Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B
The full Neil Young Noise & Flowers 2019 concert album (teased with one track a month ago) has dropped.

Discrete-o-philes needn't bother with it, or comment.
(Only ambience in the rears, not again! 🤣)

I'm digging the energy and the set list.
A balance of rockers and ballads from across the years with a few "deep tracks."

The knock on sound quality is "too much reverb."
To that I suggest a mild intoxicant and turning the volume up a bit. :smokin

Shocking news from the other forum: the streaming version is the only Atmos mix available!!

Reportedly, the blu ray video directed by Daryl Hannah (in the deluxe box or sold separately exclusively on Neil's site) only has a 2.0 mix. o_O

Bizarre but true..

I'm currently listening to this release via my Samsung S7 tablet....in Dolby Atmos!! OR so it says....:unsure:

Enjoying the performance.

But guessed the mix would be lost in this year's Harvest :D

Last edited:
I don't think it is shocking, it is the new normal. Same can be said for McCartney I, II, III.
Point taken on exclusive Atmos streaming mixes that will never get physical release.
The shocking part was in the next sentence of my post.

Hopefully an artist of Young's stature filming a recent concert in hi-res video with only stereo audio, to sell on a blu ray in a deluxe box, is not the new normal.

Can only speculate why it was done that way. :unsure:

Apologies if any of these have already been posted.

Triggering for me (it was constantly playing on the PA system at the municipal pool during a traumatic course of swimming lessons...):

Was this one previously a Tidal-only track?

Some classic Trane:

One preview track so far:

Some classic Trane:

The depth of the Coltrane catalog now available to stream in stereo is staggering.

Kudos to Apple for a smattering of full-album Atmos versions from ballads to A Love Supreme.
The smooth vocal album with Johnny Hartman is classic.

And there's that little session he tossed off with Miles & Bill Evans:

Kind of Blue by Miles Davis

Last edited:
Signed up for a free apple music trial, but I can't get it to stream in multichannel on my ps5, phone/chromecast, or laptop 😡
Sorry.
Guess you missed the fine print on Apple spatial playback.
Most folks use a 4K Apple TV (available used) to connect to a receiver via HDMI.

Meanwhile, enjoy the stereo and browsing the catalog.

You can also hear Dolby Atmos music using the built‑in speakers on a compatible iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or iMac, or by connecting your Apple TV 4K to one of the following: HomePod speakers set up as the default speakers, a Dolby Atmos-compatible sound bar, a Dolby Atmos-enabled AV receiver, or a television that supports Dolby Atmos audio.

For the full list of compatible devices, please see About Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music.

Sorry.
Most folks use a 4K Apple TV (available used) to connect to a receiver via HDMI.

You can also hear Dolby Atmos music using the built‑in speakers on a compatible iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or iMac, or by connecting your Apple TV 4K to one of the following: HomePod speakers set up as the default speakers, a Dolby Atmos-compatible sound bar, a Dolby Atmos-enabled AV receiver, or a television that supports Dolby Atmos audio.

For the full list of compatible devices, please see About Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music.
Thanks for letting me know. Anyone know if Tidal have similar restrictions?

McCartney II and III are well done. McCartney just because of the nature of the original recording has little to nothing going on in the surrounds on most tracks, but it does bring some stuff further out into the room. Maybe I’m Amazed sounds a little more discrete than the rest of the album, which I think is one of the only songs that was recorded at Abbey Road.
I agree. Listened to all 3 last night.

shame its also back to front! 🧐🤣
they did that as payback for makin’ ‘em drive on the wrong side of the road o_O
Sorry.

there for awhile, before I studied up this Apple stuff, I thought it was an actual 📺 :LOL:

Al Stewart - Time Passages (only this one track!)
Time_passages.jpg

https://tidal.com/browse/album/241528373
Is this the same as the DVD mix?

Back