How Many Have Tinnitus?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made sure I had my Westone attenuators last night for the Delvon Lamarr trio show in Cleveland. Like any long time music lover and concert goer, I have a level of tinnitus that I can live with. The first really scary occurrence wasn't from a loud concert, however. I had just restrung the ES-335 seen in my avatar and was tuning it using my trusty Boss tuner. Unfortunately, I erroneously tuned it an octave high and the resulting piercing tone caused my ears to ring for days and set me on the path to living with tinnitus.

Well my tinnitus is still annoying as hell. Choppers in the Army, standing next to PA's at concerts/clubs, gunfire, when I was young I didn't take good care of my hearing, plus I've never found any earplugs or even earbuds that fit my right ear correctly. I mean, I wear earplugs when I mow or run the chainsaw but the right earplug always works loose.
During a visit to my Dr. years ago I asked them to clean my right ear as wax was pretty built up. The nurse said I had the deepest ear canal she had ever seen. Not sure exactly what that means. Maybe my right ear is just messed up.

lol. I was cleaning my goldfish pond a few months ago and my right earbud fell out and rolled into the water. Is why I buy only cheap earbuds. Starting to accumulate extra left ear earbuds!

I think that tinnitus is part of growing old. I try to wear earplugs when chainsawing, weed wacking etc. I've attended loud concerts in the past but not very often. I remember thinking that I was hearing the high frequency buzz coming from dimmed lights ect, but turning them off did nothing. My case is very mild at least, most of the time I don't notice it. I'm not sure if it comes and goes or if I'm just used to it most of the time, so my brain tunes it out.

Just like the wife!;)

Fortunately mild here. Certainly from blasticated electric guitar and nearby snare and cymbals. I was fortunate not to have gun or jackhammer hobbies or work experience. I smartened up with band volume and using protection at too loud concerts a little too late to escape unscathed but before critical damage. I must have been born with above average hearing to begin with and had some to lose or something. I'll complain about some points to an audiologist and usually get a side eye look with the comment "You hear like a dog." I absolutely have the first stage of damage with heightened sensitivity in the high mids. "Turn that down! I have children sleeping here! Don't you boys know any nice songs?!"

Careful out there!

Mine is a constant whooshing sound with a bit of a brite tone sometimes. I thank my lucky stars that it doesn't drive me insane....It has kind of become part of me.

Like most everybody, I don't really notice it during active listening. My right ear has some strange damage (they said it's unusual for only one ear to be so), with significant loss at some frequency that I forget now. Maybe from target practice, long ago with no protection...or maybe in that bar brawl, when they kicked me into submission...busting me head to toe....my younger years! Who knows.

I do wonder how it colors my listening experience, but it doesn't really matter as long as it all sounds good.

I have some hearing loss, but heck, I’m almost 75 years old, so I can’t complain too much.

Maybe caused by a bit of gunfire in my youth, or perhaps the race cars I worked on and drove in the old days. The loudest music I can recall was a Rick Wakeman concert, opened by Savoy Brown and Gary Wright at the Anaheim convention center back in the 70s.

It’s most annoying at classical concerts, but for the most part, I can ignore it. I think I’m one of the lucky ones, though.

I have off and on tinnitus and wear hearing aids which is why I haven’t posted in any polls. I really couldn’t give a proper opinion. Some of my upper range is gone. The multi mixes help me to hear the music better.
I worked in factories for forty years and have been rocking out for about sixty.
That being said, I still enjoy listening.

I have it 100% of the time in both ears. Had it for 15-20 years at least. At one point, I obsessed about it and did research on remedies - and realized I just needed to learn to ignore it. Which I do...until stuff like this reminds me of it!

I have it 100% of the time in both ears. Had it for 15-20 years at least. At one point, I obsessed about it and did research on remedies - and realized I just needed to learn to ignore it. Which I do...until stuff like this reminds me of it!
I found that, there is no treatment other than learning to ignore it.

I first noticed it about 2 years ago. And thought , what the f... is that. Anyway I finally established it is tinnitus.

Mine is a rather a sort of high pitched "white noise" sound and it's constant. But the good news is the audiologist recommended listening to other sounds and that way you don't focus on the tinnitus.....so other sounds helps.

And listening to music helps a great deal. And when I ride my bike I listen to my iPad, provided it's not too windy.
If it is I turn my head sideways into the wind ,when possible and ever so slightly.

And to hearing loss ,yep both ears. I lost some hearing from a flu virus that went to the inner ear ,about 20 years ago. And slowly but surely started to lose some hearing over the years . Very noticeable when in conversation with someone at 10 feet distance (3.3 metres).

So about 2months ago I had to buy hearing aids, and they work ,too good sometimes.

But I mostly only wear them for conversations. Still getting use to them to.

I first noticed it about 2 years ago. And thought , what the f... is that. Anyway I finally established it is tinnitus.

Mine is a rather a sort of high pitched "white noise" sound and it's constant. But the good news is the audiologist recommended listening to other sounds and that way you don't focus on the tinnitus.....so other sounds helps.

And listening to music helps a great deal. And when I ride my bike I listen to my iPad, provided it's not too windy.
If it is I turn my head sideways into the wind ,when possible and ever so slightly.

And to hearing loss ,yep both ears. I lost some hearing from a flu virus that went to the inner ear ,about 20 years ago. And slowly but surely started to lose some hearing over the years . Very noticeable when in conversation with someone at 10 feet distance (3.3 metres).

So about 2months ago I had to buy hearing aids, and they work ,too good sometimes.

But I mostly only wear them for conversations. Still getting use to them to.
I have to sleep with a fan on. Total silence just puts a bright spotlight on the high pitched whine.

Last edited:
I got mine when a sound man at my church decided to ignore the safety rules and turned it way up.

He also added infrasonic sound to give that "chest-thumping bass". This is very painful to people who have stenosis of the helicotrema.

I changed churches as a result. The pastor was the one who wanted the chest-thumping bass.

I have a constant hiss and a small gap in my left-channel response.

Back