The QuadraphonicQuad Automotive & Driving Enthusiast Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoker

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
In the spirit of the beer and wine threads, I wanted to start a new thread for those of us who enjoy cars and driving.

My first word was "gah," which meant car. I was a Car & Driver and/or Road & Track subscriber before I hit double digits. Although I was later than some American teens to get my driving permit and license, I took to it early on and have been hooked ever since. I did my first track event in 2010—a Skip Barber high performance driving school at the iconic (then) Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Salinas, California in their sports cars (Lexus ISF, BMW E93 M3 DCT, Porsche 987 Boxster and 997 Carrera manuals, 2nd-gen. Lotus Elise Supercharged)—and thereafter joined Audi Club North America to continue my education and do track days in my own 2001 C5 A6 2.7T quattro 6-speed manual sedan.

8F22E2D6-0D75-483A-90E2-BCED2FE78B89.jpeg

After nine years of ownership and countless thousands of dollars spent on maintenance and upgrades, I traded the A6 for a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 6-speed manual (that's a Golf Variant for you Europeans and other non-seppos). Even stock, although it's less powerful and only marginally lighter, the Jetta is a much more engaging and fun car to drive on the track. As it sits, the only modifications it has are wheels (17"x8" ET45 Enkei TFR), tires (200TW Falken Azenis RT660 in the stock 225/45R17 size), brake pads (StopTech Sport, 309 part number prefix) and fluid (DOT4 Castrol React SRF). Compared to the Audi—which had full-on suspension (Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, Hotchkis anti-roll bars, 034Motorsport adjustable control arms and endlinks with spherical bearings), big brakes (350mm w/Brembo 6-piston calipers in front), wider tires (Falken Azenis RT615K in 235/40R18 on 18"x8" ET35 O.Z. Superturismo LM), more than 100 additional horsepower plus 30 additional foot-pounds of torque with a wider torque/power band, all-wheel drive, and just 400-or-so pounds of additional weight—it's a relative showroom example, and yet I'm matching or even beating my best A6 lap times in the VW.

4113C880-DB27-402F-A7E1-33B11E25FEA6.jpeg

I just drove Buttonwillow Raceway Park in Buttonwillow, California for the first time last month (in the "CW1" clockwise "Star Mazda" configuration) and had a blast. I was amazed how much of the track was full-throttle in fourth gear, despite the corners, which makes it unlike any other track I've driven in the Jetta (Portland International Raceway—or "PIR"—in Portland, Oregon; Pacific Raceways in Kent, Washington; Thunderhill Raceway Park 3-mile "East" course in Willows, California). It doesn't have any great changes in elevation like Thunderhill, Sonoma Raceway (in Sonoma, California), Laguna Seca, or Pacific, but does have significant undulations unlike PIR. It has a nice mix of high speed sweepers and slower, tighter, more technical corners. After two days there, I can confidently state that it's my new favorite track. Unfortunate, then, that I live over 800 miles away... 🙃

So, gearheads and drivers: what automotive experiences, musings, and news would you like to share with the QQ community?

Last edited:
what automotive experiences, musings, and news would you like to share with the QQ community?

My mobile theater was the first with with factory 5.1 surround sound and six disc DVD-A (and DTS Audio, CD) changer, tuned by Elliot Scheiner, has a 3.2L VTEC V6, six speed manual transmission and I've driven most of its 135,000 miles... quickly.

