RIP Olivia Newton-John

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Olivia was also responsible for a 189 million dollar cancer and wellness clinic being built at the Austin Hospital in Melbourne Australia its a huge hospital
https://www.onjcancercentre.org/
Tonight 15 of Melbourne’s biggest landmarks are lit up in pink in her honour

Last edited:
5ED60590-30BE-4773-9DBE-E0876E03AEC4.png

Just an awful week for us Australians with the passing of Olivia and Judith Durham. Olivia appears on the "This is your life" tribute to Judith at 18.34.

They died within 2 days of each other. So sad. In my opinion Judith had the best voice of the 60's and Olivia in the 70's, both very nice people.

she mentioned she was ready for the trip beyond... I guess she was feeling tired after getting C not once nor twice..THREE TIMES!!!
She had a lot to be thankful for and even though she was "only" 73 I am sure she lived what we call several lifetimes in her time in this multiverse...

Thank you for the GREAT music Livvie!!! May you rest in PEACE!!!!

Many years ago Ty/Disclord gave me a copy of Olivia Newton-John's Physical music video compilation. I've watched it again a couple of times since her passing. I think Ty made it from Laserdisc & probably MPEG1 since it's on CD. Just a day or so ago I see it has a proper DVD release and also a bonus live concert is included:

https://www.amazon.com/Physical-Deluxe-2-CD-DVD/dp/B09DGJQRBT
The quality seems debatable and the cost has tripled in the last few days. Polk around if your interested as I've seen it somewhere for about $30. I'll be looking today.

Many years ago Ty/Disclord gave me a copy of Olivia Newton-John's Physical music video compilation. I've watched it again a couple of times since her passing. I think Ty made it from Laserdisc & probably MPEG1 since it's on CD. Just a day or so ago I see it has a proper DVD release and also a bonus live concert is included:

https://www.amazon.com/Physical-Deluxe-2-CD-DVD/dp/B09DGJQRBT
The quality seems debatable and the cost has tripled in the last few days. Polk around if your interested as I've seen it somewhere for about $30. I'll be looking today.
That recent release is really worth it. I lucked out about five months ago and got it as an Amazon Warehouse deal for $20. The 2 CDs are excellent and though it's interesting to see the music videos contained on the DVD, the real value item here is the concert shot on video from her Physical Tour. Excellent performances with great arrangements and a solid band. That's one I'll be enjoying often. Infinitely superior performances than the ones from the DVD-A recorded almost 20 years later.

Far to many RIP threads lately, just last week I was listening to her debut album, I always loved her first hit "If Not For You". The perfect blend of country and pop/rock!

Somewhere I have the "Physical" video on Beta HiFi. I might have to pull it out!
I don't mean to have a cavalier attitude about this, but it has occurred to me that QQ should have its own Obit topic. Well, a lot of us here on board are getting up in years, and that means our teen age musical heroes are even more so chronologically blessed. It's just gonna keep on coming.

Watched Xanadu last night! I've seen it a couple of time before but not for years. I like the actual movie part better than most seem to. And the music has it's own life & is still wonderful after all these years. Besides Olivia there's wonderful tunes by ELO and don't forget The Tubes! I think casting Gene Kelly for acting & singing on the soundtrack was just an excellent choice.

...I always loved her first hit "If Not For You". The perfect blend of country and pop/rock!
I remember as a high school senior getting a chuckle from my secret knowledge that this tune I heard every afternoon at work on the local 500 watt AM Country / MOR radio station was written by Bob Dylan. :smokin
(And the arrangement stolen from George Harrison)

An appreciation from The New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/postscript/olivia-newton-johns-tale-of-two-sandys

Far to many RIP threads lately, just last week I was listening to her debut album, I always loved her first hit "If Not For You". The perfect blend of country and pop/rock!

The first time I heard ONJ was during a car (actually a van) trip from the Bay Area to Lake Tahoe in the late 70s. I think before the release of "Grease". A family friend agreed to drive the round trip in his big Dodge van but the only cassette (8 track?) he had was ONJ's early hits. And that's when I was indoctrinated...."If Not For You", "Have You Ever Been Mellow", etc. However, it was her cover of Dolly Parton's "Jolene" that caught my ears. Have been a big fan ever since.

RIP Olivia

The first time I heard ONJ was during a car (actually a van) trip from the Bay Area to Lake Tahoe in the late 70s. I think before the release of "Grease". A family friend agreed to drive the round trip in his big Dodge van but the only cassette (8 track?) he had was ONJ's early hits. And that's when I was indoctrinated...."If Not For You", "Have You Ever Been Mellow", etc. However, it was her cover of Dolly Parton's "Jolene" that caught my ears. Have been a big fan ever since.

RIP Olivia
Hey there Soundboy
I don't know if you remember but about 2 years ago you made a post about Xanadu being filmed from Fee Waybill's point of view:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...waybill-cool-to-have-been-a-part-of-it.28817/
It's rather short but interesting read about the making of. Thanks!

Back