Dutton Vocalion September 2022 Surround Sound SACDs (3)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a silly question (cause the answer may be a resounding yes) for @steelydave ....
Does the Wizard have to have the Quad master tapes BAKED?

Of course, if the tape requires it - not baking a tape that's exhibiting signs of sticky-shed syndrome and playing it can permanently ruin the tape, not to mention the machine playing the tape back. There's no sonic benefit in baking a tape that doesn't need it, so you wouldn't put that kind of stress on a tape unless there's no other alternative.

It's my understanding that the change in tape formulations came about as a result of the Arab Oil Embargo of 1973-1974 - tape manufacturers were looking for alternatives to petroleum-based adhesives because of the high prices for raw materials, so they came up with a synthetic alternative not realising that it would absorb moisture over time, making the tapes unsuable.

I've never been able to find an exact date when the tape stock companies switched formulations, but even if it was sometime in 1973, it would still only affect a percentage of quad masters given that far more releases occurred in the first half of the 1970-1977 quad era than the latter half. Also, not all formulations of tape post-1973 used the synthetic binders that led to sticky shed so some tapes are not affected at all.

Of course, if the tape requires it - not baking a tape that's exhibiting signs of sticky-shed syndrome and playing it can permanently ruin the tape, not to mention the machine playing the tape back. There's no sonic benefit in baking a tape that doesn't need it, so you wouldn't put that kind of stress on a tape unless there's no other alternative.

It's my understanding that the change in tape formulations came about as a result of the Arab Oil Embargo of 1973-1974 - tape manufacturers were looking for alternatives to petroleum-based adhesives because of the high prices for raw materials, so they came up with a synthetic alternative not realising that it would absorb moisture over time, making the tapes unsuable.

I've never been able to find an exact date when the tape stock companies switched formulations, but even if it was sometime in 1973, it would still only affect a percentage of quad masters given that far more releases occurred in the first half of the 1970-1977 quad era than the latter half. Also, not all formulations of tape post-1973 used the synthetic binders that led to sticky shed so some tapes are not affected at all.
Thanks for the answer Dave. I was aware of the early 70s shift from "whale oil" formula to the latter one, so it would be interesting to see which ones actually required baking...this does puts an even extra added value to the quite inexpensive prices of the DV releases, and the new price increase seems laughable taking into account how much other MCH releases are...

Give my best to the Wizard!

what titles did you go for?
I kept adding titles thinking I'd narrow them down to a GOS half dozen but yeah, that didn't happen. :) I was so tempted to get the Azteca release but figured I should focus on the earlier ones since they were more likely to go OOP. Looking forward to checking them out after reading all the reviews!

Return to Forever - Musicmagic
Weather Report - Tale Spinnin'
Deodato - Prelude & Deodato 2
Bachman-Turner Overdrive & Bachman-Turner Overdrive II
Poco - Cantamos & Seven
Pure Prairie League - Two Lane Highway & If the Shoe Fits
Leopold Stokowski/London Symphony Orchestra - Stokowski conducts Bach: The Great Transcriptions & Wagner: Brünnhilde's Immolation
Art Garfunkel - Breakaway
The Guess Who - Road Food & #10
The Guess Who - American Woman & Share the Land

I kept adding titles thinking I'd narrow them down to a GOS half dozen but yeah, that didn't happen. :) I was so tempted to get the Azteca release but figured I should focus on the earlier ones since they were more likely to go OOP. Looking forward to checking them out after reading all the reviews!

Return to Forever - Musicmagic
Weather Report - Tale Spinnin'
Deodato - Prelude & Deodato 2
Bachman-Turner Overdrive & Bachman-Turner Overdrive II
Poco - Cantamos & Seven
Pure Prairie League - Two Lane Highway & If the Shoe Fits
Leopold Stokowski/London Symphony Orchestra - Stokowski conducts Bach: The Great Transcriptions & Wagner: Brünnhilde's Immolation
Art Garfunkel - Breakaway
The Guess Who - Road Food & #10
The Guess Who - American Woman & Share the Land
IMO, GREAT choices James ......but at some point do add AZTECA ...a true tour de force!

IMO, GREAT choices James ......but at some point do add AZTECA ...a true tour de force!
I really do appreciate all the advice on here since I was a kid and was in a Beatles and Beach Boys only phase when most of these were released. I completely missed out on the Quad years! I may try to squeeze in another order before next month's price increase so I'll add Azteca then for sure.

To be honest, I was never a big Country/Western Fan but this 2 disc D~V QUAD remaster containing 4 Kris Kristofferson albums from the early 70's are REAL BEAUTS!

Some have criticized Kris' vocals but on my system they are gorgeous aided and abetted no less by Michael J. D's EXCEPTIONAL remastering from the original analogue masters!

