HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - CLOSURE/CONTINUATION [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Porcupine Tree - CLOSURE/CONTINUATION

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new and long-awaited album from Porcupine Tree entitled "Closure/Continuation".
Produced & Performed by Richard Barbieri, Gavin Harrison & Steven Wilson. Completed September 2021.
The Blu-Ray within the deluxe edition contains the full original album in 96/24 High Resolution stereo, 5.1 surround sound, and Dolby Atmos surround sound.
Mixed by Steven Wilson.

The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/closure-continuation/1592575933
Pre-release discussion thread: Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation (5.1/Dolby Atmos) 24-Jun-2022

(y) :) (n)

PTCC-scaled.jpg

88585-8ea70e46c7572a74f2bb51167c4b2407.png

My review over at IAA just went live, if anyone wants to check that out:
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/202...orcupine-tree-5-1-surround-sound-dolby-atmos/My expectations were high and I'm not disappointed, the only song that isn't really connecting thus far is "Rats Return". My favorite tracks are definitely the three that weren't released as singles ("Dignity", "Walk The Plank", and "Chimera's Wreck"). Someone else mentioned this before, but these have to be some of the best vocals SW's done on a studio album to date. The falsetto is used sparingly, to mostly good effect.

As for the surround mixes, the Atmos is definitely my listening option of choice. Some interesting differences between the two:
  • "Harridan" - the lone rhythm guitar (or is it a synth?) at 3:10 is in the center channel on the 5.1, but it swirls around the height speakers on the Atmos
  • "Of The New Day" - acoustic guitars are in the fronts on the 5.1, while the Atmos has them solely in the side surround speakers
  • "Walk The Plank" - the bass synth(?) that first appears at 1:10 is always in the fronts on the 5.1, but it shifts between the front and rear height speakers on the Atmos. Chorus vocals are in the rears in 5.1, Atmos has them in the rear heights.
  • "Dignity" - the big synth solo at 7:40 is in the front speakers on the 5.1, but it swirls around the heights on the Atmos

I wanted to get enough listens (Atmos only) under my belt to be sure- Done. THIS is an epic Porcupine Tree record. That was the real question for me, could they bring back that unique heavy prog sound they dominated. This recording fits right in line with In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet. It pounds, but not just with hyper fast drums and guitar riffs, they are beautifully complex weavings that will still knock you back a few feet.

It feels like they all had some serious sound bottled up inside and they let it fire out on all cylinders and added a supercharger. Steven Wilson has been making great solo music as has Gavin Harrison w/ Pineapple Thief, but neither one has rocked this hard since FOABP. Then you add Richard Barbieri who always provided atmospherics for the records. Now is able to do so in an Atmos format to stunning effect.

This is an SW joint so of course the mix is stellar, but even for him this one just has no holes in it. He puts sonic elements where they will have the best effect on the overall experience. This means lots of discrete placements, but not for any gimmickry but because that is where they belong.

The recording and sound are stunningly good. Even when there are a lot of elements in play they all still have enough separation to shine on their own. When things calm down, the softer and acoustic bits are nice and airy. When it's time to blow your hair back, it just hammers like the gods.

The heavier songs are my favorites because that is what PT had that the SW solo stuff has much less of. It was bliss to just feel the heavy sound blow right through my chest. And the songs are very compelling themselves.

The ballads w/ SW are always a hot or miss for me, and we can't expect a Lazarus every time. But they didn't grab me much. They were nice and melodic and as well engineered as the rest.

I gave it a 10 which I feel it easily deserved. And I couldn't be more thrilled to have great seats for the PT show when they come to DC in Sept.

It was extra fun to have this epic music coming through my recently much upgraded Atmos speakers- 4 Martin Logan Sistine in ceiling monsters. They now can stand with the LRC and surrounds also ML. The graph below is freq response before and after correction fm my Trinnov preamp. The flatness is so sweet to see. The room is pretty well-treated but the Trinnov just pushes it all into a nice braid.

Trinnov Atmos Correction Graphs no subs.png

Last edited:
I have given it an 8. In Absentia is a magnificent album as is Deadwing & Fear Of A Blank Planet all amazing in surround. However given Steven Wilsons recent solo albums (which I despised) and change in music direction and the actual marketing of his music I had a lot of negativity in my mind before finally listening to this new album.

Overall it's a good PT album but a different one than the 3 mentioned above. It is definitely a progression from the last one in 2010. I am still trying to get into the songs which have not captured me as hoped. The surround mix is exceptional as you would expect from the greatest music engineer in 5.1 in music history.

I have given it a 9. First class 5.1 mix, great tracks. You can recognize bits of Storm Corrosion on some tacks as well as SW last solo cd. But also plenty of recognisable PT sound. I think the ltd edition 2 disc plus blu ray is way “too thin” on content. The bonus tracks should have been in 5.1 on the bluray. Compared to the In Assentia 4 disc reissue for around the same money this is a bit too expensive. But hey I am happy with the new music!!

Any preference between the 5.1 vs. Atmos mixes?

I'm listening in ATMOS... Sure it's fun, but when it comes down to it... It's still the songs that count. Are these songs good? I'm on track 3 or 4 and I sure hope it gets better... because I don't think I care to listen to them again. This is a departure and not for the better...

