Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From BLUE UNDERGROUND and director William Lustig UNCLE SAM [Native UHD4K from original camera negative/HDR10/Dolby Vision/Dolby ATMOS]

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/uncle-sam-arrow-2022-uhd
91vcAAe+L8L._SL1500_.jpg

Here we go AGAIN. Great deals on UHD4K titles as well........I try to cross reference ALL discs with technical reviews of the BD~V discs. Beware, some are dismal!

FREE s/h in the US for orders $50 and over!

EDIT: I ordered 9 films, 2 of which are UHD4K and my total w/tax was $108. NOT BAD!

BTW, Pete, what are your s/h charges to NZ? Or shouldn't I ask?
My shipping costs are always a bit of a mystery but Kino Lorber's sales are usually so cheap, I take the risk that there won't be any unpleasant surprises.

KL won't ship direct to NZ so I get free shipping to a New Zealand Post address in Oregon. From there, NZ Post add 15% NZ tax + shipping and it usually all ends up around $25 NZD per movie which is pretty good considering I can't buy them anywhere other than the US.

If I end up not wanting to keep the movie, I can usually sell it here in NZ. It all ends up a money-loser for me but the loss is only a bit more than what would be the rental cost (if it were still possible to rent a BD from a store - which it isn't, and if it were possible to rent that particular movie - which it would never have been anyway cos no one would have gotten that particular release of that particular movie in their store anyway).

So, bottom line: I almost always take advantage of these sales. I likes my movies I does!

My shipping costs are always a bit of a mystery but Kino Lorber's sales are usually so cheap, I take the risk that there won't be any unpleasant surprises.

KL won't ship direct to NZ so I get free shipping to a New Zealand Post address in Oregon. From there, NZ Post add 15% NZ tax + shipping and it usually all ends up around $25 NZD per movie which is pretty good considering I can't buy them anywhere other than the US.

If I end up not wanting to keep the movie, I can usually sell it here in NZ. It all ends up a money-loser for me but the loss is only a bit more than what would be the rental cost (if it were still possible to rent a BD from a store - which it isn't, and if it were possible to rent that particular movie - which it would never have been anyway cos no one would have gotten that particular release of that particular movie in their store anyway).

So, bottom line: I almost always take advantage of these sales. I likes my movies I does!

Well Pete, considering what some QQ Posters pay for 1 OOP Surround Disc [hundreds!] movies, IMO, with hours upon hours of content are a bargain in today's market.

My shipment from KL is being prepared for shipment. Cannot wait!

Castle Keep (1969) BD:
1. CASTLE KEEP - LE
2. There's a DTS-MA 4.0 audio track on this BD. It ain't your usual "4 corners quad" 4.0 either. It's Front Left/Centre/Right Right/Surround Back (that "centre" surround channel). Unfortunately, there's not a lot going on back there except some of the score which is a shame as there are some cool battle scenes. I monkeyed with the levels, different decoding/playback of the signal, etc but there's just not a lot happening. It's one of those very "wide stereo" tracks too where the centre level is pretty low so I beefed the centre up 6dB to get it more under the screen rather than either side of it.
3. Great flick though. I hadn't seen it before and it's a pretty surreal watch. Definitely worth another look or two.
4. Well shot and directed by Sydney Pollack. Great cast too: Burt Lancaster, Peter Falk, Scott Wilson, Bruce Dern.

Castle Keep (1969) BD:
1. CASTLE KEEP - LE
2. There's a DTS-MA 4.0 audio track on this BD. It ain't your usual "4 corners quad" 4.0 either. It's Front Left/Centre/Right Right/Surround Back (that "centre" surround channel). Unfortunately, there's not a lot going on back there except some of the score which is a shame as there are some cool battle scenes. I monkeyed with the levels, different decoding/playback of the signal, etc but there's just not a lot happening. It's one of those very "wide stereo" tracks too where the centre level is pretty low so I beefed the centre up 6dB to get it more under the screen rather than either side of it.
3. Great flick though. I hadn't seen it before and it's a pretty surreal watch. Definitely worth another look or two.
4. Well shot and directed by Sydney Pollack. Great cast too: Burt Lancaster, Peter Falk, Scott Wilson, Bruce Dern.

