HiRez Poll Fixx, The - 1011 WOODLAND [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of The Fixx - 1011 WOODLAND

• 10: Great Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
It's not going to win any awards for surround mix but it's great sounding disc and does have some nice surround moments. I thought it was refreshing that they covered their catalog well but didn't focus on the hits. Great for those would would like to explore the band but aren't crazy about 80s style production - this is a nicely recorded set of songs. Well worth picking up!

I'm lazy and just copied my comments from the discussion thread but I voted an 8 since there's not much to the surround mix. Excellent content and sound quality though.

One of my favorite 80s bands and some really nice updates from their catalog. Shows that great songs are great songs in any era. Great sound and nice, solid surround mix. I recommend this even to those (and maybe more so) who didn’t think they were fans of the band in the 80s. You might be pleasantly surprised. And don’t let the Silverline label scare you. This is the real deal. “9”

One of my favorite 80s bands and some really nice updates from their catalog. Shows that great songs are great songs in any era. Great sound and nice, solid surround mix. I recommend this even to those (and maybe more so) who didn’t think they were fans of the band in the 80s. You might be pleasantly surprised. And don’t let the Silverline label scare you. This is the real deal. “9”

Has Stephen W Tayler done the mix? I think he might have done some Fixx stuff. Or maybe I have that wrong...

This is one of the better Silverline discs. I was initially disappointed with the "redo's" of their songs, but they grew on me and still gets some listening time today. With all the extra's it has been well worth whatever I paid for it when it came out. Mine is a DualDisc, if memory serves.

This is one of the better Silverline discs. I was initially disappointed with the "redo's" of their songs, but they grew on me and still gets some listening time today. With all the extra's it has been well worth whatever I paid for it when it came out. Mine is a DualDisc, if memory serves.
Yeah, I picked this one up for like 5 bucks or something a few years back when I first got into surround sound and there were still a lot of really cheap finds on Ebay. Those days seem to be gone. But recommended for those who can come across one at a decent price. Definitely an 'under-the-radar' release.

Chris Haynes is listed as the 5.1 mixing engineer. Martin Rex did the stereo
Has Stephen W Tayler done the mix? I think he might have done some Fixx stuff. Or maybe I have that wrong...
That was done a long time ago - a period when I didn't have much contact with the band - I would be able to do some great surround with their original catalog and also the newest stuff - but they would have to organise the licences and want to actually fund it to do it! Would be fun though!!

That was done a long time ago - a period when I didn't have much contact with the band - I would be able to do some great surround with their original catalog and also the newest stuff - but they would have to organise the licences and want to actually fund it to do it! Would be fun though!!
I'm a big fan of The Fixx -- have all of their albums, a couple of rare b-sides unavailable anywhere else and Cy's solo stuff.

I would LOVE to have their catalog in surround. The first 4 albums at least, which I think are all classics. But yeah -- I can imagine a band such as them would have to really be interested in surround themselves and push it in the same way TFF or XTC have. And don't know if they have the fan base for deluxe sets?

Who has the rights to those masters of the first 4 albums anyway? UMG? Maybe we'll get the MCA Greatest Hits package streaming on Atmos?

I'm a big fan of The Fixx -- have all of their albums, a couple of rare b-sides unavailable anywhere else and Cy's solo stuff.

I would LOVE to have their catalog in surround. The first 4 albums at least, which I think are all classics. But yeah -- I can imagine a band such as them would have to really be interested in surround themselves and push it in the same way TFF or XTC have. And don't know if they have the fan base for deluxe sets?

Who has the rights to those masters of the first 4 albums anyway? UMG? Maybe we'll get the MCA Greatest Hits package streaming on Atmos?
I'm not sure who has the rights at the moment. The fan base is almost entirely based in the USA - they have never had any profile in the UK.

Well, having recorded and mixed the first four albums it would be an amazing treat to get my hands on the original tapes - and I can imagine it all working really well in 5.1! Let's hope there might be enough interest.

I'm not sure who has the rights at the moment. The fan base is almost entirely based in the USA - they have never had any profile in the UK.

Well, having recorded and mixed the first four albums it would be an amazing treat to get my hands on the original tapes - and I can imagine it all working really well in 5.1! Let's hope there might be enough interest.
Yeah---always thought it so odd that this British band never clicked in the UK. (or anywhere else really) But yes -- those albums would be amazing in surround and you'd be the man to do it, without question. :cool:

The band DID do this one release in surround so presumably they have SOME interest in the format?

Do you know if the multis even exist? I presume they would have been in the UK and therefore not lost in the dreadful fire of 2007.

By the way -- kudos on the mixes of those first 4 albums. The mix and the sound of "Stand or Fall" is what first made me a fan of the band and rushing out to buy "Shuttered Room" which I think still sounds incredible. (I know not everyone loves 80s music and mixes, but I do)

By the way -- kudos on the mixes of those first 4 albums. The mix and the sound of "Stand or Fall" is what first made me a fan of the band and rushing out to buy "Shuttered Room" which I think still sounds incredible. (I know not everyone loves 80s music and mixes, but I do)
Me too! I ran out and bought Shuttered Room after seeing Stand or Fall on MTV back then. Love those early albums and would be all over surround releases!

On the other hand, some of the Fixx albums upmix pretty well. Hmm maybe I'll try a stem extraction and see what I can mix up.

But still, yeah, I'd live to have a few Fixx titles in surround other than the Silverline 1011 Woodland I have. I'm OK with 1011 Woodland although initially it was a letdown as they don't play the "hit versions" of their songs. But it's something, at least. (Yawns over self indulgement re-work. Smiles at a surround release)

@Stephen W Tayler To totally derail the thread... Did you happen to work on the "Better Off Dead" soundtrack with Rupert Hine? A guilty pleasure favorite of mine. Well I guess it isn't a complete derailing since members of Fixx were featured on one of the songs.

@Stephen W Tayler To totally derail the thread... Did you happen to work on the "Better Off Dead" soundtrack with Rupert Hine? A guilty pleasure favorite of mine. Well I guess it isn't a complete derailing since members of Fixx were featured on one of the songs.
Yes I worked on the soundtrack and album with Rupert

Back