MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

Animals arrived Friday. One spin and I like mix. Early sweetest day gift.

Get Back 3 BD showed up 4 days after street date. Preordered from Target. They expected it was being delivered on release date by USPS. 4th shipment USPS has lost or delivered months late. Been too busy to open it. Soon, very soon...

On the way: bundle blu ray Big Big Train and first and last solo cd David Longdon en SDE #5 ENO

Attachments

• david-longdon_big-big-train_door-one_summer-shall-not-fade_bundle.jpg
    david-longdon_big-big-train_door-one_summer-shall-not-fade_bundle.jpg
    952 KB · Views: 0
  • eno_whitebg_shadow466_1024x1024.jpg copy.jpg
    eno_whitebg_shadow466_1024x1024.jpg copy.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
I ordered the two KISS box sets and the most recent SDE from the Band. Not a big fan so I can't recall the titles atm. Also preordered the Zappa box set coming out next month. Good times for surround even as it seems like streaming is going to kill physical surround media.

The Hip .jpg

I dug the streaming Atmos enough to pick this up when Amazon had it for ~$85 earlier this week. The box set is pretty unimpressive - they could easily have fit all of this (sans maybe the poster) into a Jethro Tull/Marillion-style book or maybe even one of those three-panel digipaks the ELP reissues used - but I'm pleasantly surprised by the dedicated 5.1 mix. It fills the room nicely with the lead vocal upfront, guitars in the phantom sides (it's interesting to watch this on my SH-3433 scope, sometimes the guitar on the left is slightly biased to the front and the other towards the rear), drums seemingly everywhere, and some rather effective room ambience plus the odd isolated element filling out most of the back soundstage. I would definitely reject the notion that the 5.1 mix isn't 'discrete' though, the backing vocals in "Long Time Running" and "Three Pistols" completely vanish if you mute the rear channels. The Atmos mix actually seems more front-centric to me!

Back