It also has a cassette player.
PXL_20210215_220751034.jpg

Nothing extremely exciting, but we got in our first 2022 Forester "Wildernesss Edition" on Wednesday. Pic is fresh off the truck....I peeled off the shipping plastic wrap but hadn't yet gassed up or run through the wash. I did get it out on the road briefly but just to fill the tank and have it detailed for delivery to the customer (it was pre-sold, as are almost every new car we get in these days). Hopefully we'll have one for the lot that I can take out for aa bit of a spin to check out, more than 1/2 mile down the block anyway.
2022-Wilderness-Forester.jpg

I have to share my Jetta story. Late 80's we had a "motor pool" at work with vans, pickups, a box truck, two Chevettes, and one Jetta. The Jetta had been used by one of the sales guys, and after that just about everyone had used it until it got down to us field service guys. When I started using it I was warned that everyone who drove it got a speeding ticket. I said no problem, not going to happen to me. Guess what. Yup. I could only conclude that Jettas are geared differently, with a very quick giddy-up. Even though I was used to driving stick, that car made me drive too fast. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
I have ridden in and driven some of the most unusual cars during my life:

- 1957 Chevrolet with the shiftless Turboglide transmission - We had that car 21 years.

- 1959 Rambler American with push button transmission and second-gear start *

- 1960 Corvair with rear engine and transmission **

- 1961 Pontiac Tempest with rear transaxle - the same transmission the Corvair had

- 1966 Chevy II - Not many of these cars were made. **

- 1976 Cutlass Supreme - modified to carry a power wheelchair.

- 1995 Ford Windstar - The unusual thing was that I bought it twice. ***

- 2002 Pontiac Bonneville - I changed transmission wiring to give it second-gear start.

* The only one I didn't drive - I was not old enough to drive when it was sold.

** Had less than 50K miles when acquired used in the 1980s.

*** Failed day after purchase - recall work never done - bought again after fix.

How did I miss this @JediJoker , yes a good thread.
I have been modding my 2021 Challenger since last September, lots of starts/stops/re-dos and money. I could write a giant page on my car life that started with a 1973 Chevy Step Side pick up to now, but not worth it at this point.
This weekend I finished my surround system after 6 months and 2 failed attempts.
I hope to be completely finished and street, track ready for fun and car show ready, by October.
I'll come back to this thread now I know about it.
This picture is Day 1, Sept 2021 in my garage. Basically looks the same but man, I have done a lot.
IMG_1388.jpg

I too have gone through my share of cars. Some fun, some just modes of transportation.
I currently have 2 sunny day only vehicles, and a daily driver. The daily driver is a 2015 KIA Sportage.

Sunny Day Vehicle #1
Purchased it new
2017 Indian Scout.

20180507_114923.jpg

Sunny Day Vehicle #2
Purchased last September
2006 Mazda MX5
No accidents
54,000 miles
Only driven May-Oct.
Never seen snow

I had no idea just how fun these vehicles are.

20210923_132033.jpg

I too have gone through my share of cars. Some fun, some just modes of transportation.
I currently have 2 sunny day only vehicles, and a daily driver. The daily driver is a 2015 KIA Sportage.

Sunny Day Vehicle #2
Purchased last September
2006 Mazda MX5
No accidents
54,000 miles
Only driven May-Oct.
Never seen snow

I had no idea just how fun these vehicles are.

View attachment 81902
It looks like a Miata. Does it have the "snickety" short throw manual gearshift the Miata had?

It looks like a Miata. Does it have the "snickety" short throw manual gearshift the Miata had?
It is an MX-5 Miata, specifically a third generation "NC"-chassis model. They're the heaviest of the bunch, with the latest fourth generation "ND" having gone on a diet, but they're still light, low-powered roadsters in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure the shift feel (if it's a manual) is at least good, if not great.

It is an MX-5 Miata, specifically a third generation "NC"-chassis model. They're the heaviest of the bunch, with the latest fourth generation "ND" having gone on a diet, but they're still light, low-powered roadsters in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure the shift feel (if it's a manual) is at least good, if not great.

It is a manual. 6speed, Limited slip diff.
It has the best shift feel of anything I've
driven. Short throw, and buttery smooth.
It's never gonna win any drag races, but it handles like a go cart.

