The QQ pet & critters thread...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We see a lot of mallard moms with chicks grazing in our yard. The flow in the canal is pretty fast, and occasionally the count drops a by one or two. Being a baby in the wild can be tough. 😢
A friend found these two baby Cooper's Hawks in her backyard a couple of days ago. Fell out of their nest during some high winds. There were three but one didn't survive the fall. One of the survivors had a head injury that needed veternarian care. Third pic is of the two survivors at the Rogers Wildlife Rehab Center where they ended up.

falconmichyd.jpg

falconmichl1.jpg

falconmichpr.jpg

Cooper’s hawks may well be the reason some of those ducklings don’t make it back to our yard. Raptors are a big part of the wildlife around Boise (there is a raptor center where my wife volunteers). They mostly feed on rodents, but Cooper’s hawks are infamous for feeding on smaller birds. Ahh, the law of the wild.

Cooper’s hawks may well be the reason some of those ducklings don’t make it back to our yard. Raptors are a big part of the wildlife around Boise (there is a raptor center where my wife volunteers). They mostly feed on rodents, but Cooper’s hawks are infamous for feeding on smaller birds. Ahh, the law of the wild.
I worked in a Semi-conductor start-up in the centre of Bath, the office looked down onto the river which we were right next to. We would watch the mother ducks swim down with their row of ducklings behind, then the seagulls swoop down and pick them off one-by-one :( We did also once see an otter, oh and a dead cow!

Yep it's a bird eat bird world out there! I've seen the remnants of their hunting and feeding out in my yard. A pile of feathers.

In the many, many years I've lived around Armidale, I've never seen any Rainbow Lorikeets here (they're very common on the coast, but I'm 1000m up on a mountain range and nearly 200km from the ocean). This pair didn't fly away as other species do when they spot me, perhaps they escaped from an aviary. Maybe jailbirds?

Attachments

• Rainbow Lorikeets.JPG
    Rainbow Lorikeets.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
In the many, many years I've lived around Armidale, I've never seen any Rainbow Lorikeets here (they're very common on the coast, but I'm 1000m up on a mountain range and nearly 200km from the ocean). This pair didn't fly away as other species do when they spot me, perhaps they escaped from an aviary. Maybe jailbirds?
Gorgeous birds! Yes likely used to humans if they didn't immediately fly away.

Ever see any Gouldian finches there? Or any Eclectus parrots?

Looks like the hummingbirds are making their southbound migration. First one I've seen this season, right on time. Usually around 1st or 2nd week of August the females start showing up. Then the males follow.

A few pics of a female ruby at one of my feeders...

hummer-aug22-1.jpg

hummer-aug22-2.jpg

hummer-aug22-3.jpg

Looks like the hummingbirds are making their southbound migration. First one I've seen this season, right on time. Usually around 1st or 2nd week of August the females start showing up. Then the males follow.

View attachment 82326

View attachment 82324

View attachment 82325
Great photos…but that means they will be leaving New Jersey soon…one of my favorite things about Summer 😢

View attachment 82326

View attachment 82324

View attachment 82325

I do NOT care for birds at all. Rats with wings, I always say. But, this does not apply to hummingbirds. They are fascinating creatures.

Back