His heartfelt 'gravelly' vocals, crackerjack back up and Columbia/Monument's pristine recordings, IMO and ALL for £23.98, make this a must have set .. provided you like Country Western.

A little tidbit of info: Barbra Streisand originally wanted ELVIS as her co~star in the remake of A STAR IS BORN but failing health and Elvis' death at 42 put the kabash on that and Kristofferson got the role. And Kris' acting chops are also on full display in Yukio Mishima's THE SAILOR WHO FELL FROM GRACE WITH THE SEA, a 1976 British drama!

KRIS KRISTOFFERSON • THE SILVER TONGUED DEVIL AND I, BORDER LORD, JESUS WAS A CAPRICORN, SPOOKY LADY'S SIDESHOW[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

KRIS KRISTOFFERSON • THE SILVER TONGUED DEVIL AND I, BORDER LORD, JESUS WAS A CAPRICORN, SPOOKY LADY'S SIDESHOW​

[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

Last edited:
Nice choices, AR but I'd highly recommend this one ...a little jazzy but great QUAD and some gorgeous tunes...and 2 albums in QUAD for less than the price of a CD!

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8532
Deodato - Prelude & Deodato 2 [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

Deodato - Prelude & Deodato 2​

[SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

And this one as well if you don't already have it:

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8537

Art Garfunkel - Breakaway [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

Art Garfunkel - Breakaway​

[SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

I added the Deodato set to my purchase, but that gave me just five discs which violates GOS's Law. So I added the last Guess Who set Rockin' and Best Of Vol 2.

That makes this latest six pack:
- Azteca
- James Galway: The Magic Flute et al
- Chet Atkins: Super Pickers et al
- Bernstein: Holtz The Planets
- Deodato: Prelude and Deodato 2
- The Guess Who: Rockin and Best Of Vol 2

To be honest, I was never a big Country/Western Fan but this 2 disc D~V QUAD remaster containing 4 Kris Kristofferson albums from the early 70's are REAL BEAUTS!

Some have criticized Kris' vocals but on my system they are gorgeous aided and abetted no less by Michael J. D's EXCEPTIONAL remastering from the original analogue masters!

His heartfelt 'gravelly' vocals, crackerjack back up and Columbia/Monument's pristine recordings, IMO and ALL for £23.98, make this a must have set .. provided you like Country Western.

A little tidbit of info: Barbra Streisand originally wanted ELVIS as her co~star in the remake of A STAR IS BORN but failing health and Elvis' death at 42 put the kabash on that and Kristofferson got the role. And Kris' acting chops are also on full display in Yukio Mishima's THE SAILOR WHO FELL FROM GRACE WITH THE SEA, a 1976 British drama!

KRIS KRISTOFFERSON • THE SILVER TONGUED DEVIL AND I, BORDER LORD, JESUS WAS A CAPRICORN, SPOOKY LADY'S SIDESHOW[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]'S SIDESHOW[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

KRIS KRISTOFFERSON • THE SILVER TONGUED DEVIL AND I, BORDER LORD, JESUS WAS A CAPRICORN, SPOOKY LADY'S SIDESHOW​

I was sampling some songs on this. He's got a couple with Rita Coolidge on 'Capricorn' that are really nice. This four-pack will be included in my next round.

Too bad That his first album wasn't also done in Quad (1970) "Kristofferson". My favourite track Kristofferson track has long been "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down"! Aside from that I can't wait for "Border Lord".

I always loved the movie (cult classic) "Cisco Pike"! I remember there being a reel to reel in his apartment, I forget if it was Quad or not but I do recall it as having 10.5" reels!

Yes Kris is not the greatest singer however his voice compliments the style of country music that he is known for. IMHO he is miles above Willie Nelson!

KRIS KRISTOFFERSON • THE SILVER TONGUED DEVIL AND I, BORDER LORD, JESUS WAS A CAPRICORN, SPOOKY LADY'S SIDESHOW[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]'S SIDESHOW[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

I'm still waiting for my discs to arrive, but wanted to add to the chorus of respect for their historic nature, regardless of whether Kris as a singer is one's cup of tea.
This run of 50-year old albums, released in quad on the Nashville Monument label & distributed by Columbia.

When my brother-in-law passed and I inherited his small, well-worn record collection, there was, to my surprise, one quad title among them.
Kris with girlfriend Rita Coolidge on the cover, wearing shades, the essence of cool and hipness.

IMG_7599.jpeg

Back cover detail: ...[four tracks] produced by Dennis Linde at Quadrafonic Sound Studio [Nashville]...

IMG_7605.jpeg

Inner sleeve:

IMG_7606.jpeg

Weekly charts​

Chart (1972–1973)Peak
position
US Billboard 200[9]
31​
US Top Country Albums (Billboard)[10]
1​

Year-end charts​

Chart (1973)Position
US Billboard 200[11]31
US Top Country Albums (Billboard)[12]10

On the subject of his parallel acting career, my favorite was Pat Garret and Billy the Kid, soundtrack by cast member Bob Dylan.

