Joni Mitchell?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe just projecting wishful thinking, but something caught my eye going back through the jlf posts in the SHF. The wording in the last paragraph about the new box set-

‘Mitchell continues to be intimately involved in producing these collections, lending her vision and personal touch to every element of the projects. Future releases in the archive series will arrive in a similar manner, with a boxed set focused on studio albums from a specific era, followed by an official “Archives” release looking at unreleased audio from the same period.’

It could have said unreleased music or songs, but it says “audio” :unsure:
In the first two sets, that "unreleased audio" consisted of home and live recordings, radio broadcasts, and a handful of demos and unreleased takes. But I agree: given some of the other hints we've heard, it's not unreasonable to expect that the next batch of "audio" will include previously unreleased mixes.

In the first two sets, that "unreleased audio" consisted of home and live recordings, radio broadcasts, and a handful of demos and unreleased takes. But I agree: given some of the other hints we've heard, it's not unreasonable to expect that the next batch of "audio" will include previously unreleased mixes.
also “major projecting ahead”…

Take a look at how the artwork morphs in that Help Me vid above, does that remind you of anything :)
no not the partial phallic hill!

Looks like Ken Caillat (best known for the Fleetwood Mac 5.1's) is doing the Atmos mixes:
It is June 2022, and Joni Mitchell is in a playback studio in Los Angeles, listening to her most successful album, Court And Spark, being radically reborn. “I love the sound of my voice,” she tells Ken Caillat, the engineer overseeing new Dolby Atmos mixes of four albums Mitchell released between 1972 and 1976, rendering them as an immersive sound experience. “I can’t believe how good my voice sounds!” Aged 78, and still recovering from the effects of the aneurysm she suffered in 2015, she is sufficiently moved to start dancing. “She was thrilled,” Caillat tells Uncut. “And we were thrilled that she was thrilled.”

Okay: so we have his Fleetwood Mac 5.1s; do we know what else he's mixed in Atmos so far? In any case: this confirmation is very exciting!
Just giving myself a little Google crash course. The historical connection with Joni, of course, is that Caillat assisted Henry Lewy on Miles of Aisles.

Caillat spoke about Atmos at NAMM this June, although I can't find it on YouTube (even though there are lots of other videos from NAMM featuring Atmos mixers). Here is his Atmos mixing room, though:
https://www.revolverrecordings.com/studios/dolby-atmos-room
One can only hope that the Atmos mixes will drop on the streaming services when the "albums" box is released next month--and that they will eventually show up on disc!

Just giving myself a little Google crash course. The historical connection with Joni, of course, is that Caillat assisted Henry Lewy on Miles of Aisles.

Caillat spoke about Atmos at NAMM this June, although I can't find it on YouTube (even though there are lots of other videos from NAMM featuring Atmos mixers). Here is his Atmos mixing room, though:
https://www.revolverrecordings.com/studios/dolby-atmos-room
One can only hope that the Atmos mixes will drop on the streaming services when the "albums" box is released next month--and that they will eventually show up on disc!
Yes on Atmos discs. I’m not a hardliner on physical media. But knowing the Atmos is coming, why would I order the regular CD set? Someone should tell them about the Osborne effect.

Yes on Atmos discs. I’m not a hardliner on physical media. But knowing the Atmos is coming, why would I order the regular CD set? Someone should tell them about the Osborne effect.
Fingers crossed for a Blu-Ray included with next year's Archives Vol. 3 box, containing any and all completed 4.0 and 5.1 mixes of albums from that period along with the new Atmos mixes. (Although the latter technically wouldn't be "archival," I guess.)

Last edited:
I did a bit of digging in my records from 2003 today , and......

Not that it matters much anymore ,but the only Joni Mitchell album that was mentioned as pending a 5.1 release , back in 2003...was "Blue".

This according to the listing provided on line by Digital Audio Guide ..who were fairly accurate with their release information. (Some great releases missed , like CSN , and Neil Young -After The Gold Rush, and the aforementioned..Joni Mitchell- Blue ) Oh Well.
16611172864365186642065727168805.jpg

Since Joni was so excited at hearing her [incredible] vocals on Court and Spark brought to new life in Dolby ATMOS...it does seem credible that BLUE would be astonishing in ATMOS and perhaps that is why Warner has not released a proper Joni Mitchell QUADIO BD~A boxset ..... awaiting those new, improved ATMOS remixes.

One could only [pardon the expression] drool at the prospect!

Last edited:
Since Joni was so excited at hearing her [incredible] vocals on Court and Spark brought to new life in Dolby ATMOS...it does seem credible that BLUE would be astonishing in ATMOS and perhaps that is why Warner has not released a proper Joni Mitchell QUADIO BD~A boxset ..... awaiting those new, improved ATMOS remixes.

One could only [pardon the expression] drool at the prospect!
Many of the arrangements on Blue are fairly sparse in nature, Joni with just a guitar or piano, so even if it does have a Quad/Atmos mix, not sure how effective it would be. They could certainly expand the overall room ambience with it I suppose :unsure:

Fingers crossed for a Blu-Ray included with next year's Archives Vol. 3 box, containing any and all completed 4.0 and 5.1 mixes of albums from that period along with the new Atmos mixes. (Although the latter technically wouldn't be "archival," I guess.)
Yes, and I would think that this might be our one and only chance at seeing a formal digital release of Court And Spark in Quad. 🤞

On a Related Note, here's some good news about Joni from RollingStone.com-

Joni Mitchell Got an Honorary Doctorate From Berklee College of Music — and a Matching ‘Dr. Joni’ Beret​

JONI MITCHELL WAS awarded an honorary doctorate from the Berklee College of Music at a small ceremony Tuesday night, Aug. 23.

Berklee shared a handful of photos from the event on Instagram, including a great shot of Mitchell alongside her friends and occasional collaborators, Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter. Mitchell also shared a photo of herself holding her honorary doctorate while also sporting a custom beret emblazoned with “Dr. Joni Mitchell” to mark the occasion.

“Well, luckily I’m too old to get a swelled head,” Mitchell said during the ceremony. “It’s a beautiful event. Words can’t describe it. I’ve got my good friends here with me… I wish my parents were alive. My mother in particular would be really proud of this because she wanted me to go to college. I went to art school and I quit after a year. She thinks of me as a quitter. So to see this achievement would be really impressive to her. I wish I could share it with her.”

Terri Lynne Carrington, founder and artistic director of Berklee’s Institute of Jazz and Gender Justice, said, “I am thrilled that we are finally able to honor Joni Mitchell. Her career and social principles stand for the values our institute pursues—imagination, freedom, equity, and identity. I can think of no one more deserving.”

Mitchell’s honorary doctorate marks yet another high point for the singer-songwriter, who’s enjoying a year packed with well-earned praise. Back in April, the Recording Academy’s charitable wing, MusiCares, feted her as its Person of the Year, while in July, she took the stage at the Newport Folk Festival for her first full set-length concert appearance in two decades. (She’s also a confirmed millennial and Get Z hero now.)

Back