Q8 deck to complete my setup?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would if you plan to play the tape on a different machine. For example, if you record tracks on a tape to play on another 8-track, they won't line up.

They will line up of you record it to put in an 8-track cartridge. The 8-track and the Q8 both play all odd tracks or all even tracks at once. If the head gaps are staggered, all of the even tracks line up and all of the odd gaps line up.

Note that changing the speed also changes the equalization. The reproduction curve on the machine won't match the record and repro curves for the tape. The turnover points in the curves will be an octave off.
I realize I was not clear in what I was going to do. I wanted access to a 388 to digitize my Q8s using Pro Tools, Auria and my iPad Pro. You are absolutely correct if I was planning to use the 388 to just playback the Q8 for 'my listening pleasure'. Thanks for your response!

Well, wish me luck, I just worked out a deal to purchase an Akai CR-80SS. If it needs tweaking I do have a good tape guy semi local. I know it's more decorative than anything but it's going to be so cool with my vintage quad bedroom system.

Well, wish me luck, I just worked out a deal to purchase an Akai CR-80SS. If it needs tweaking I do have a good tape guy semi local. I know it's more decorative than anything but it's going to be so cool with my vintage quad bedroom system.
It's a great deck if it working, some have issue with slow speed and static. I bought an untested D-SS not too long ago and now I'm approaching 70 home recorded Q8s. It has static every once in a while but no speed issue. Best of luck!

Back