Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been watching True Blood for the last few weeks and although the plot's as daft as anything, the opening title song is an absolute killer (Bad Things by Jace Everett). In fact, I reckon the opening line is one of the best opening lines ever written as it nails the darker vibe of the show in eight words: "When you came in, the air went out"

As an aside, the overall sound design is excellent, as the ambient sounds, as well as the accompanying score, always seem to enhance what you're seeing on screen. For example, every outdoor scene comes with all the noises you'd expect to hear from nature in those parts of the woods; heck, sometimes you hear all that nature in some indoor scenes as well, like if there's a window open or whatever. In some ways, it's not surprising what with it being an HBO production and all. The action in the rear channels tends to be nature and atmospheric but sometimes you get actual action as well. Regardless, it's a hoot of a show with an excellent theme song and excellent sound design to match.

oi, 4-ear, you missed posting this. Having just finished the first four this is rather topical, and Creature has always been a favorite of mine.

Universal is expected to announced a new Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection – Volume 2 box set for release on 4K Ultra HD on 10/11, which will include four more films in the series. We don’t have official confirmation of the specific titles, but we believe them to be The Mummy (1932), Bride of Frankenstein (1935), Phantom of the Opera (1943), and Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954).

Now come on, someone drop The Crow on 4k for Halloween ...
I have THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON in a remarkable 3D 'restoration' and it's really one of the better 3D efforts to come out of Universal. But of course James Whale's brilliant BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN with Elsa Lancaster is a MUST in 4K!

91MIZuDYy3L._SL1500_.jpg

I've been watching True Blood for the last few weeks and although the plot's as daft as anything, the opening title song is an absolute killer (Bad Things by Jace Everett). In fact, I reckon the opening line is one of the best opening lines ever written as it nails the darker vibe of the show in eight words: "When you came in, the air went out"

As an aside, the overall sound design is excellent, as the ambient sounds, as well as the accompanying score, always seem to enhance what you're seeing on screen. For example, every outdoor scene comes with all the noises you'd expect to hear from nature in those parts of the woods; heck, sometimes you hear all that nature in some indoor scenes as well, like if there's a window open or whatever. In some ways, it's not surprising what with it being an HBO production and all. The action in the rear channels tends to be nature and atmospheric but sometimes you get actual action as well. Regardless, it's a hoot of a show with an excellent theme song and excellent sound design to match.

Along with SIX FEET UNDER and GAME OF THRONES, TRUE BLOOD remains one of my VERY favorite shows from the GOLDEN DAYS OF HBO.

Coming September 6th from Scream Factory, director Tobe Hooper's THE FUNHOUSE [Native UHD4K from the original camera negative/HDR10/Dolby Vision/Dolby ATMOS]

It's too bad the BD-Vs are Region B-locked. Otherwise, I'd be all over it!

If you're only interested in the 4K transfer, I have one for sale! PM me.
Not to mention some of those region B BD~Vs are in German only w/no subtitles and the title is currently out of stock!

Lynch has been hinting for years that he'd eventually release a DIRECTOR'S CUT but even the digitalbits believes it will never transpire!

Just finished binge watching all ten episodes of HULU's CASTLE ROCK, Season Two. Simply AMAZING. Lizzy Caplan plays Annie Wilkes who if you recall was the murderous psychopath in Rob Reiner's MISERY based on the Stephen King Novel ..... but think of this as a [very bloody] prequel. Caplan's performance is ASTOUNDING as is the supporting cast...most notably Tim Robbins who plays Pop, Castle Rock's resident badass entrepreneur...and the show would not be complete without the small Maine town's vaulted history dating back to the early 1600's with Satanism at its core. Presented in 4K with a very discrete DD 5.1 soundtrack and music from Springsteen, Leonard Cohen, Johnny Cash, Rufus Wainwright, Cat Power among others. No need to watch Season I [which is likewise excellent] to enjoy what I consider A+ TV at its finest.

R.e0a8a8ef72003183ab948f81e5ec10d3

21503_2_large.jpg

Last edited:
One VERY silly movie but that I LOOOVE that I would like to see the "Director's cut"...Peter O'Toole is BRILLIANT as always...
220px-High_spirits.jpg

This 4K is a baaad mutha–Shut your mouth!–But I'm talkin' 'bout . . .
1659112143241.png
SHAFT Gordon Parks

The visuals are 4Killer! I listened to the LPCM Stereo track (remastered with creative input from Isaac Hayes III). It worked best using my AVR's "Front and Rear Surround" setting. What makes this release a standout are all the special features, the absolute best of which is the inclusion of Shaft's Big Score! Highly Recommended–Can you dig it?
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Shaft-4K-Blu-ray/313442/#Reviewhttps://whysoblu.com/shaft-the-crit... was a game-changer,film fans all over again.

As a matter of fact, I’m expecting the complete series on Blu-ray to arrive tomorrow. Probably the best opening credits, period. I think it should have ended after five seasons. I hope it arrives because through Amazon it was already delayed, it’s due tomorrow, and as of now hasn’t shipped.

Back