I thought the same thing when i listened to the tipping point from tears for fears and it grew on me listening to it more.
Yes, I am looking forward to hearing the Tears for Fears new offering... and I expect strumming songs from them... but not so much from Steve Wilson... LOL ;-) Beatles had lots of strumming songs too... but they were "Interesting" not so predictable.

I am a completist collector of all Steven Wilson works, and Porcupine Tree, and as I have been disappointed by the Wilson’s shift to pop and less guitar centric style, I was afraid of what would be “the return of Porcupine Tree”.

After several listens I have to conclude that I like it. It is Porcupine Tree sound.

Undoubtedly, there is Steven’s guitar and superb Gavin drums which gives this PT sound. Also, Barbieri soundscapes contribute to that, although a little bit less that I would like. Perhaps because Steven and Gavin had all already composed or rehearsed and called Richard too late to be creative?

I really miss Colin Edwin. Wilson bass playing is not bad, but as he says, it is a guitar player style of playing bass, and the wonderful Colin Edwin melody line bass is missing. It’s a little bit sad for me, as Wilson thought “We don’t need Colin, I can do everything” :cry:

With respect to surround and Atmos nothing to object. I have listened very few times in Atmos (my preferred) because now, in the summer house, I have only 5.1 system. The Wilson discrete mix is not aggressive ping-pong but has enough moving sounds. I remember “Walk the Plank” in Atmos as one of the best in that sense.

The bad note has to go for the physical pack. I play the Blu-Ray with the dizzying images switched off. They do not contribute anything for me. They annoy me. And the Big Book than blends into my hands (not hardcover), with the pictures blocked… Resting in the shelf and I never pick it up.

No extras, no surround of the bonus tracks, No videos. Those would probably appear later with the Wilson desire of releasing the big variety of EPs, compilations, etc. to drive collectors crazy.

Under these conditions, it would have been enough a MKV download file with the stereo, 5.1 and Atmos tracks (Hi-res lossless, of course). But that product could not be charged at 60+$ I think. And some people would not know how to play it?

I would have given a 10, if all that “missing” package content (including Colin Edwin) would have been available.

But I can only give it an 8.

No extras, no surround of the bonus tracks, No videos. Those would probably appear later with the Wilson desire of releasing the big variety of EPs, compilations, etc. to drive collectors crazy.
To my knowledge, SW has never done a second physical release of an album with more surround content than the original (I certainly would have double-dipped for the 2020 digipak reissue of Grace For Drowning if it included a 5.1 mix of "Home In Negative"). I guess the closest thing to that happening would be the streaming-only Atmos release of "Anyone But Me", but that track wasn't even included in stereo on The Future Bites Blu-Ray. If those three tracks were to be revisited in surround someday (fingers crossed!), you can bet on them randomly dropping on Apple Music.

Gave it a 9. Would have given it 11 if the bonus tracks would have the 5.1 treatment, those three are so good. The mix is incredible and the sound is stellar, every sound can be clearly heard, It just blows me away everytime I listen to it... the higher the volume, the better it sounds, as it should be in a rock album.

It is taking a lot of time for me to fall in love with this album. I guess I was hoping for more. It's a good album. It's just that half way through I'm thinking to myself: When this is over The Pineapple Thief's "Give It Back" is up... Yay! As for the sonics, I don't think it is possible for SW to mess up his own sound/mix. They are always excellent. That alone pushes this from an 8 to a 9. I have not heard the Atmos mix.

The only song that isn't really connecting thus far is "Rats Return".
That's funny because I really love "Rats Return". It's one of the most choppy 80s/90s metal sounding things that they've done in quite a while, and I think it's great! One of my favorites from the new album.

Last edited:
Maybe it's my system, but the Atmos mix doesn't sound all that great. The DTS mix might be the best 5.1 I've ever heard.

I think that i need to play the 5.1 mix more, but my first feeling is not very surprised.
I mean, ok have elements in speaker but no feel thay "play" with them, like if were bored.
Agree that the bonus tracks deserved to be added at the bluray.

Really torn on how to vote. I am more of a Stupid Dream / Lightbulb Sun era fan of PT but I still can appreciate the harder edge version of PT.

The music hers is pretty much a continuation of the band's Lava & Roadrunner era style. There isn't much progression on that front aside from Gavin's drumming features SO prominently in the mix. Not a bad thing but when I am listening I become a little distracted and think it is Gavin Harrison show.

The surround mixes are up to SW's usual high standards. Incredibly disappointed that the bonus cuts & instrumental versions are not offered in the package.
If this was anything other than a SW lead project, I might understand (remain frustrated - but understand). He has certainly changed his approach or is letting the labels dictate content. By any means - Highly disappointing to the point of it maybe unreasonably affecting my enjoyment of the new album. Just being honest.

My true dilemma - how does the exorbitant cost, lack of alternate physical product options, and a skimpy content-to-cost value factor into voting and should it?

As to the music:
Surround Mix - 10
Fidelity - 9
Musical Composition - 8

As to the Package:
Content - 1 Extremely weak to the price point

So maybe an 8?

Back