1662742414019.png

I got another DV batch comin' and I only got the Azteca one from the new ones...
Here we go...

2CDSML8578
Mott the Hoople • The Hoople, All the Young Dudes & Mott [SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel/Stereo]
£19.99

CDLX7381
PIERRE BOULEZ CONDUCTS RAVEL • Daphnis et Chloé & STRAVINSKY • The Song of the Nightingale [SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]
£11.99

CDLX7337
Leopold Stokowski/London Symphony Orchestra - Stokowski conducts Bach: The Great Transcriptions & Wagner: Brünnhilde's Immolation [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
£11.99

CDLX7378
LEONARD BERNSTEIN CONDUCTS HAYDN • Symphonies Nos. 93, 94 & 95 [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
£11.99

CDLX7380
LEOPOLD STOKOWSKI CONDUCTS BEETHOVEN • Symphony No. 3 “Eroica” & BRAHMS • Academic Festival Overture [SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

2CDSML8579
AZTECA • AZTECA & PYRAMID OF THE MOON[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]
£23.99

CDLX7379
EUGENE ORMANDY CONDUCTS Also Sprach Zarathustra & SAINT-SAËNS • Symphony No. 3 [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
£11.99

i like to play this little game whenever a new Vocalion batch comes out.. the game of "let's see how good value this SACD is" 🧐

so, without further ado, here we go! 🥳

Azteca;

i've 2 copies of the SQ LP because the first one i bought had a scratch in "Ain't Got No Special Woman" that resulted in the needle getting stuck "so don't you lie to me, look at my - click - look at my - click - look at my - click - look at my - click.. (!!!) you get the picture! 😂

i later acquired an Azteca Q8 (when i was going through that particular "tapes falling to bits/life falling apart" crisis - but i digress!) 😅🤣

anyway..

2 SQ LPs and a Q8 = £90.00

1 Dutton 2-SACD set = £23.99 (plus p&p)

C1803507-7699-438A-A3D5-D5FC9720226B.jpeg

Last edited:
i like to play this little game whenever a new Vocalion batch comes out.. the game of "let's see how good value this SACD is" 🧐

so, without further ado, here we go! 🥳

Azteca;

i've 2 copies of the SQ LP because the first one i bought had a scratch in "Ain't Got No Special Woman" that resulted in the needle getting stuck "so don't you lie to me, look at my - click - look at my - click - look at my - click - look at my... - click" (!!!) you get the picture! 😂

i later acquired an Azteca Q8 (when i was going through that particular tapes falling to bits/life falling apart crisis - but i digress!) 😅🤣

anyway..

2 SQ LPs and a Q8 = £90.00

1 Dutton 2-SACD set = £23.99 (plus p&p)

View attachment 83269
So do I need to ask which is the clear winner?

And those 4 Kris Kristofferson QUAD albums on 2 discs for £23.99 is so much cheaper than if AP or even AF offered them singly at $30 per disc LIST!

the game continues with Kris Kristofferson;

a slightly closer run contest on the surface of it, moneywise at least.. but really there's no competition at all, the LPs aren't discrete Quad and they never will be since they're
on the SQ system and they don't sound a patch on the SACDs either.

SQ LPs of "Border Lord" (£12), "Jesus Was A Capricorn" (£13), "Spooky Lady's Sideshow" (£20) & "The Silver Tongued Devil & I" (£3)
Total = £48

DV SACDs = £23.99
7DD93DC8-4FEC-444C-8D20-238DB488ACC3.jpeg

..and last but not least, The Friends Of Distinction ✌️🌈🕊☮️🤝

while not part of the game because i don't have any of their Q8 Quad tapes (that's how hard to come by they were by the time i went looking for them, i couldn't find any of them even though i had a fistful of dollars and a few dollars more! 🤑🤣) here's the CD-4 Quad LP of their Hits (cost £8.49, shipping was free because i bought so many LPs from the seller all at once 😅

B25F9D0F-A84E-4554-ABFB-0B0299E26CFF.jpeg

So do I need to ask which is the clear winner?

And those 4 Kris Kristofferson QUAD albums on 2 discs for £23.99 is so much cheaper than if AP or even AF offered them singly at $30 per disc LIST!
the answer, my dear Ralphie, is the SACD is the resounding winner!! it sounds fantastic! 🥰💘🎉

yes! both 4-fer's represent great value for money! the Friends Of Distinction in particular is amazing value because i couldn't get the old original Quad versions at any price since they were never released on Quad vinyl and the Q8s are seriously thin on the ground nowadays!! woo!! 🥳😍

Back