for each one of them there are 10,000 stars in the universe!
And, amazingly.I've read that there are more possible shuffles in a deck of cards. The article I read completely blew my mind about how big the number is that represents the possible ways to shuffle a deck. It basically said that every time you shuffle one, you probably end up wih a shuffle that's never happened before.

K

Nice! But these lovely birds should be showcased in the QQ Critters thread where they will have proper exposure.
Well, I was asking DuncanS and quoted his post about his yard asking if he saw any kind of woodpeckers there in UK, and I don't know if cross-quoting from one thread to another is even doable. Plus these aren't pets, these are wild birds. Majority of posts in "Pet and Critters" are domestic pets, dogs and cats. So I'm not sure what to do now.

And, amazingly.I've read that there are more possible shuffles in a deck of cards. The article I read completely blew my mind about how big the number is that represents the possible ways to shuffle a deck. It basically said that every time you shuffle one, you probably end up wih a shuffle that's never happened before.

K
Yes, the number of different ways to order a pack of cards is 52! The numerical value of 52! is 8.0658175 x 10exp 67

I know absolutley nothing about cotton fields. Is this a good one? Close to harvest? And when you travel all that way to a farm what is the purpose? Talk about herbicides or seeds?
Yes, probably within a few days of harvest. When I travel to the mid-south, I meet with clients (seed companies) to discuss soybeans!

View attachment 80608

We often see woodpeckers in our back yard....as long as I have a suet for them. Looks like your picture.

Back