Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WXXOXXW ! ! !
1656900886384.png

A B S O L U T E L Y
XXP H E N O M E N A L ! ! !
1656900344217.png
Martin Scorsese THE LAST WALTZ
This Criterion edition looks and sounds 4K-razy good! A mind-blowing experience!! Highly recommended!!!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Last-Waltz-4K-Blu-ray/307219/#Review
High-Def Digest Review
https://www.slantmagazine.com/dvd/the-last-waltz-4k-review-martin-scorsese/

WXXOXXW ! ! !
View attachment 80912
A B S O L U T E L Y
XXP H E N O M E N A L ! ! !
View attachment 80911Martin Scorsese THE LAST WALTZ
This Criterion edition looks and sounds 4K-razy good! A mind-blowing experience!! Highly recommended!!!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Last-Waltz-4K-Blu-ray/307219/#Review
High-Def Digest Review
https://www.slantmagazine.com/dvd/the-last-waltz-4k-review-martin-scorsese/
The amazon reviews say Neil Young & Dr. John sets are missing but were on the original DVD, is that true? BTW I got the triple LP in 1978 for my 21st b'day

The amazon reviews say Neil Young & Dr. John sets are missing but were on the original DVD, is that true? BTW I got the triple LP in 1978 for my 21st b'day
I watched full performances of "Helpless" and "Such A Night." I was weeping during "Helpless" (really touched me because of things i'm going through now) and smiling during "Such A Night." Now sure what could be missing. Here is a review with a screenshot of Neil:

https://www.highdefwatch.com/post/criterion-pulls-out-all-the-stops-on-the-last-waltz-4k-uhd
I can't recommend this release enough. It really helped me through a rough spot yesterday. I may watch it again today! And play it LOUD!
Edit: I found the review you reference from Chameleon #1 written on 4 April 2020. Not sure what Chameleon is referencing; this 4K was released on 29 March 2022. Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Last edited:
Donnie Darko - Theatrical Cut (2001) 4K:
1. I'm late to the party due to a muck-up with the Theatrical Cut (my preferred cut) disc which rendered it playable only on a handful of players and a stuttering mess on everything else. Arrow replaced those Limited Edition discs Donnie Darko UHD Replacement Programme - Arrow Films but then the Standard Edition came out and I figured I'd be safe to buy it cos there's no way they'd make the same mistake twice, right? Nope. The error was reproduced in the Standard Edition also. Arrow sent me a replacement Standard Edition but as both are duds, they refunded me. They're not acknowledging this muck-up either so it's boo-hoo for the customer from here on in I guess. I managed to get a Limited Edition with corrected disc (which has a small "v2" on it) here: CORRECTED UHD Donnie Darko (LE Arrow 4k UHD) – DiabolikDVD
2. I watched it last night and the 4K scan + Dolby Vision looked superb. Had to monkey with the TV's black levels to see what was in the shadows but got it looking how I want it.
3. DTS-MA 5.1 is the same as the previous BD release and is pretty good. A few sections of discrete surround activity.
4. Such a great flick. Good times.
5. Would have been good if, instead of the hardback book containing interviews and such, it came with The Philosophy of Time-Travel book.

I should have posted about this on Sunday, when I got my copy in and watched it, but waited til today when it's out for REAL (I got mine early)

Everything-Everywhere-All-at-Once-4K-Blu-ray.jpg

Everything Everywhere All At Once (4K BD-100 with Dolby Vision and demo worthy Dolby Atmos!!!!!!!)

Saw this on a lark on wide opening weekend as it had a limited run theater release that had oh so many people I follow on twitter losing their minds. This... probably is the best movie of the year. Yes, I know there's a whole half of the year to go, but no, really, this is the best movie of the year.

At it's heart, it's a family drama... but on top of that it's a delightful tribute to Multiverse sci-fi stories, Pixar, The Matrix (down to doing a tribute to the "I Know Kung Fu" fight scene), and martial arts movies.

It's bonkers, it's bright, its colorful, it's loud, and it's genius. Run, don't walk to pick this up. I ended up getting the Walmart exclusive cover/slipcase seen here, but there's a alternate cover for all other retailers.

