Billy Joel Live at Yankee Stadium 1990 Blu-ray (4K remaster w/ Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Billy Joel's 1990 live concert film that was shot at Yankee Stadium will be screened in theaters on October 5th and October 9th. It has been upgraded to 4K and remixed in Dolby Atmos. CD/LP/Blu-ray release to follow on November 4th.

billy-joel-live-at-yankee-stadium-1990-billboard-1240.jpg

https://www.billboard.com/music/pop...ankee-stadium-movie-theaters-fall-1235121738/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I actually worked on the Atmos mix for this, I think it turned out great and I hope you all enjoy it. Happy to answer any questions that I can

Hi @J_davis -

Thanks for stopping by! Really looking forward to this upcoming release. Can you tell us a little bit about the approach to the Atmos mix? In a lot of concert recordings, the surround speakers are mostly used for crowd noise and some of the ambience of the venue. Some other concert mixes (like the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac & Roy Orbison concert films mixed by Elliot Scheiner) are a bit more aggressive when it comes to placing instruments in the surround field. Can you tell us what sort of approach was taken with this concert? Thanks!

Hi @J_davis -

Thanks for stopping by! Really looking forward to this upcoming release. Can you tell us a little bit about the approach to the Atmos mix? In a lot of concert recordings, the surround speakers are mostly used for crowd noise and some of the ambience of the venue. Some other concert mixes (like the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac & Roy Orbison concert films mixed by Elliot Scheiner) are a bit more aggressive when it comes to placing instruments in the surround field. Can you tell us what sort of approach was taken with this concert? Thanks!
Our approach with the mix was to make it feel like you're in the 10th row and the PA is the best its ever sounded. We went with the more realistic approach like what you first described with the rear speakers primarily used for ambience and crowd noise and the fronts being mixed wide and high to make it seem like the sound is coming out of the screen and larger than life.
The audio was recorded on 24 track and luckily there were several great sounding area mics for us to utilize. There are a few fun things we did with organs and synths that have more dramatic spatial effects but we were careful not to do anything too gimmicky or extreme that might take you out of the concert experience.

How does the sound quality compare to the original mix? I have this one on DVD and have listened to the audio extensively. Was there an opportunity to greatly improve the sound?

Atmos on blu is lossless, of course, vs lossy DTS on DVD. Some DTS on DVD is only 768kbps, most are double that. Atmos is usually around 4000kbps and higher. This should sound great!

Is this the concert that Billy starts dripping in sweat during the performance? Obviously a very hot night. Or am I thinking of another BJ concert?

I'm really not a Billy Joel fan much...Nylon Curtain is the only album in my collection, but this set has a very good setlist and the teaser track sounds pretty good. For what it seems to be going for it's one I'll pick up with one of those Discount coupons sometime.

I look forward to this for the audio...but is the entire concert film like that awful clip of Fire? Lots of blurry crowd shots, irregular motion, quick cuts, etc?
Man I really HATE how so many supposedly "reputable" concert film directors like Dick Carruthers just seem to be trying to make the next Bourne movie. I'd like to sic Susan Powter on all of them.

Actually I just realized 10 of the tracks are streaming in Atmos on Apple Music.

Sound quality is pretty good. Atmos mix is your typical front heavy live mix with crowd noise and some reverb mixed into the surrounds and heights.

As for the blu ray, it looks like only about half the concert is included with the video, but also looks like Apple will have the entire track list streaming in Atmos.

Back