SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I can tell, this is going to be both a studio album in stereo, 5.1, and Atmos, with a bonus video section of the premiere live from Tanglewood.
81LvSwTgoxL._SL750_.jpg

Here's the 2nd movement:

I bought his Vienna Blu-ray and enjoyed that one; is there a link for purchase someplace?

Thanks

I bought his Vienna Blu-ray and enjoyed that one; is there a link for purchase someplace?

Thanks
Amazon link: Amazon.com: Williams: Violin Concerto No. 2 & Selected Film : Movies & TV

It's much cheaper from other places like Presto. Especially with the Euro equal to the dollar that may be a better move.

Information source: ‘Violin Concerto No. 2 and Selected Film Themes’ To Be Released on June 3 – UPDATE: Blu-ray Coming August 19 – JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network – JWFAN

https://www.prestomusic.com/classic...ams-violin-concerto-no-2-selected-film-themes
I believe I heard the Euro’s is at a 20 year low compared to the US Dollar, but not sure yet what Presto charges for shipping.

"The three-dimensional concert experience with Immersive Audio is based on Dolby Atmos. There are now numerous devices that are Dolby Atmos-capable – from headphones to home cinema equipment. Perhaps you already have such a device without knowing it."
https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/immersive
Streaming atmos in a browser, a first for me 🤯
1658272886730.png

PS. Even better I find that I have access via my "institution" 🤞

Thanks for the info, ubertrout....Actually 1/2 of AmazonUS price [$18.50]

FYI, Presto is also offering 30% off BIS SACDs and downloads until July 25th

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/promotions/bis

By "institution" I thought he meant his college/university or public library system gave him access to the BPO DCH, in the same way my college gives alumni a sign-in to JSTOR and my public library makes Hoopla available for streaming movies and music.
Oh. OK.

Yes and yes. It's the Berliner Digital Concert Hall. I happened to click on one of their emails while at my university, and it said I had access.

For me the interesting part is the availability of atmos and the ability to play it on a Mac through the safari browser (no AVR).

Last edited:
Maybe mentioned before, but I just noticed "Enjoy state-of-the-art audio-visual experiences—including 4K UHD and Dolby Atmos on select programs" at
https://www.carnegiehallplus.comI see fewer than a handful of programs in atmos though (browsing in the Apple TV app).
EDIT Maybe more than a handful but less than 2 handfuls. They have a free 7-day trial.

Last edited:
I've been discovering the joy of Mahler's 5th symphony of late. Although I've got a few Mahler box set I keep on listening to the second or third symphony or Das Lied but I think I'm now ready to start enjoying #5. I've heard all the symphonies of course, it's just the 2 and 3 and too good, as is Das Lied. But I feel it's time to indulge #5. I mean, if it's good enough for Bernstein to take a copy to the grave with him then surely it's good enough for me while I'm still breathing lol

I've been discovering the joy of Mahler's 5th symphony of late. Although I've got a few Mahler box set I keep on listening to the second or third symphony or Das Lied but I think I'm now ready to start enjoying #5. I've heard all the symphonies of course, it's just the 2 and 3 and too good, as is Das Lied. But I feel it's time to indulge #5. I mean, if it's good enough for Bernstein to take a copy to the grave with him then surely it's good enough for me while I'm still breathing lol
It's a heartbreaker. And once you know it well, it'll be time to watch Visconti's adaptation of "Death In Venice" with Dirk Bogarde.

Since 3/4 of the shipment I received today from jpc.de is classical, I thought I'd post in this thread.

Didn't really need still more versions of any of the Stravinsky ballets, but liked the performances (and the Atmos mixes) when I heard them on Apple Music--and figured the 5.1 mixes wouldn't sound that much different.

This will be my first experience with the Engegård Quartet. Does anyone know the other recordings--early 2L releases? The program on this one (Schubert, Ratkje, Britten, Haydn) appealed to me the most.

IMG_20220727_162753771.jpg

I like the colorful ones too
1658966545809.png

One of the Haydn tracks is on that 2L Nordic sound sampler.

Back