HiRez Poll Foreigner - FOREIGNER [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Foreigner - FOREIGNER

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on the DVD-A (y) :phones (n)

Foreigner Green Front.jpgForeigner Green Back.jpg

Last edited:
I was never a Foreigner fan, and had never bought any of thier CD's. But was very glad i bought this one. I was shocked at how good the songs were, and the surround mix is very good. I gave it a 10, Great. :)

Edit. I voted on the wrong Foreigner thread. I will give this one a 8 but I punched a nine by mistake. I prefer Foreigner 4 more for content. The mix on bothe are good, but not great IMO.

Very good mix, ultraslick sound typical of '70s 'arena rock,' even if these guys were superior to Journey(such as that may be)...:D Gave it a '7,' not one to get much play, but at least it's available....

ED

I just picked up this disc, and I really like it. I've always preferred the music on their first release to their others. Sound quality is very good, and the mix is an aggressive "in the room" style. Almost all of the rhythm guitars, keyboards, and drums are in the rear speakers, with the lead vocals and guitar up front. I gave it an 8, but I really could go with a 9 based on the extras -- 4 bonus demo tracks and two videos as well. Well worth it.

Fun album and pretty good sounding DVD-A, but I was dissapointed with the surround mix. Seems pretty much half-baked. Overall, I give it a 6... an entirely average surround-sound retrofit.

They couldn't have picked a better Foreigner album to put into surround. The mix is great and the sonics are fantastic. I wouldn't call this a revelation, but damn close. A solid 9.

I would have preferred the hits comp, which would have given us more bang for the buck. This was a singles band, really, and that's where the most memorable work is found. They always came up with two or three catchy ones per Lp, but could get kinda rote and conventional with the rest(a problem I also had with The Cars, whose sound is equally polished).
Still, two DVD-A's was better than nothing!

ED :)

7. I just picked up this disc. This is the first time I heard the album and found it to be OK. The surround mix effectively positions the instruments among the five point one speakers. Recommended.

Another 10 from me. This has long been one of my all-time favorite albums. I'd like to call myself a Foreigner fan, but I lost interest after the first three albums. Anyway, this was also one of my first MC purchases and now, three years and about 50 MC discs later, this mix still thrills me. The sound is every bit as exciting (and more so) as it was back in the day.

I listened to this one again this morning, and it became obvious to me that a lot more effort was put into these early DVD-A releases. This one has MC mixes of demos, different photo galleries for each song, and track by track commentary by Mick Jones (in the left surround) and Lou Gramm (in the right surround). Anyway, as I hold this disc in my hands all I can think is how much value has been added.

If you ever liked this album at all, or if you ever liked Foreigner at all, this is a must-have, IMHO.

This is a solid album and mix, but for the best Foreigner 5.1 experience, I think 4 edges this one out by a decent margin.

Like everyone else says here, "4" is the better DVD-A.

I was not expecting much from the original "Foreigner" album but I think it holds up pretty well over the years. "Feels Like The First Time" and "Cold As Ice" sounds more like what the band will become, but it's interesting to hear the other songs as well.

Gave it a 9.

Very nice overall package on this one as well as "4". Sonic-wise "4" has the edge, but there are some really nice mixes on some of these tracks. I remember when Foreigner and Boston released their first albums my friends and I debated who the better band was. Can you imagine what the first Boston album would sound like in hi rez mc?

Who's Foreigner?

I asked myself that in the summer of 1977, when a band I never heard of and knew nothing about had "Feels Like the First Time" all over the radio. Okay-sounding on my car FM, but where do these "hot" new groups come from, and who picks them? What's the big deal?

Twenty-five years later I picked up this album, and now I get it.
If I had been a record company suit and somebody brought this in on a tape, I wouldn't have been able to sleep for days.

Great singing, explosive energy, and really quite well-recorded -- by any standard, not just the 70's.

The DVD-A gives the sound a nitro blast into the 21st century with kick-ass drums and clean power vocals. Strangely, the power guitar chords are mixed back a little in the chorus on Feels, compared with the stereo mix.

The surround mix is spread well. Nothing really imaginative, and not quite as discrete as I'd like. Don't like the re-inclusion of Feel's break guitar line (removed in the original), and Cold as Ice is somehow a slight disappointment beside the stereo. Best track, mixwise: Fool for you Anyway. Very dramatic -- the extra channels are used well to accentuate the dynamics. As is "Star Rider" -- a mini space epic. I've never heard either in stereo, and now I don't want to. Ever.

Maybe half the tracks are filler I've tried to like but mostly skip over. The best five cuts, however, range from very good to knockout. A very solid effort. 8.

Last edited:
8 here too . The great songs sound great but a few tracks have dated poorly.
Good efforts on the mix though.

~M~

Back