PREVIEW: Written and arranged in Quad from the start. XI: BLEED HERE NOW by ...and you will know us by the Trail of Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sure... I'll reach out to the label. the "rest of the world" label is Dine Alone, which is based in Canada. Maybe it takes a bit to get to the US Amazon for the CD. At this point, I'm only aware of the EU blu-ray, so...

I was based in LA but in NY semi-often. 1999-2006. We’re you there too?
I was the Warner Bros local promo mgr in NYC from about 1988 - 1997 so we would not have overlapped - but I was very friendly with the Interscope rep during those days - so many laughs, so many good memories, and so much great music 👍🏼

Giving these a listen...
There's a lot to like here! Right off the bat, this has proper levels for rock (-12 LUFS) and it isn't shrill garbage that sounds like it was mastered on speakers with blown out tweeters! (Something many major labels can't figure out nowadays.)

I like the punk vibe too!

The critique then:
You have actual digital clipping! Never acceptable. The lowly Waves L2 would clean up what was probably 1 - 4db overs.
Lots of mud and masking! And then putting the drums in big mono in all speakers adds to that.
I get that there's a punk and bombastic vibe here and respect that! Just a bit more discrete though and go after the masking so you can more clearly here the instruments would serve this well and not ruin it. It kind of sounds like you're intentionally trying to hide the drum performance.

Still better than a lot of recent major label releases as is!

Oh, and put the finals into 5.1 format with blank C & Lfe channels for all the media players that don't conform to format standards.

Giving these a listen...
There's a lot to like here! Right off the bat, this has proper levels for rock (-12 LUFS) and it isn't shrill garbage that sounds like it was mastered on speakers with blown out tweeters! (Something many major labels can't figure out nowadays.)

I like the punk vibe too!

The critique then:
You have actual digital clipping! Never acceptable. The lowly Waves L2 would clean up what was probably 1 - 4db overs.
Lots of mud and masking! And then putting the drums in big mono in all speakers adds to that.
I get that there's a punk and bombastic vibe here and respect that! Just a bit more discrete though and go after the masking so you can more clearly here the instruments would serve this well and not ruin it. It kind of sounds like you're intentionally trying to hide the drum performance.

Still better than a lot of recent major label releases as is!

Oh, and put the finals into 5.1 format with blank C & Lfe channels for all the media players that don't conform to format standards.
Thank you for the listen and great feedback. I hear what you’re saying on the drums. There are two drum kits.

Scary that you’re getting any overs, though. These are limited to -0.1dB.

Looks like you clipped it and THEN normalized THAT to -0.1dbfs.

Perhaps meant to export the file at 32 bit floating point (which allows positive values) before final limiting but accidentally exported that at 24 bit fixed? That would do it.

Zoomed out, one might assume those flat areas are just very light peak limiting of some stray peaks. Zooming in... Clipped!

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 5.49.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 5.51.09 PM.png

Looks like you clipped it and THEN normalized THAT to -0.1dbfs.

Perhaps meant to export the file at 32 bit floating point (which allows positive values) before final limiting but accidentally exported that at 24 bit fixed? That would do it.

Zoomed out, one might assume those flat areas are just very light peak limiting of some stray peaks. Zooming in... Clipped!

View attachment 79585View attachment 79584
Excellent ear. We really worked to keep dynamics but clearly pushed it a little too hard. I will do better next time because of your thoughtful feedback. You've made some excellent points on this forum that I highly respect... this being one of them. Thank you @jimfisheye for the thorough listen and review.

Excellent ear. We really worked to keep dynamics but clearly pushed it a little too hard. I will do better next time because of your thoughtful feedback. You've made some excellent points on this forum that I highly respect... this being one of them. Thank you @jimfisheye for the thorough listen and review.
Hey kamranv,
I think you DO have dynamics under control. I just noticed the clipping and thought I should say something as a mastering engineer. Looks for all the world like you intended to limit a few peaks by a db or 3 but something got away.

I usually call myself a mastering engineer before a mixer. I think I don't suck at mixing but mixing is creating new life. Mastering is just doing no damage to already existing life. "Just" is a loaded comment there but hopefully you get my point.

All I can say is that listening to a few surround mixed with dualing drum kits mixed front vs back or side to side but with very discrete definition can really be effective. I can't help but mention that! Maybe there's a way to keep your mix aesthetic and expand on that? (I'm thinking of something like King Crimson Thrak that places the two drummers front vs back.)

Hope the suggestions are welcome either way!

I haven't gotten a clear answer but I have a strong feeling not since I think only the German label is doing the Blu-Ray
InsideOut does (or did?) have a U.S. subsidiary. Plus, it's distributed by Sony, so that should increase global market penetration and availability. None of this guarantees U.S. distribution of all InsideOut releases, of course.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this. I don't really know the group but there seems a great variety of instuments in their songs. I really like the quad mix which makes good use of all the speakers. Some of it is slighltly too compressed for my taste but it never seems to get to the stage of being fatiguing so I can cope with that. Funnily enough I was very impressed with the start of one of the songs which seems to be heavily compressed with the volume set at a low level before opening out to a louder main body for the song itself - a very nice touch. An interesting and fun listen.

I'll listen with decent volume when I get home. That Pitchfork review, wow, sounds like a band I've been missing out on.
The two record set sure was a limited run. 300? Release date tomorrow, but an ebay seller in Italy already has it for $100. My bad, I've got to learn to look into new bands and not skip over posts about a band I've never heard.
I did hear OF them though, that's a memorable name!

Back