Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
112775061_10222573255101971_7607060488742631501_n.jpg

Those Columbia 2 Eyes just sound AMAZING!

rumour has it that Keith Emerson had to RE TUNE his Moog before their set because of the humidity...tell me about it , I was BORN there!!!
BTW, lovely MINTY copy you got there , Tex! mine is a worn out cover!

No doubt. There is a pro-shot video of ELP performing in Tokyo in 1972. Unfortunately, his moog is out of tune during Tarkus. Really ruins the performance.

Maybe I am "cheating" cause right now it's not LP that is spinning (IT WAS once, a few months ago)... it's the HDs but, alas, it's a beautiful 96/24 rip that was IZO'd...incredible SONICS!!!
(love the "kinky" cover which looks modern) it decodes so well in the Foobar "upmix to 5.1" DSP that it sounds like a bona fide SQ decode but being a Decca release ("London records" in the USA) I highly doubt it was a stealth quad...although one of the last , if not the LAST classical release in SQ from Columbia was Zubin's "Rite of Spring" which is also available in Stealth Quad CD

Ny0yMTI1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Oh , man, every time I go to the Salvation Army store I come home with a BUNCH of Classical LPs which always look like they have been played once, if at all!
This time I got more than 30 LPs, which I will list somewhere else...
I am spinning a 1968 pressing of a DG Karajan pressing which looks VERY minty, it has got a lot of clicks which my IZO will zap ... I mean, I am sure it has never been played, or if it was , it was a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away...it DOES have some scrumptious sonics... those Germans, jah!!!!
OS0yODQ5LmpwZWc.jpeg

This was NOT a Salvation Army find.. I remember that back in Berklee one of my roommates got this on CD and I liked it so much that I recorded it to my HI-FI VHS tape... I'm sure it's still playable...a quite moving disc...also featuring a few dead geniuses...Mike Brecker, Hiram Bullock...they don't make these kind of records nowadays...mostly because thosse great players are DEAD!!! good thing they decided to record these gems for fun , money and eventual posterity...
Funny how good those HiFi VHS tapes sounded...used to record about 6 hours worth of CDs in there...
Don died way too young...I had always wanted to get this but seeing him on the Linda Ronstadt concert was a treat and I decided to take the plunge...
LmpwZWc.jpeg

EDIT: just wanted to say it was way better than I remembered! an AWESOME record!

Last edited:
and since I got "just a couple of" classical records to spin, I wanted to play the ONLY one with transluscent vinyl of the bunch...very minty and oh I LOOOVE that "virgin" vinyl... I had to TURN UP the volume to make sure the stylus had actually touched the record, it was THAT quiet!
It's an early DIGITAL remaster from 1986 of an early 60s recording (Beethoven 1961/Haydn 1960) but it sounds beautiful...
NzEtNjgzOC5qcGVn.jpeg

The Beethoven symphony was a "Living Stereo" release
NDItMzA2NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Keepin with "Duh Klassics" (to quote Tony Curtis), spinning one that I wonder if it's actually a "Stealth Quad" cause most of the other versions are actually QUAD and wondering if they actually BOTHERED to create a dedicated Stereo mix instead of using the SQ encoded one...
This pressing is actually quite minty except for a pronounced but barely audible warp...
Ny00NTUyLmpwZWc.jpeg

EDIT: maybe a shoutout to @steelydave or at @Mark Anderson could solve this mystery... or just by running it through some SQ decode we shall know for sure ...but then I would not know unless I have a REAL quad mix of it to compare it to....

Last edited:
and the best contradictions ever...a Classical (early) Digital recording ... on LP!!!!
I still say that by engraving those zeroes and ones into vinyl, it makes them sound sweeter but that's just me...wouldn't the engraving process add some harmonics since it's soft almost liquid like material?
OOps, there I go again...
NS0yODc0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Back