Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love PF but hate the The Final Cut, if it was in 5.1 and someone offered it to me for free i’d very politely decline
Haha well it’s not really PF is it but it might make me enjoy it a little more. “When The Tigers Broke Free” has always been one of my favourite songs though, but then again it was never on the original album!

Haha well it’s not really PF is it but it might make me enjoy it a little more. “When The Tigers Broke Free” has always been one of my favourite songs though, but then again it was never on the original album!
It’s like a RW solo album but none of his solo albums have been this depressing, if it’s ever re-released it should come with a razor for slitting your wrist lol

There was a quad mix?
There’s a catalog # (JCQ-34474), but no indication if the quad mix was completed or even attempted.

I had read online that Brian Humphries ended his working relationship with the band after this album was finished, citing “mental exhaustion” or something of the like.

Not necessarily in this case, I think Guthrie's 5.1 mixes of DSOTM and WYWH were done natively in DSD (using Sony's Sonoma monitoring system) and converted to PCM later for the Blu-Ray releases.

They were not recorded in DSD though.

pardonnez moi for my thread merde...I know this is the reason I do not have many friends:
I love PF VERY much and this is probably why I post this...
I do NOT understand all the excitement, taking into consideration how utterly disappointing the JGuthrie/RW (cause remember that SWTayler stated recently, that the final say is the artist's, not the engineer's , I am sure JG can come up with a great enveloping MCH mix) DSOTM 5.1 mix is, especially compared to the masterwork that is the AP Quad mix, which was probably not approved by RW/Gilmour...either that or they were REALLY stoned when they "approved" it...
Sp , please excuse me if I am not holding my breath nor joining the excitement on this thread and being the grumpy uncle here...
Having said that, I REALLY hope this MCH mix is a REAL MCH mix and not the travesty that the DSOTM SACD is...I always try to look at the bright side of life (thank you, Brian!)
Yep. Thankfully, Guthrie‘s mix of DSOTM upmixed with Auro 3D to 5.1.5 with Auromatic set to its max strength of 16 is remarkable. There are few 5.1 recordings out there that can handle Auromatic strength 16 without sounding bizarre.

So yes, DSOTM needs some serious help but the fidelity is excellent. I’m expecting the same blasé basic 5.1 mix with Animals but with excellent fidelity. Auromatic stands ready to do its thing…bankrupt or whatever.

My Acoustic Sounds order,

1. Pink Floyd - Animals - Hybrid Multichannel SACD $35.00
2. Pink Floyd - Animals - Blu-ray $24.98
3. The Cars - Heartbeat City - Hybrid Stereo SACD $29.98
4. Supertramp - Breakfast In America - Hybrid Stereo SACD $29.98

Subtotal:
$119.94
Sales Tax: $8.38
S&H Cost: FREE
Total: $128.32

Can't wait!!!

Regards,

Thanks for that GOS.
Since I am only getting the Blu-ray, Amazon will do fine, even if I could save a few bucks with one of the independent distributors. Hopefully it will be on my doorstep on the release date, unlike PT C/C. Kind of funny that I don't mind waiting however long it takes for the new PT, but the PF-Animals I can't wait and I want it ASAP (even though I've heard it hundreds of times).

Thanks GOS bluray ordered.

I notice my Jimi Hendrix box set order from January is still there........ will we ever see it?

Count me among the shocked ones who would have expected any standalone discs to come out months after the box...all the better to make us pace back an forth about whether to pay more for a bunch of stuff that we wouldn't ever listen to/wear/play with/blow our nose in. Thrilled with the Blu option

Back