Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christopher Cross!! Yes!!

I had asked him a few years ago if that first album would ever be mixed in 5.1 and he said DTS had approached him about it but couldn’t find the multis. I’ll see him next week, I’ll have to ask him the story about this mix.
I suspect they never found them - on my system, the Atmos mix sounds like the original stereo duplicated in the fronts and heights with some reverb in the rears.

I don't think it's obvious. There are many 360RA titles that are just the old quad mixes. So, not obvious at all.
I think it would be marked as "Dolby Audio" if they were reusing an older 5.1 or quad mix. In any case, the Atmos mix of "Time Passages" is definitely not the same as either 5.1 mix (the leaked DTS version from years ago or the DVD in the Esoteric/Cherry Red reissue). There's nowhere near as much channel seperation and a lot more tape hiss.

I think it would be marked as "Dolby Audio" if they were reusing an older 5.1 or quad mix. In any case, the Atmos mix of "Time Passages" is definitely not the same as either 5.1 mix (the leaked DTS version from years ago or the DVD in the Esoteric/Cherry Red reissue). There's nowhere near as much channel seperation and a lot more tape hiss.
There is no Dolby Audio tag on Tidal.

So many interesting tracks in Atmos from this Warner blitz. A couple of good tunes seem to have weird crackle in them? Judy Collins - Both Sides Now (towards the end) and Bon Jovi - It's My Life (less so, but comes in around a minute in). I'm not going to post links because they don't sound right to me. At first I thought it might be my system but I don't think it is. Hope not! Shame as the actual mixes are quite good... Edit well mainly the Bon Jovi but I think that might be from UMG.

There's also a few interesting ones on Tidal that I can't find on Apple, like Seals & Crofts - Summer Breeze, Percy Sledge - When A Man Loves A Woman, The Meters - Cissy Strut, Blues Image - Ride Captain Ride, Robin S - Show Me Love, Spacehog - In The Meantime. Apple Music and their stupid Atmos/stereo amalgamation makes it sometimes impossible to know...

Anyhow, here's a couple more... :)

Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/track/241649217

George McCrae - Rock Your Baby
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/track/241649167

Last edited:
Back