Great film indeed and I saw it at a private screening in Manhattan. A friend, with 'connections' was able to get a 35mm print.....although I recall it wasn't in surround. Definitely needs a Native UHD4K remaster.

DAYUM! An absolute stunner! We have all the time in the world. . . .
1656124136783.png
NO TIME TO DIE

The very first Bond film i saw in a movie theatre was On Her Majesty's Secret Service. It was the winter of '69. I was eight. By the end of the film, i was absolutely devastated. This film is an amazing ride in 4K, visually and sonically. So glad i scored this for a mere $10! One of the best Dolby Atmos tracks i've ever experienced. A powerful swan song for Daniel Craig. Highly recommended!
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/No-Time-to-Die-4K-Blu-ray/265054/#Review
High-Def Digest Review
https://www.avforums.com/reviews/no-time-to-die-4k-blu-ray-review.19399/

Last edited:
DAYUM! An absolute stunner! We have all the time in the world. . . .
View attachment 80609 NO TIME TO DIE

The very first Bond film i saw in a movie theatre was On Her Majesty's Secret Service. It was the winter of '69. I was eight. By the end of the film, i was absolutely devastated. This film is an amazing ride in 4K, visually and sonically. So glad i scored this for a mere $10! One of the best Dolby Atmos tracks i've ever experienced. A powerful swan song for Daniel Craig. Highly recommended!
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/No-Time-to-Die-4K-Blu-ray/265054/#Review
High-Def Digest Review
https://www.avforums.com/reviews/no-time-to-die-4k-blu-ray-review.19399/
Good to hear! I haven't seen a Bond film in a while but grabbed this from the amazon sale that I think @4-earredwonder posted about. Looking forward to it!

Castle Keep (1969) BD:
1. CASTLE KEEP - LE
I saw it a couple of times at the theater in '69. An interesting surreal anti-war film with a great cast.

Last night I had the privilege of watching George Steven's Epic GIANT in Native UHD4K [HDR10/DTS~HD MA 2.0 MONO] and can report, IMO, it's a massive upgrade over Warner's 2013 3 disc 'digipak' although it omits ALL the extras included in that release with the exception of the vintage commentary!

Warner has afforded the 201 minute epic a BD100 triple layer disc which ensures the encoded bit rate is more than sufficient.

Although far from perfect, having seen the film in the 60's in a sub par showing, the color grading is much improved [it was shot in Warner's proprietary WARNERCOLOR] and although some shots are soft focused, the majority of the print is in pristine condition.

As for the MONO track and Dimitri Tiomkin's score, I would advise everyone to engage the ALL STEREO DSP mode on their receivers for a more immersive
listening experience.

For $18, well worth the upgrade except for the omission of bonus content on a separate BD~V.

And I did engage the English subtitles, as James Dean, who died in a tragic car accident prior to GIANT'S premier, mumbles incessantly but delivers a legendary performance...nonetheless!

R.1a3b3999a0a4343289d48114144d12e6

Last edited:
Another stellar Tangerine Dream score in Michael Mann's excellent theatrical debut
1656219957932.png
Michael Mann Thief
It's been a couple of years since last i visited this gem. Glad i was reminded of it tonight! Mann makes great use of Chicago in this distinctive and engaging film. And speaking of engaging, Tangerine Dream's atmospheric electronic soundtrack really shines in the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track. The extras include a laidback commentary track with Caan and Mann and three interviews, one with Johannes Schmoelling of Tangerine Dream! This tight and stylish thriller is very highly recommended.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Thief-Blu-ray/47071/#Review
High-Def Digest Review
https://www.slantmagazine.com/dvd/thief/

I still haven't seen Apocalypse Now Redux... I know consensus is rare on these things but is that the preferred version these days? I picked up the 4K a while back but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Francis Ford Coppola has been revisiting his former movies and IMO, the result has been successful re~editing/rearranging and adding footage to Apocalypse NOW, The Cotton Club and Godfather III.

Apocalypse NOW REDUX is now considered the preferred version!

Back