Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, two questions immediately come to mind...
1) Does everything still work? (The first pic with the Sony minidisc player, I had one of those but it died within two years.)
And,
2) What are the museum's hours?
I'll answer to your second question first (pun intended):
My buddy kap'n krunch mad a joke, I'm a huge collector though. I should really think of a museum one day.

Everything is hooked and working in the main room, which is where is the most number of components. Sometimes I do some conversions from domestic R2R or video tape standards that are hard to find here. I don't have a U-matic because many old local TV stations throw everithing back in the day.

I'm still upgrading my stuff to enjoy full 11.1 Atmos sound, but it's funny I started with a simple software script on Audition having only a DVD player 15 years ago.

BTW, it's hard to see on those pictures but I have a Wolverine film scanner for the old 8mm super8 films and a projector ready.

Am I completely crazy? Yes, I am!! ;)

I wouldn't worry over speaker damage from the extra power. Speaker damage most often occurs from amplifiers driven to high distortion levels which has a tendency to fry tweeters. If your music stills sounds clean you should be safe.
Yep underpowered, clipping, flat-topping bad for tweeters and mids too. You need more than enough power on reserve to stay out of that!

My pair of Pioneer SPEC-4s with consecutive serial numbers rarely get over 10 Watts and that's LOUD! No way I could ever get into clipping.

spec4-finished2.jpg

spec4-installed2Feb2012.jpg

spec4-ser.849-850.jpg

Those are awesome. My best buddy has an original Spec-4 as well.
The only weak point in them are the solder connections on the boards. I had one blow up in one channel. Turned on the system one day, about 15 seconds later smelled burning resistors! One amp was in protection mode. Upon close examination many of the factory wave-soldered connections were cracked or beginning to. Took both amplifiers apart, replaced the damaged semi-conductors and resistors on that one amplifier ass'y, and re-soldered EVERYTHING on all boards in both amps, scrubbed down the old brown resin flux on the boards with alcohol and a toothbrush, cleaned them up really well, and replaced the big final capacitors too since one of the originals was starting to leak. Checked all the other capacitors. That was 10 years ago.

pio-spec4-solder2-a.jpg

I'll answer to your second question first (pun intended):
My buddy kap'n krunch mad a joke, I'm a huge collector though. I should really think of a museum one day.

Everything is hooked and working in the main room, which is where is the most number of components. Sometimes I do some conversions from domestic R2R or video tape standards that are hard to find here. I don't have a U-matic because many old local TV stations throw everithing back in the day.

I'm still upgrading my stuff to enjoy full 11.1 Atmos sound, but it's funny I started with a simple software script on Audition having only a DVD player 15 years ago.

BTW, it's hard to see on those pictures but I have a Wolverine film scanner for the old 8mm super8 films and a projector ready.

Am I completely crazy? Yes, I am!! ;)
OUR KIND OF CRAZY, FRATELLO!!!
..and oh, the miracles you made (and me too consequently, I am still enjoying the results from those Audition scripts back then...)
Abraci!!

Seems like they share more than a visual relationship to the Phase Linear 700B. ;)
I remember seeing the Phase Linear 700B "back in the day" but know nothing about it. Pioneer's SPEC-2 was more of a direct competitor because it was rated at 250 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms both channels driven etc. I'd say any electronics that are still functioning after the 42 years I've had those SPEC-4s, other than one channel failure and a handful of parts to fix it, probably ain't bad.

Also posted in the Pet and Critters thread. This is circa 1981. I still have the speakers although they have been highly modified. The dbx equipment is long gone as is my dear old doggie.

View attachment 81553
I used to own a dbx box that I paired with a Revox B77. Unfortunately, I no longer own either.

Last edited:
I used to own a dbx box that I paired with a Revox B77. Unfortunately, I no longer own either.
Some people do not realize that the remote control for the dbx 3bx came with additional controls over those included with the base unit. In addition to the Transition Level and Expansion controls that were on the base unit, the remote control also included:

Release Time: An adjustment for how quickly the Expansion level worked. Generally, it would be set slower for symphonies and faster for rhythmic pop such as disco.

Volume: Really nice as this was in a time before we could keep our lazy butts on the couch like we do nowadays.

HF Transition: There was a knob on the back behind a removable plate to tune the upper band transition level to one's taste. Why this was buried on the back of the unit behind a plate was always a mystery to me.

Fader: Very handy when one got sick of run-on endings of certain songs. LOL

Plus we got an extra set of those mesmerizing yellow and red LEDs.

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 11.33.35 AM.jpg

Last edited:
I used to own a DBX 100 Subharmonic Synthesizer, as can be seen in the very top right photo, sitting atop a Phase Linear 1000 Autocorrelator Noise Reduction System. They could occasionally be engaged to take control of particularly noisy LP's "back in the day".
Thank God and Grayhound for the Compact Disc. ;)
What's not showing in the photo are the speakers, this was one of the great Rock & Roll systems of the 1980s. 350wpc from a Phase Linear 700B power amp into a pair of Klipsch La Scala's. It didn't get much better till the PL 1000 cleaned up LP noise and expanded dynamic range, then the DBX 100 could add in a bunch of the missing LP bass.

Humm, what's wrong with my account? I cant upload any pictures or use anything in the editing header at all?

Never mind, I fixed it. Some dummy shutoff BB codes here, ME.
Anyhow, here's the intended photo for above post. My rig circa 1985?
View attachment 81575

Cool set up & quality gear for the 80's. When everyone else were buying those rack tower systems. Like HITB but stereo. Do I spy a Mitsubishi F20 tuner up there? They go for crazy high prices on Ebay.

Do I spy a Mitsubishi F20 tuner up there?
Yea, they were great tuners and pretty KOOL looking at the same time. It was the first really affordable tuner with a digital readout plus including the analog dial.
I was really sad selling mine, but I had no further need for it, nor the space in my little retirement home.

A 700B wouldn't get much airtime on a quad forum, or probably any forum, but you gotta love those big meters and it's just a beast. Hasn't seen much use over the years...but it always sounds good to me and surprisingly, it's quiet.
View attachment 81592

Quiet? My receiver has never talked back to me. Now if you had two 700Bs, now your talking quad!

Back