HiRez Poll Carpenters - SINGLES 1969-1981 [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Carpenters - SINGLES 1969-1981

• Total voters
Listening to this now. What a fantastic disc. Sound quality is amazing and the surround mix really suits the music. Karen Carpenter’s amazing voice right there in the room in front of you. So many goosebump-inducing moments. (And this coming from someone who grew up on Zeppelin, Sabbath and Maiden, LOL.)

And the person who voted a 1…. Umm, no.

Listening to this now. What a fantastic disc. Sound quality is amazing and the surround mix really suits the music. Karen Carpenter’s amazing voice right there in the room in front of you. So many goosebump-inducing moments. (And this coming from someone who grew up on Zeppelin, Sabbath and Maiden, LOL.)

Remixed into surround by none other than Richard Carpenter himself. IMO, an amazing compilation, a sonic 'wonder' and I proudly voted 10!

And to think Karen Carpenter wanted primarily to be a drummer .... and not a vocalist!

R.2ea7fccb06aed5c8537b0d98e7474d85

i wonder if they've still got the multitracks safe that were used in the creation of the 5.1... 💡 could make for a wonderful Atmos presentation 💗

i wonder if they've still got the multitracks safe that were used in the creation of the 5.1... 💡 could make for a wonderful Atmos presentation 💗
Unfortunately, according to Richard Carpenter himself all multitracks utilized in the creation of SINGLES were dutifully returned, as requested, to the UMG vaults and perished in the 2007 fire.

Ah, what could've BEEN!

As steelydave has suggested perhaps UMG Japan still has some of those CARPENTER QUAD masters safely preserved!

Last edited:
Remixed into surround by none other than Richard Carpenter himself. IMO, an amazing compilation, a sonic 'wonder' and I proudly voted 10!

And to think Karen Carpenter wanted primarily to be a drummer .... and not a vocalist!

There's a video somewhere on YouTube...(Here it is.) where Karen has at the drums and Richard plays piano with a symphony orchestra. More a demonstration of their other talents than just doing their songs.

In looking over Mark Anderson's invaluable Quadraphonic Discography listing of all Carpenter QUAD releases, it would seem logical that somewhere in the world there still exists those Carpenter QUAD masters ......

THE CARPENTERS -
A Song for You. A&M 8Q-53511 (Q8), Y8QAM-63511 (Q8) [UK],
SAML 934561Q (SQ) [New Zealand]
Close to you. A&M 8Q-54271 (Q8), Y8QAM 998 (Q8) [UK]
Horizon. A&M QU-54530 (CD4), 8Q-54530 (Q8)
Now & Then. A&M QU-53519 (SQ), 8Q-53519 (Q8), A&M 4D-1 (CD4)
[Japan], 4CHA (M)-15 (Q8) [Japan], 4CHA(R)-15 (QR) [Japan]
The Carpenters. A&M 8Q-53502 (Q8), Y8QAM-63502 (Q8) [UK]
The Singles 1969-1973. A&M QU-53601 (SQ), 8Q-53601 (Q8), 4D-22 (CD4)
[Japan], A&M SAMX 2112 (SQ) [Brazil]

That's the classic definition of an 'Outlier'. So its thrown out from the averaging.
....and that person was last seen here over 12 yrs.ago. Maybe they got sucked into a black hole or something😞
...I just realized I hadn't voted so I cast a '10'. Great in every sense of the word!

Last edited:

And she was a competent drummer. But nowhere near what she was as a vocalist.

BTW she only played drums on a few of the tracks on this disc. Most of the drums were played by Hal Blaine or Jim Gordon. She plays on Ticket to Ride, Yesterday Once More, Please Mr Postman and Sing.

Last edited:
I love this sacd and listen to it somewhat regularly. I have never voted on it either but it's a 10 if there ever was one. I was lucky enough to buy this off the shelf at regular retail price before it was sold out (lucky me). Karen's voice is intoxicating. I've always enjoyed the surround mix immensely.

Didn't she play drums on the early albums and then they realized she needed to be out front and concentrate on vocals since she was "the star"?

I love this sacd and listen to it somewhat regularly. I have never voted on it either but it's a 10 if there ever was one. I was lucky enough to buy this off the shelf at regular retail price before it was sold out (lucky me). Karen's voice is intoxicating. I've always enjoyed the surround mix immensely.

Didn't she play drums on the early albums and then they realized she needed to be out front and concentrate on vocals since she was "the star"?
She played drums pretty much exclusively on the first album. (“Offering”/“Ticket To Ride”) And most of the drums on “Now and Then”. Why she didn’t (much) on the others? Maybe Richard can answer this best? 🤷‍♂️

but that she needed to be out front would not have meant anything in the studio.

Especially since they put her behind the drums for TV appearances “performing” songs she didn’t play in the studio. If anything, it seems they played up the “girl drummer” thing more than was the reality.

Last edited:
I'm guessing her physical health (or lack thereof, rather) held her back. 😕
For the last couple of albums? Maybe. But back in 1970?

Hal Blaine is quoted as saying she was too much of a “live” drummer who played too loud and didn’t know how to tone it down for studio work. My guess is it was a label/producer decision early on to bring in the top studio players and then they just continued with the formula that worked.

Have had the Q8 for 49 years now. Doesn’t look a day over 30. LoL Agree with the great sound on both.

Attachments

• BA7C5C3A-BF3E-442F-8486-5B42F8E9F3DD.jpeg
    BA7C5C3A-BF3E-442F-8486-5B42F8E9F3DD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back