Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, just joined today - after maybe a year or so of lurking!

My name is Mike and I'm a musician, producer and Lecturer in Music Technology. Over the past few years I've been working more and more with ambisonics and my adventures into multichannel mixing and production has lead me here!

The research I'm doing at the moment is into the 'other' quad format Ambisonic UHJ - so would be really keen to chat with anyone who listens to has any thoughts and/or experiences to share about the format. I am also a bit of a vinyl junkie, bass player and general lover of the alternative side of the 80s - so any listening recommendations for new wave stuff in surround would be most welcome!

Looking forward to chatting more and contributing to the forums!

So, Apple Spatial audio is compatible with Dolby Pro Logic, you can use it outside of the Apple system? Does it sound the same, or the effect is reduced?
No more questions, I promise.
Not sure about that one. One thing you could try is stop by an Apple store and test out their super high end headphones that they have (like $500-700) and demo them with some spatial audio they have. It’s pretty impressive for a set of headphones and you’ll be able to experience what Atmos mix can do.

So, Apple Spatial audio is compatible with Dolby Pro Logic, you can use it outside of the Apple system? Does it sound the same, or the effect is reduced?
No more questions, I promise.
I don't think DPLII is compatible with spatial, but there is a newer Dolby upmixer that includes the height speakers in the algorithm that will upmix stereo or 5.1 to faux Atmos.

Aside from Atmos, there is a wealth of digital 5.1 available in the marketplace. Check the polls section for what might interest you. If you have a spare set of analog inputs on your rig, all you need is an older Oppo universal player to play them in 4.0 or 4.1

I don't think DPLII is compatible with spatial, but there is a newer Dolby upmixer that includes the height speakers in the algorithm that will upmix stereo or 5.1 to faux Atmos.

Aside from Atmos, there is a wealth of digital 5.1 available in the marketplace. Check the polls section for what might interest you. If you have a spare set of analog inputs on your rig, all you need is an older Oppo universal player to play them in 4.0 or 4.1
Thanks! I have an Oppo BDP-103 sitting around, I can use it to connect to 4 Ch tape or Aux input.

My name is Mike and I'm a musician, producer and Lecturer in Music Technology. Over the past few years I've been working more and more with ambisonics and my adventures into multichannel mixing and production has lead me here!

The research I'm doing at the moment is into the 'other' quad format Ambisonic UHJ - so would be really keen to chat with anyone who listens to has any thoughts and/or experiences to share about the format. I am also a bit of a vinyl junkie, bass player and general lover of the alternative side of the 80s - so any listening recommendations for new wave stuff in surround would be most welcome!

There is not much surround stuff on the 80's vinyl (there is some, like Vangelis), your best bet would be to get an old quad receiver with good quad synthesizer function (like Sansui Vario-Matrix encoder). I use that for New wave and other 80's music (like Yello) and it is surprisingly effective and pretty close to the real Quad sometimes. Some recaivers (like QRX-5001) output processed signals through 4 ch. tape outputs, so the resulting synthesized quad can be recorded in 4 channels if you wish.

yeah, I also don't personally like DPLII for basic surround, at least from what I've heard thru my Marantz AVR. It puts too much into the Center. But really good for TV dialog IMO.
And especially with all the much better alternatives we have like a Surround Master etc.

Joined a while ago, but never said hello. Hello!

I've been collecting records for years, and have several SQ and a few QS records (and a few quadraphonic 8-tracks). Still working on setting things up to play them all properly!
Welcome aboard Axonite! What equipment do you have for playing your LPs and tapes? My system is 100% digital based but there a number of forum members who are well seasoned in the art of getting legacy analog sound systems up and running.

Welcome aboard Axonite! What equipment do you have for playing your LPs and tapes? My system is 100% digital based but there a number of forum members who are well seasoned in the art of getting legacy analog sound systems up and running.
Marantz 2015 receiver, Pioneer PL-518 turntable, Soundesign TX 491 8-track player, and Technics M205 tape deck. (And a Panasonic SL-PD346 CD player.) All working fine for stereo, I just need to track down some working quad equipment! I do have a Sanyo DXL 5485 quad receiver, but the left side is completely out (both front and back), and the 8-track player's belt is broken.

Joined a while ago, but never said hello. Hello!

I've been collecting records for years, and have several SQ and a few QS records (and a few quadraphonic 8-tracks). Still working on setting things up to play them all properly!
Welcome aboard now fellow QQers - Bunch of koo peeps here to glean info from and they pretty much always friendly doing so. Analogue koo on mixing and production Awwwwwwwwesome - as for Ambiosonic UHJ - post that question in the proper section toooo to get some replies and chats on that one item.

Axonite - If ya need any help or questions on getting that equipment set up - do ask in the legacy equipment section - some hard core quaddies there for suuuuuuure

Glad to have ya both here and hope to see you both posting and asking questions :love: :SB :love:

Welcome aboard now fellow QQers - Bunch of koo peeps here to glean info from and they pretty much always friendly doing so. Analogue koo on mixing and production Awwwwwwwwesome - as for Ambiosonic UHJ - post that question in the proper section toooo to get some replies and chats on that one item.

Axonite - If ya need any help or questions on getting that equipment set up - do ask in the legacy equipment section - some hard core quaddies there for suuuuuuure

Glad to have ya both here and hope to see you both posting and asking questions :love: :SB :love:
Thanks, I will! I also just found what appears to be a DynaQuad adapter, which is what inspired me to finally post. :)

Hello from Canada!
Just joined yesterday.
I have been a multi-channel enthusiast for a while, and finally had the time to properly set everything up at the beginning of the pandemic.
My favourite part of listening to an album in quad or 5.1 is how it feels like you're listening to the album for the first time.
When it's done well, it really is a new and transformative experience.
Looking forward to learning from everyone here.

Hello from Canada!
Just joined yesterday.
I have been a multi-channel enthusiast for a while, and finally had the time to properly set everything up at the beginning of the pandemic.
My favourite part of listening to an album in quad or 5.1 is how it feels like you're listening to the album for the first time.
When it's done well, it really is a new and transformative experience.
Looking forward to learning from everyone here.
Welcome and I love your forum name! Great intro & I think you will be in good company. Looking forward to future posts!

I'm new to membership have been none member Lurker for some time I'm not sure how to post to a specific topic like new member tread?which I would like to do,Do I just hit reply say like I did asking you? Or do I need to go to top of topic and find? I think I can figure out how to reply to another person's post. But that would be different of course. My name is Lowell 65 in Salt Lake. might get the hang of it shortly I just saw that I can write in box just below this one! lol thanks, and I probably won't post much but it will be respectful and pertinent to subject! Lowell

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to membership have been none member Lurker for some time I'm not sure how to post to a specific topic like new member tread?which I would like to do,Do I just hit reply say like I did asking you? Or do I need to go to top of topic and find? I think I can figure out how to reply to another person's post. But that would be different of course. My name is Lowell 65 in Salt Lake. might get the hang of it shortly I just saw that I can write in box just below this one! lol thanks, and I probably won't post much but it will be respectful and pertinent to subject! Lowell
Hiya Lowell - I fixed up your post a lil - Welcome aboard and don't worry you will get the hang of it so keep on posting or ask any questions you may have. We are always here to help out with any and all questions you may have.

To make a new post to a thread just go to the bottom of the page and fill in the box and post.

To reply to a post just go to the post and hit reply bottom right of the message then fill out the empty box and hit Post reply.

No worries, you will get it - can be a lil confusing at first.

Welcome aboard again - glad you found us :SB :LB :SB

Last edited:
Back