Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@JediJoker
I passed at purchasing this LP back in the days of latter day quads (78?) , but if your parents have the LP it will say on the reverse album cover , very discretely on the bottom that it is a Columbia SQ encoded album .

Unfortunately those single inventory albums did not transfer that vital info for us collectors with the issuance of any CDS.

Somewhat like these 2 (Annie OC , Thijs Van Leer Introspection 2)

Attachments

• 16576466727174397784200065954527.jpg
    16576466727174397784200065954527.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 0
@JediJoker
I passed at purchasing this LP back in the days of latter day quads (78?) , but if your parents have the LP it will say on the reverse album cover , very discretely on the bottom that it is a Columbia SQ encoded album .

Unfortunately those single inventory albums did not transfer that vital info for us collectors with the issuance of any CDS.

Somewhat like these 2 (Annie OC , Thijs Van Leer Introspection 2)
Interesting comments here by Mr. McHugh-

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...and-new-orleans-vol-i-in-sq.5617/#post-466787

Post in thread 'SUN RA -Magic City. Impulse AS-9243 (QS) Is it really QUAD?' https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-9243-qs-is-it-really-quad.25369/post-388212*

One of Ed Michel 's "QS unmarked" albums on cd ...arrived in the mail today. Stereo and QS mix and encode by the Ed Michel/Baker Bigsby team.

FWIW It sounds excellent...for a live , reunion album. DBQ - 25th reunion , originally released in 76 or 77 on the Horizon/A & M label.
This disc has a beautiful and lengthy version of the hit track "Take Five".

Ed Michel's stereo and quad listings*can be found at the top of this post ,and thanks goes to Mark for the stellar sleuthing job.

Attachments

• 16576665488647150478071254235312.jpg
    16576665488647150478071254235312.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 16576665805929093777847868692351.jpg
    16576665805929093777847868692351.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 0
Who says CD is probably not the leading format in demand..........not me !

Another cd combo arrived in the mail today . This time a twofer of Thijs Van Leer Introspection 1 and 2.
Both were available in SQ quad back in the day....but only Introspection 2 was a single inventory SQ album .
(#1 was a dual inventory.) A "stupid narrow minded" decision by CBS Columbia Masterworks who promoted(?) quad stereo compatibility.)

So in SQ quad ...Introspection II on 💿 cd.

Attachments

• 1657766339060646187737435842264.jpg
    1657766339060646187737435842264.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 16577664016381499665650215027478.jpg
    16577664016381499665650215027478.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 0
Apparently, there are no official Stereo-4 matrix encoded CDs, anyone found any official DynaQuad matrix encoded CDs (I know there were very few DynaQuad encoded LPs)?

Kirk Bayne

Apparently, there are no official Stereo-4 matrix encoded CDs, anyone found any official DynaQuad matrix encoded CDs (I know there were very few DynaQuad encoded LPs)?

Kirk Bayne

So you found no early Ovation quads on CD , Kirk ?

As to Dynaquad ,IIRC someone posted THE Flame ,was available.

Last edited:
Who says CD is probably not the leading format in demand..........not me !

Another cd combo arrived in the mail today . This time a twofer of Thijs Van Leer Introspection 1 and 2.
Both were available in SQ quad back in the day....but only Introspection 2 was a single inventory SQ album .
(#1 was a dual inventory.) A "stupid narrow minded" decision by CBS Columbia Masterworks who promoted(?) quad stereo compatibility.)

So in SQ quad ...Introspection II on 💿 cd.

I read somewhere that his Introspection 3 was SQ but not labeled as such. It was 1977, so it's possible. The album wasn't available in the US (or at least not pressed here.)

I read somewhere that his Introspection 3 was SQ but not labeled as such. It was 1977, so it's possible. The album wasn't available in the US (or at least not pressed here.)

You might have read it from me. IIRC I made mention of it being an SQ recording ,or should i say ...possible SQ recording.
Back when he had a website...OD mentioned that it was a "stealth" SQ recording....and that's where I got the information....so ....take it for what was provided .
I meant to get that 3rd Introspection on CD , and probably will.
I know that the Dutch Studio Dureco released a few SQ albums , not available anywhere else , which I've seen.
Mostly ones where Dick Bakker are involved in the mix or Production.
So it's a strong likelihood that the 3rd is SQ encoded , but I'd like to buy it to make certain .