I had a strange upbringing. Our two vehicles when I was a children were a 1980 GMC Sierra Grande 4x4 1/2 ton, shorty stepside with a 350 4 barrel and a 4 speed. Moms car was a 1975 Valiant Brougham 2 door hardtop with a 318 and believe it or don't - a 3.21 Sure Grip.... and wire wheel covers. This car would be ridiculously rare today had it survived. So, as a children, I was torn between Degenerate Motors and Mother Mopar. I went the Mopar route for a while. Kept the Valiant after mom stopped driving it. Got a '68 New Yorker 2-door hardtop for FREE from my Highschool Shop teacher. Had a '71 Dart Swinger for a number of years as well as a Turbo Lebaron coupe, and a Shelby Daytona. How I flipped to the AMC crowd was pretty strange. I wanted to restore my Swinger, but at the time (early 2000's) there wasn't a single piece of replacement sheet steel you could buy - and my poor car needed the lot: floors, quarters, wheel houses and fenders. Of course since these parts weren't Chevy parts, what was out there was 3x the cost or more of a comparable Ford or Chevy part.
So, looking at some "other" cars I happened to enjoy, I began noticing that AMC cars weren't worth shit!! Where a basket case 1970 Charger was 10 grand or more, I could get a garage-kept, low-mile, original paint AMC for like 3 grand. Little did I realize, AMC cars are like Herpes. Once you've got it, it just keeps coming back for more! For a while there, a guy would have to buy a WHOLE CAR just to get a few parts off it to fix up his "Good" car.

My Toys 016.JPG

From Left to right: 1970½ Gremlin; 1974 Hornet hatchback; 1975 Hornet X V8 hatchback; 1973 Javelin (with AMX hood, ducktail and wheels)
But here's the real funny part. I bought the Gremlin for $700, the blue Hornet for $900, the Yellow Hornet for $1500 and the Javelin for $2500.
Less than 6 grand got me FOUR very cool, very fun, VERY colorful rides. The best part was that if a junkyard had AMC's in it, they'd practically GIVE the parts away since more often than not; they'd just be crushing them. NOBODY cared about these poor cars for the longest time. Only recently have they begun building ANY kind of street cred. I was WAY ahead of the curve on this one.
I even had a SUPER rare Eagle SX/4 - you know, the little 4 wheel drive, 2 door hatchback?? Yep, I had one of them and it was the hot dog 258 engine with a 4 speed. Sadly, it came with some documentation issues and rust in the driver side floor that could easily be fixed TODAY. Long story short, I only drove it for a short while before it began giving me trouble and I wound up parting it out. Have spent the last 20 years looking for another. They make for a fabulous winter vehicle up here in the Himalayas.

Eagle_in_Garage.jpg

Most of all, I just love fixing shit. I get this endless sense of satisfaction from having an object or automobile that is older than dirt, yet still 100% functional. My Gremlin still has ignition points yet will start every time and run flawlessly. Apparently, that's mind-blowing to some people and yet I simply see a machine doing what it was designed to do. Age is irrelevant. Sort of like making an 8-track tape or player work: it's just doing what it was designed to do. My next project I would like to be either something from the 1950's or even older; like a model A or even a model T. Just so I can daily-drive that junk and blow everybody's minds.
As for competition driving; well, I'm probably the most non-competitive person out there. I just do it for fun. Have been drag racing several times with the Yellow Hornet, the Javelin and the Mustang GT. It's more about what *I* can do with my machine; competing with another human is almost pointless. I'm not the fastest and don't intend on ever being the fastest. There's always going to be someone out there with bigger stones or less brains than I.
I haven't updated my Truck/Gremlin thread in a while. The truck is practically done at this point. Has a weepy head gasket that I'm hoping to fix with just some "Head Gasket in a can" and pray that'll be the end of that. Then it'll go for tires and off to find someone who can throw some paint at it. The Gremlin will get some attention as soon as this heatwave passes. Then it's just a matter of a few small details and I hope to have it ready for the last car show of the year; the Queen City Cruise in Nelson BC in September where I will "debut" the car to the public for the first time.

So . . . . if I have this right (?) and for those who can hear it, would TSS work in your car if you'd recorded the stereo output from the SM and then streamed it to your car? Chucky, Dave?

Back