What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MOTTOLA in Paris - QS

1661566150075.png

Need your feedback on the Dave Mason's Quads Baggy. You have the other two right ;) ???

I always felt they could really benefit from a good lathering-up from one M J D, as at least on my system his vocals always sounded too far back in the mix in the Phantom Center. With your larger speakers and room layout/acoustics they may come into focus better. But I guess he does kind of have a sort of soft, monotone timbre to his vocals which doesn't help. Maybe a future LiS segment just on Dave would be sweeeeettt!!!

In the late seventies I was president of the St. Louis Classical Guitar society. My predecessor had booked the Abreu brothers for a concert.
One week before the scheduled date we got a call from their agent telling us that one of the Abreu bros was not well and would we settle for only one but for the same price. We didn't. One of the brothers decided he didn't want to play any more.

The good news was I was introduced to a guitarist who was one of the best on the planet who came on short notice and was so good that we brought him back two more times while I was in charge. His name was Philip Rosheger. He burned brightly and died young.

https://musictales.club/article/sor...tarists to achieve international recognition.
I would be interested in a needle drop of that record to hear what we missed , if anything.

Last edited:
Good story Gene. My brother got a music degree in classical guitar. We saw Segovia in the 70s. I remember the Abreu brothers have the above quad album and an older album of theirs. I think they had a younger sister who went into music too
I never heard of the guitarist you mentioned. What are some of his recordings?
A similar story concerns a lute player Eugen Dombois Swiss I believe. He had 2 albums on the ABC Seon label worth tracking down. A cd of selections also came out
He developed a problem with his hands and stopped playing.

Eugen Dombois was a great player. I think he had a fracture that didn't heal right. I have several LPs by him.

There are a few Philip Rosheger you tube videos but none of them reveal how good he was. In 1972 he won the competition judged by Segovia and his crew at Santiago de Compostela Spain. He was the first American to win. They were not terribly pro american in Spain at that time. Franco was still in charge. However the decision of the judges was unanimous.

As far as I know there are no good recordings of him out there. I have three ten inch reels that I need to digitize and release because they were concerts he played at the peak of his musicianship. (1976, 1977 and 1979)

Philip's Bio note review quote from St. Louis

https://philiprosheger.homestead.com/https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/npr/160345901/
He was playing on the street in Berkeley. The instrument is the Jose Ramirez he won in the above competition. He pretty much wore the fretboard of it out. When he won he played every single instrument in Ramirez' shop and picked out the one he liked the best.

Sadly , I always thought he should have taken up rock and roll. He would have had a lot more money.

Last edited:
Anyone find it interesting that on the back of the Beck, Bogert & Appice LP, Carmine Appice himself gets the mix credit just for track 5 ("Sweet Sweet Surrender")?

View attachment 82841

Not the mix credit, but the supervision credit, where Harold J. Kleiner did the rest. It would be interesting to ask Appice if he remembers why this is, but you'd guess that either they did the quad mix and the band liked it all except for one track and had it remixed with Appice supervising, or the other way around, they had Appice sit in on the quad mix for one track to sort of set a template for how they wanted it to sound, and then he went away and Don Young finished up the rest with Kleiner supervising.

It's certainly a rare occurrence, but I can think of at least one other like this: the quad mix Johnnie Taylor's Eargasm has the album's producer, Don Davis credited as the quad remix supervisor for two tracks, and Kleiner for the remaining songs. I have a feeling this kind of thing probably happened uncredited all the time too, as (for example) Arthur Stoppe told me that Dexter Wansel attended to supervise the quad mix of the two songs he had on MFSB's Philadelphia Freedom.

ah i dunno, you know.... the Ovation QS records i tried out were rather "lacklustre" in the Surround-y-ness department, shall we say.

🤔💡 i think i may have this one on Q8 somewhere, slowly disintegrating... 🥴 or maybe one of her other Quads, idk.. really there's so many superb SQ & QS Quads its easy to summarily dismiss the underwhelming ones like the Ovations, i should probably give them a 2nd chance!

Last edited:
🤔💡 i think i may have it on Q8 somewhere, slowly disintegratingggg... 🥴 or maybe one of her other Quads, idk.. really there's so many superb SQ & QS Quads its easy to summarily dismiss the underwhelming ones like the Ovations, i should probably give them a 2nd chance!

Maybe some are lackluster, but I found the Harvey Mandel-Get Off In Chicago QSLP a demo quality album when played via Vario Matrix on my QSD 2.

I have other Ovations ,but that one stands out. And I never had the Q8 for comparison.

PS : beware the wrath of QL , she loves those Bonnie Kolocs.

Need your feedback on the Dave Mason's Quads Baggy. You have the other two right ;) ???

I always felt they could really benefit from a good lathering-up from one M J D, as at least on my system his vocals always sounded too far back in the mix in the Phantom Center. With your larger speakers and room layout/acoustics they may come into focus better. But I guess he does kind of have a sort of soft, monotone timbre to his vocals which doesn't help. Maybe a future LiS segment just on Dave would be sweeeeettt!!!

I think that in order of good quads to poor , it kinda goes ..."Dave Mason -Dave Mason" , then "It's Like You Never Left" , and finally.."Split Coconut" . 🤔

Oh man. Back in '74 I moved out on my own to a nice but small rented house, no roommate. That album & Mott the Hoople in SQ I blast at full volume, both front & back doors open. I wanted to let the neighborhood know I had arrived. Nobody seemed very impressed except me....

Thanks for the memories.

I wonder if this was one of those "on purpose" quad LP in a stereo sleeve guerilla marketing things that Columbia seems to have done a bit of - @fredblue has a couple of these I think, with a letter from the label inserted in the sleeve explaining that the swap was on purpose.

Back