Eolian - first mix streaming in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popshop

800 Club - QQ All-Star
I've been mixing in atmos for a while now, but hadn't yet exported an ADM and uploaded for distribution. Yesterday I figured I may as well give it a shot on a song as a test and just see how it goes.
I released this song July 4th 2020 in stereo and 5.1, and uploaded yesterday in atmos. It is a response song to Peter Gabriel's Games Without Frontiers, thus the whistling, names, French, politics, etc.
It was interesting to then hear it on my normal 5.1.2 listening system, and on headphones on an atmos phone while switching between the atmos and non-atmos version. It was mixed in 7.1.4. Certainly some things I would change but pretty cool to hear it.
Let me know how it sounds on your system, and please give the song a like on Apple if you can; I'm sure it won't show up in the apple spatial audio "rock" category but curious on how that works.
Tech notes: I use Nuendo 11 on a PC and exported via the internal atmos renderer. I uploaded via Distrokid, who charge $27 per song. Too much, I'd say! AvidPlay is another option, and they charge $50 a year for unlimited, I think. The catch is that the stereo and atmos versions must be done together, so it would be difficult to take everything off of distrokid and bring it to AvidPlay. I'm waiting around to see what other options may come up when/if other streamers can play atmos. before I start uploading albums. Anyhoo, my first Atmos release in this new FRONTIER!
Eolian - House:
Apple: House by Eolian
https://music.apple.com/us/album/house/1632981125?i=1632981126&ls
Tidal:
https://tidal.com/browse/album/236505394

I've been mixing in atmos for a while now, but hadn't yet exported an ADM and uploaded for distribution. Yesterday I figured I may as well give it a shot on a song as a test and just see how it goes.

Just listened on my 7.1.4 mixing system. That's a fun mix. I don't have the aversion to rear drums/percussion that some have, so I thought that was quite cool. Nice spreading of the vocals. Good balance.

I listened to my heights alone the second time to see what you were doing up there. Seems to mostly be the whistle/steeldrum-ish sound and a few whispers bouncing around. Less adventurous than your ear-level, but it works.

Very nice job.

I need to get in the Atmos game! I'm stuck in the past! šŸ˜­
That aside, I did not know about AvidPlay, so finding out about that was really helpful.
Are you using Nuendo on Windows or Mac?

On Windows.
AvidPlay is sorta new, and sounds nice, but the $50 per artist, per year is every year, which was the reason I took everything off of Tunecore before going to Distrokid, haha. CD Baby also started accepting Atmos files and are $60 to $140 per album depending on the tier. It's a one-time fee. More complicated, but it is basically paying twice to upload the album. I was with CD Baby 10 or 15 years ago but may go back. What a silly dance.

Fantastic! Love how you were able to use all three pairs of floor speakers for completely distinct instrumentation (electric guitars upfront, percussion in the sides, backing vocals in rear). Any chance you'd be game to release the single in hi-res Atmos?

I don't understand how to listen to it in multi-channel. I click your Apple link, I see a preview, play it and it's only stereo.

Fantastic! Love how you were able to use all three pairs of floor speakers for completely distinct instrumentation (electric guitars upfront, percussion in the sides, backing vocals in rear). Any chance you'd be game to release the single in hi-res Atmos?
Thanks! If I were to do it again I think I would change the bass-heavy synth in the bridge to the front speakers, and put the bridge guitars from the front to the sides. The synth sounds weak in my small rear speakers on my living room listening setup.
It has been fun to mess with the 7 floor speakers. Well, the ceiling speakers are fun too. :)

Back