Elton John "Madman Across The Water" 50th Anniversary Box Set (3 CDs & 5.1 Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that. But there is no requirement to include lossless codecs on a blueray. And I don't believe this release ever touted lossless tracks. Did I miss something?
I think many people (or maybe just me?) might have taken DTS HD HR to mean lossless…until this thread, I did not understand the nuances of that vs MA…I will have my guard up in the future 🧐

I think many people (or maybe just me?) might have taken DTS HD HR to mean lossless…until this thread, I did not understand the nuances of that vs MA…I will have my guard up in the future 🧐
The whole thing is strange, nowadays lossless audio on Blu-ray is pretty much expected and considered standard. That format is really old and was rarely used and there’s certainly no reason to even mention it in 2022. I knew it was lossy but this whole thing got me reading more into it and apparently there’s no difference at all from the core DTS Digital found on some DVD’s from that era.

You guy,s when you contact Universal, you SHOULD mention their SCREW-UP of putting lossy DTS on the Bluray instead of DTS HD MASTER, so that they can make that correction too on the re-pressed Bluray !!!!!!!!!!
It was a feature, not a bug.

The whole thing is strange, nowadays lossless audio on Blu-ray is pretty much expected and considered standard. That format is really old and was rarely used and there’s certainly no reason to even mention it in 2022. I knew it was lossy but this whole thing got me reading more into it and apparently there’s no difference at all from the core DTS Digital found on some DVD’s from that era.
I am hoping my (aging) ears will not notice the difference 👂!!!

i'll bet you could put the entire contents of the BD on a DVD if you had the video content (hopefully/maybe sourced from broadcast video tape?) at 480p/576i, which is probably about all it would warrant!
As an experiment I re-encoded the multi-channel DSD stream into a lossless LPCM stream at 96/24 (which came out at 4.56GB). Then I re-muxed the LPCM stream into the .MLP container (as used with the DVD-Audio format), which reduced the audio stream to 2.79GB: -
Code:
General
Complete name                            : D:\Madman Across The Water\Multi-channel [47.14] LPCM @ 96.24.mlp
Format                                   : MLP
Format/Info                              : Meridian Lossless Packing
Commercial name                          : MLP Lossless
File size                                : 2.79 GiB
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable

Audio
Format                                   : MLP
Format/Info                              : Meridian Lossless Packing
Commercial name                          : MLP Lossless
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Maximum bit rate                         : 9 594 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Sampling rate                            : 96.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 1 200.000 FPS (80 SPF)
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossless

Re-encoding the 2-channel (stereo) DSD stream into a lossless LPCM stream at 96/24, comes in at 1.47GB
Code:
General
Complete name                            : D:\Madman Across The Water\2-channel (Stereo) [45.32]\LPCM @ 96.24.wav
Format                                   : Wave
File size                                : 1.47 GiB
Duration                                 : 45 min 32 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 4 608 kb/s

Audio
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Little / Signed
Codec ID                                 : 1
Duration                                 : 45 min 32 s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 4 608 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 96.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Stream size                              : 1.47 GiB (100%)

Cheers

Last edited:
UMC to correct Elton John blu-ray error
Universal Music Catalogue have apologised to fans over the discovery of an issue with the blu-ray that forms part of the Elton John Madman Across The Water 3CD+blu-ray deluxe set and have promised that the issue will be corrected “at no cost” to fans who have already pre-ordered the box.

Article Continues:
UMC to correct Elton John blu-ray error – SuperDeluxeEdition

Has anyone received the replacement disc yet? I haven’t seen or heard anything since the initial reply.

I sent them an email on Friday asking about the status of the replacement disc and this is the response I received the same day. I had previously provided them the requested information.

Hello

Thanks a lot for contacting us and, again, many apologies!

If you haven’t already, could you email us your full address please (Please note: Our courier cannot deliver to PO Box numbers so it would great if you could email us an alternative address).

Also, we need a contact telephone number for customs purposes please (except for deliveries in the UK).

Once you reply with these details you’ll automatically receive an acknowledgement email but there’s no need for you to respond again.

NB! If you’re waiting for, or enquiring about, your replacement blu-ray, they are in manufacture and hope to start shipping late July. This is a little later than we originally planned, and we do apologise, but we have encountered unforeseen challenges, please bear with us!

Thanks and very best wishes

On behalf of UMG Operations Support

I sent them an email on Friday asking about the status of the replacement disc and this is the response I received the same day. I had previously provided them the requested information.

Hello

Thanks a lot for contacting us and, again, many apologies!

If you haven’t already, could you email us your full address please (Please note: Our courier cannot deliver to PO Box numbers so it would great if you could email us an alternative address).

Also, we need a contact telephone number for customs purposes please (except for deliveries in the UK).

Once you reply with these details you’ll automatically receive an acknowledgement email but there’s no need for you to respond again.

NB! If you’re waiting for, or enquiring about, your replacement blu-ray, they are in manufacture and hope to start shipping late July. This is a little later than we originally planned, and we do apologise, but we have encountered unforeseen challenges, please bear with us!

Thanks and very best wishes

On behalf of UMG Operations Support
I got a similar reply and they said they were shipping this upcoming week

Multiple reports this morning on the Hoffman forum of UK folks receiving the replacement disc.

Edit: and here, I see.
I’d call that a fairly quick response to an issue. That said, they need to tighten up their product quality control! Now if I can figure out how to remedy my Thick as a Brick defective disc which is an older issue that I just became aware of per Steve Wilson’s post. Reached out to EMI in England and they responded I needed to contact the vendor of purchase. Thought that was odd!

Back