Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do wonder if we would think so poorly of the Guthrie DSotM if we never had an opportunity to compare it with the excellent Parsons quad mix. He's due some credit. Guthrie did manage to get better sonics out of it.
As someone who (unfortunately) hasn’t heard the quad (faulty Blu-ray kept me from buying — even during that brief replacement program) I can chime in that I personally like the 5.1 quite a bit.

I’ll add that I do have the WYWH box and have listened to both its quad and 5.1. They’re different experiences and I enjoy both. I prefer the quad EQ but everything else is a toss up and I’m glad to have both. I confess I’m not the most critical listener on these boards so I’m perfectly willing to concede. Nevertheless, if my WYWH comparisons are any indication I’d assume I may feel the same about DSOTM.

On topic, I happily preordered the standalone Animals Blu-ray (Bull Moose along with Criterion’s Defending Your Life). Being that it’s my least favorite “peak Floyd” I’m looking forward to re-evaluating it. Tastes change, after all. Also look forward to ripping the stereo mixes for hi-res in the digital library.

Here’s hoping DSOTM may get a similar release some day (I know… when pigs fly)… with an ATMOS mix so we can argue the merits of quad, 5.1, ATMOS, and 7.1 core. That alone should keep the forum kicking.

Last edited:
As someone who (unfortunately) hasn’t heard the quad (faulty Blu-ray kept me from buying — even during that brief replacement program) I can chime in that I personally like the 5.1 quite a bit.

I’ll add that I do have the WYWH box and have listened to both its quad and 5.1. They’re different experiences and I enjoy both. I prefer the quad EQ but everything else is a toss up and I’m glad to have both. I confess I’m not the most critical listener on these boards so I’m perfectly willing to concede. Nevertheless, if my WYWH comparisons are any indication I’d assume I may feel the same about DSOTM.

On topic, I happily preordered the standalone Animals Blu-ray. Being that it’s my least favorite of “peak Floyd” I’m looking forward to re-evaluating it. Tastes change, after all. Also look forward to ripping the stereo mixes for hi-res in the digital library.

Here’s hoping DSOTM may get a similar release some day… with an ATMOS mix so we can argue the merits of quad, 5.1, ATMOS, and 7.1 core. That alone should keep the forum kicking.

The sonics of the SACD 5.1 are amazing.

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but the retailer images for the blu-ray pack are different from the image on the Pink Floyd website. Most, if not all retailers have a full colour photo on the cover but, to match the other formats, the PF website has the black and white image which surely is what will be made. So, when/who produced the, almost certainly obsolete, version for the blu-ray and then released it for marketing purposes? Even Acoustic sounds has the colour blu-ray pack but their SACD pack has the b&w image. For a band so 'on top' of their marketing this is unusual. Wonder if there have been any differences of opinion preparing this release? 🤔😂

First world problem: Which Animals multichannel version to choose from - SACD or Blu-ray? Both I guess 😉
Good protection from disc rot! One should outlast the other and at least they have same version. My DSOTM blu-ray has become exactly that, i.e. dark sided! Fortunately I have a back up but only the JG version of that was put on SACD so the AP 4.0 would have gone into orbit with no return!

So did I ... :(

But I will continue to support SDE!!

me three! (me too.. three, four! woo!)
no "me too movement", i'll keep the SDE pre-order, if they keep doing cool new Surround Blu-ray's they'll be my best friends for life! if they stop however they are dead to me 😬😳 only joking.. or am i..? 😉😂

I’m really curious to see what he’ll do with the new stereo mix. I’m really familiar with the original mix of this album as I’m sure the rest of you are. Wonder why new stereo mixes weren’t included for Dark Side and Wish, obviously they were done 2003 and 2009 respectively so maybe they just weren’t warranted at that time? Who knows.

I’d be really interested to see if they include a new stereo mix of The Wall, just for curiosity more than anything, I think the original mix is perfect. Mason’s drums sound AMAZING and can only imagine how they’d grace the soundstage in the 5.1 :love:

My Acoustic Sounds order,

1. Pink Floyd - Animals - Hybrid Multichannel SACD $35.00
2. Pink Floyd - Animals - Blu-ray $24.98
3. The Cars - Heartbeat City - Hybrid Stereo SACD $29.98
4. Supertramp - Breakfast In America - Hybrid Stereo SACD $29.98

Subtotal:
$119.94
Sales Tax: $8.38
S&H Cost: FREE
Total: $128.32

Can't wait!!!

Regards,
I tried adding other items to my SACD order yesterday, and could not find that it would give me the free shipping option on the SACD? Are you having lines 3 and 4 shipped with 1 and 2? I could not find anyway to have it all ship at once.

Thx
Chris

Damn, I ordered from SDE at £22 plus £6 p&p 😪
So did I ... :(

But I will continue to support SDE!!
me too.. 🙄
me three! (me too.. three, four! woo!)
no "me too movement", i'll keep the SDE pre-order, if they keep doing cool new Surround Blu-ray's they'll be my best friends for life! if they stop however they are dead to me 😬😳 only joking.. or am i..? 😉😂
Lol.... I've requested a refund.

I’m really curious to see what he’ll do with the new stereo mix. I’m really familiar with the original mix of this album as I’m sure the rest of you are.
You can hear a preview of the new stereo mix at the end of Roger's rant video from last year, starting at around 1:40. Drums sound really good!

My point was that if PCM is the original source, another conversion can only harm it, albeit ever so slightly.

Unless you can hear above 20khz the ways in which it would be harmed would be way beyond inaudible.

There will simply be no measurable difference between the editions in terms of the audio on-disc and what's humanly audible.

Really, it comes down to packaging and what you're setup for. Probably going for the BD myself just because ripping and losslessly compressing PCM is way, way easier.

Back