Dutton Vocalion September 2022 Surround Sound SACDs (3)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Humprof (and maybe others) has already mentioned it in his detailed comments, but I think it's worth emphasising that the Azteca disc only has one album in quad, the other is stereo-only. I only just realised this as I added it to my basket. That was a deal-breaker for me, so might be for others.

Humprof (and maybe others) has already mentioned it in his detailed comments, but I think it's worth emphasising that the Azteca disc only has one album in quad, the other is stereo-only. I only just realised this as I added it to my basket. That was a deal-breaker for me, so might be for others.
At least that second disc is high-resolution DSD stereo. Again, high-resolution...and mastered by Michael Dutton with TLC. If one likes the music, then it is still a really good deal compared to what Acoustic Sounds gets for a single SACD title.

that one Azteca Quad is, to me, worth an entire Super Deluxe box set's sticker price.

it is one of the all-time Classic Showcase Surround Spectaculars and has never sounded as good as it does now on Dutton's superbly Remastered SACD 👍

At least that second disc is high-resolution DSD stereo. Again, high-resolution...and mastered by Michael Dutton with TLC. If one likes the music, then it is still a really good deal compared to what Acoustic Sounds gets for a single SACD title.
true and if you're only gonna get one Quad in a 2-fer it might as well be one of the best Sony/CBS Quads ever! 😋

So, I wasn't going to purchase anything right now, but after learning of the forthcoming SACD price increases, I decided to place an order for several titles I wanted in the past, such as the Bernstein Planets--which I'd been wanting since it came out in February but couldn't find a shipping-mate for--and multiple two-disc sets, like the Shostakovich 5 and 15 and La Boheme. I also added the Friends of Distinction 4 for 2 set, since it looks like that release offers the most music of the three new releases. I didn't realize I knew some of the songs from the Friends of Distinction as well, like "Grazing in the Grass", so those will be fun to hear in high resolution and quadraphonic sound.

Huge thanks to Dutton Vocalion for persevering--I admit that I thought the end was nigh, but I'm very glad I was very wrong--and for giving us all a generous heads up about the price increases.

I would like to place an order soon. Looking through the list, and judging by my past experience with one-and-done listens on a lot of stuff, I'm thinking of the following:

- Azteca
- Bernstein, Holtz The Planets
- Chet Atkins, Superpickers and Picks The Best
- James Galway, Showpieces and Magic Flute

Anyone have comments on these? @J. PUPSTER @4-earredwonder ....I think that one of you liked the James Galway set and The Planets.

(N.B. Order must be for even number of items so as to not violate GOS's Law)

I would like to place an order soon. Looking through the list, and judging by my past experience with one-and-done listens on a lot of stuff, I'm thinking of the following:

- Azteca
- Bernstein, Holtz The Planets
- Chet Atkins, Superpickers and Picks The Best
- James Galway, Showpieces and Magic Flute

Anyone have comments on these? @J. PUPSTER @4-earredwonder ....I think that one of you liked the James Galway set and The Planets.

(N.B. Order must be for even number of items so as to not violate GOS's Law)
Nice choices, AR but I'd highly recommend this one ...a little jazzy but great QUAD and some gorgeous tunes...and 2 albums in QUAD for less than the price of a CD!

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8532
Deodato - Prelude & Deodato 2 [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

Deodato - Prelude & Deodato 2​

[SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

And this one as well if you don't already have it:

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8537

Art Garfunkel - Breakaway [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

Art Garfunkel - Breakaway​

[SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

Last edited:
As fredblue and others have so rightly ascertained......A Clear WINNER ..... 4 Corner QUAD with EXCEPTIONAL Sonics! And nice to have their second album PYRAMID OF THE MOON in hi res Stereo likewise superbly remastered! And kudos to humprof for his stunning liner notes!

AZTECA • AZTECA & PYRAMID OF THE MOON[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

AZTECA • AZTECA & PYRAMID OF THE MOON​

[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

Back