Edit dick bakker

You might have read it from me. IIRC I made mention of it being an SQ recording ,or should i say ...possible SQ recording.
Back when he had a website...OD mentioned that it was a "stealth" SQ recording....and that's where I got the information....so ....take it for what was provided .
I know that the Dutch Studio Dureco released a few SQ albums , not available anywhere else , which I've seen.
So it's a strong likelihood that the 3rd is SQ encoded , but I'd like to buy it to make certain .

Edit dick bakker
Whatever you think of OD, if he says that it is a stealth SQ quad then it most likely it is!

Whatever you think of OD, if he says that it is a stealth SQ quad then it most likely it is!

You know what's really weird, Ken.....he had an album in 45j , yes it was prominently indicated , and this after I had to convince him that 45j was the original indication for ambisonics. I think he's a believer now.

There was a couple other CD'S he said were SQ , so whoever is interested....Rick Wakeman Six Wives ,is one.

And I believe he mentioned that Tommy LSO CD version was QS encoded.

Given that info I'd be curious to know if any of the other A&M CD'S that had a matrix quad release , are in their respective quad matrix ??

Edit on Tommy LSO :

someone reminded me that it still has to be vetted , so sorry 😞

Last edited:
Just bought an mp3 of a Rich Mountain Tower song (listened via DynaQuad & original DS), could very well be Stereo-4, I may have to get out my EVX-4 [with my basement fire extinguisher standing by, since I haven't turned the decoder on since 1983-04 ;) ]

Here's the song I just bought:

Kirk Bayne

Just bought an mp3 of a Rich Mountain Tower song (listened via DynaQuad & original DS), could very well be Stereo-4, I may have to get out my EVX-4 [with my basement fire extinguisher standing by, since I haven't turned the decoder on since 1983-04 ;) ]

Here's the song I just bought:

Kirk Bayne

I have that disc on the way. The website also had the vinyl available, which is clearly marked as quad. It was in EV Stereo-4, and the LP (I have the original) sounds great through the SM. A very active quad mix. I expect the CD will, too.

Comment from the YouTube audio:
"Rich Mountain Tower was from Knoxville and Maryville, Tennessee. Dana Paul was the lead singer and composer of most of the songs. According to their manager, Scott Gertner, this was the first album ever released in 'Quadraphonic Stereo.'"

One (beautiful music) stereo FM station here (KMBR) was broadcasting some Stereo-4 encoded music in mid-1972, I happened to hear part of their announcement about the experimental Stereo-4 broadcasts.

Kirk Bayne

Comment from the YouTube audio:
"Rich Mountain Tower was from Knoxville and Maryville, Tennessee. Dana Paul was the lead singer and composer of most of the songs. According to their manager, Scott Gertner, this was the first album ever released in 'Quadraphonic Stereo.'"

One (beautiful music) stereo FM station here (KMBR) was broadcasting some Stereo-4 encoded music in mid-1972, I happened to hear part of their announcement about the experimental Stereo-4 broadcasts.

Kirk Bayne
I don't believe it was the first album ever released in quad, although it was one of Ovation's earliest releases. I think Project 3 beat them to it, when they claimed the first quad LP ever, using the EV Stereo-4 system.

I don't believe it was the first album ever released in quad, although it was one of Ovation's earliest releases. I think Project 3 beat them to it, when they claimed the first quad LP ever, using the EV Stereo-4 system.
Oh , I'd of thought the first quad LP would've been The Flame -The Flame encoded in DY 4D released on Brother Records.
My copy states 1970 , and was released on Brother/Capitol Records.

not knocking him, he's only human and got the odd one wrong.
i remember he had a go at Weather Report's "Tale Spinnin'" and turned out he'd decoded some version that not only wasn't SQ encoded, it wasn't the Quad mix either 🙂

Edit dick bakker
i half-tried to look into the validity of III being Quad but gave up and moved on, pleasant enough but its not like the other two Introspection's were Quad spectaculars anyway ✌️

Back