NOW Streaming on HULU in 4K, Actor, Director, co~writer Jim Cumming's THE BETA TEST. Shot on a miniscule budget of $300K, the always cerebral Cummings whose two previous films THUNDER ROAD and THE WOLF OF SNOW HOLLOW were Indie 'darlings,' has all the trappings of AMERICAN PSYCHO.

Six weeks before his wedding, Hollywood 'agent' Jordan Hines receives an anonymous invitation in his mailbox directing him to a local hotel for the purpose of having a sexual liaison. At first he's intrigued but disposes of the invite but a second letter with a hotel key card convinces him to proceed with the dalliance. With a mask attached to the hotel room door, he enters into a steamy sexual encounter with a gorgeous woman likewise wearing a mask.

Thrown totally off balance, Hines is obsessed with meeting this exotic stranger again and will stop at nothing to not only discover her identity but also the genesis of the anonymous invitations.

Spiraling out of control and endangering his relationshop with his trusting fiance, Hines' descent into madness buoyed by an amazing performance from Cummings brings THE BETA TEST to a quizzically perplexing denouement.

25896_1_large.jpg

91NweqomrSL._SL1500_.jpg

NOW Streaming on HULU in 4K, Actor, Director, co~writer Jim Cumming's THE BETA TEST. Shot on a miniscule budget of $300K, the always cerebral Cummings whose two previous films THUNDER ROAD and THE WOLF OF SNOW HOLLOW were Indie 'darlings,' has all the trappings of AMERICAN PSYCHO.

Six weeks before his wedding, Hollywood 'agent' Jordan Hines receives an anonymous invitation in his mailbox directing him to a local hotel for the purpose of having a sexual liaison. At first he's intrigued but disposes of the invite but a second letter with a hotel key card convinces him to proceed with the dalliance. With a mask attached to the hotel room door, he enters into a steamy sexual encounter with a gorgeous woman likewise wearing a mask.

Thrown totally off balance, Hines is obsessed with meeting this exotic stranger again and will stop at nothing to not only discover her identity but also the genesis of the anonymous invitations.

Spiraling out of control and endangering his relationshop with his trusting fiance, Hines' descent into madness buoyed by an amazing performance from Cummings brings THE BETA TEST to a quizzically perplexing denouement.

25896_1_large.jpg

91NweqomrSL._SL1500_.jpg
This is in my Amazon cart and I'm awaiting the NZ dollar to sort itself out or for me to just go, "whatever" and order it along with a bunch of other stuff.

On September 27th, Paramount Home Video will release Byron Haskin's iconic WAR OF THE WORLDS in Native UHD4K which will also include a newly remastered BD~V of WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE.

And those, who like myself, own the Criterion 1080p BD~V can either store it in a time capsule or gift it to a deserving friend ... or relative!

R.1f0a344ca2abc1116e4526c0b55a63b3

R.d26517a3e23153cf516e18e31565cfcf

Last edited:
GREASE 2 IS THE WORD, as WELL. Paramount Home Video knocks it out of the ballpark with the newly released STEELBOOK edition of GREASE 2 with a TERRIFIC, and I mean TERRIFIC Michelle Pfeiffer! And I only paid $12.32 for it during Deep Discount's recent 15% off sale. And the steelbook is MARVELOUS. And the Dolby True HD 5.1 soundtrack is immersive! File under guilty pleasure!

81a80Mi5UIL._SL1500_.jpg

GREASE 2 IS THE WORD, as WELL. Paramount Home Video knocks it out of the ballpark with the newly released STEELBOOK edition of GREASE 2 with a TERRIFIC, and I mean TERRIFIC Michelle Pfeiffer! And I only paid $12.32 for it during Deep Discount's recent 15% off sale. And the steelbook is MARVELOUS. And the Dolby True HD 5.1 soundtrack is immersive! File under guilty pleasure!

81a80Mi5UIL._SL1500_.jpg
Michelle is a highly under-rated actress - probably due to her good looks.

... and if you wanna see Max playing a psycho, check out Mindgames or Mind Games or however many words it is: Mind Games Blu-ray (Special Edition) Not a bad TV movie kinda feel which is a little different to the usual nutbar movies and has lots of interesting extras (well, I found them interesting anyway).

Last edited:
Back