Looking for info on these Silverline titles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, got a bunch. First the Dualdiscs of the Songs of the Auvergne and Mahler Symphonies 5+6

Edit to add: They did a really nice job on the Davrath Songs of the Auvergne - there's a short filmed interview with Maynard Solomon about the making of the recording, an extensive library of images of correspondence about the making of the recording, and (something I don't know why more discs don't do) available onscreen lyrics that match the progression of the track. The images include the recording notes and more, revealing (unsurprisingly) that this was made to 3-track stereo. The surround mix is front-heavy and surrounds are faint and presumably fake. This one also had a stereo-only DVD-A release on Classic Records, which also included Volume 2 with more of these songs, not included on the Silverline release.

20220913_210002.jpg

Last edited:
So, a lot of the discs have a tech specs section, this is the one from the Sibelius Symphonies 5-7 Disc, for instance. This is largely the same as is described in the short "Transferring and Restoring a Legacy" documentary included on pretty much all of the Silverline classical discs. No mention anywhere of the surround mix, here or in the documentary.

Edit to add: the surround mix on the (post-quad) Sibelius disc wasn't terribly discrete. Although I assume there's at least an 8 track master, if not more, it didn't really sound like it.
2022-09-13 21.51.00.jpg
2022-09-13 21.51.32.jpg

Last edited:
I gave the “Prokifiev” disc a spin last night, with a bit more time to explore it. I found that not inly did the automatically playing chapters had a MLP 5.1 track, it also had a stereo track, both being 96/24. Then I discovered that it had a separate “movie” with Dolby digital 5.1 and stereo tracks. It also had a “bonus” track that covered a bit of the Silverline process of digitizing the old Vanguard masters.

Interestingly, on the MLP track, there was an apparent glitch (seemed part of the original recording, because of its location) where playback stopped momentarily between two tracks, and the menu screen showed very obvious compression artifacts for several songs, then it glitched again between songs and cleared up. That was on the “Peter and the Wolf” section. It did not appear on the “Lt. Kije” section, or any of the Dolby menus.

There was a lot less reverb in this recording than in the Tchaikovsky.

So, that disc is pretty clearly this recording...I'd be shocked if it was anything but a stereo source.
71OSsS9m-+L._SL1140_.jpg
The Prokoffiev disc has an extra video that mentions there were master tapes in several formats, depending on the recording itself. Unfortunately, there were no specifics. 😡

The Prokoffiev disc has an extra video that mentions there were master tapes in several formats, depending on the recording itself. Unfortunately, there were no specifics. 😡
Yup, it's the same video on every disc except the Davrath one. Lots of detail on the stereo transfer, nothing on surround. Odd choice given the label.

The London Symphony Orchestra 'Classic Christmas' 288045-9 (DVD-A)

5.1 mix is fake.

I know I'm probably splitting hairs here, and perhaps there's no way to tell definitively, but is it fake in that it's beyond a shadow of a doubt an upmix from a stereo recording, or is it just ambient in the surround channels? Is there anything discrete in the center channel?

There is a variant of The Nutcracker. The copy I own is a DVD-V and not a DVD-A. All artwork is the same as what @barfle posted except for the UPC number and the disc label. My copy has a catalog number of 86008-9 (and I am assuming the DVD-A catalog number is 88008-9). Strangely, notice that my disc has a catalog number of 81008-9 (possibly another variant or just a typo?).

The 81xxx-9 were the very first releases, in the standard CD jewel case, 86xxx-9 came next, super jewel case versions of the same thing - I think the last of these is 86044-9 David Becker Tribune 'Germerica' or at least that's what my research tells me. After that the catalog numbers switch to 288xxx-9 starting with 288045-9 London Symphony Orchestra 'Classic Christmas'. The strange thing is, you'd think, "OK, the 81xxx-9 and 86xxx-9 discs are the DVD-V only releases, and 288xxx-9 is the switch to DVD-A releases" but I've seen many (many) sealed copies of the 81xxx-9 and 86xxx-9 on eBay that have a sticker on the front that has the DVD Audio/Video logo on it. So (and it seems to be the case that they did this according to a Billboard article I found) that they went back in early 2001 after the DVD-A standard was agreed and reauthored all the DVD-V discs as DVD-A/V and put them in the same cases without changing the catalog numbers. Why the switch from 86xxx-9 to 288xxx-9 I don't know (yet) - it could've been a switch in distributors, or a price increase, or some other reason that I haven't anticipated yet.

Sex Pistols -No Future UK DVDA

Definitely upmixes, but that being said their stereo albums did not sound very good as well , so maybe this is the best they'll ever be.

View attachment 83389View attachment 83393

Thanks for all these Fizzy, definitely fills a couple of gaps!
The Sibelius Symphonies:
View attachment 83427

Excellent work - only one issue, the Symphony No.6 credits page is partially obliterated by your flash...can you let me know who the 5.1 remixer is on that one, or re-take that one picture?

I gave the “Prokifiev” disc a spin last night, with a bit more time to explore it. I found that not inly did the automatically playing chapters had a MLP 5.1 track, it also had a stereo track, both being 96/24. Then I discovered that it had a separate “movie” with Dolby digital 5.1 and stereo tracks. It also had a “bonus” track that covered a bit of the Silverline process of digitizing the old Vanguard masters.

Interestingly, on the MLP track, there was an apparent glitch (seemed part of the original recording, because of its location) where playback stopped momentarily between two tracks, and the menu screen showed very obvious compression artifacts for several songs, then it glitched again between songs and cleared up. That was on the “Peter and the Wolf” section. It did not appear on the “Lt. Kije” section, or any of the Dolby menus.

There was a lot less reverb in this recording than in the Tchaikovsky.

Interesting, do any other of these Silverline/Vanguard discs have gaps between tracks or is it just an authoring problem with this one disc?

I would characterize the mix as ambient in the rear channels and there is nothing discrete in the center channel that I noticed. It is a typical classical multichannel mix.

I would characterize the mix as ambient in the rear channels and there is nothing discrete in the center channel that I noticed. It is a typical classical multichannel mix.

Thank you, and to everyone who's contributed thusfar - I've deleted all the ones provided in the thread so far from the list in post #1, so what you see remaining is what I still need:

Silverline

The London Philharmonic Orchestra
'Classical Masters Series: Grieg' 86029-9
The London Philharmonic Orchestra 'Classical Masters Series: Mendelssohn' 86030-9
Don Jackson / The London Philharmonic Orchestra 'Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake' 86032-9
Various Artists 'Inside the Music: Classic Country' 86037-9
The London Symphony Orchestra 'Classic Christmas' 288045-9 (DVD-A) / 284021-2 (DualDisc)
Fireside 'Uomini D'onore' 288047-9
Mineral 'The Power Of Failing' 288048-9
Bobby Womack 'Soul Sensation Live' 288066-9
Ken Boothe 'Crying Over You: Anthology' 288077-9
The Dubliners The Definitive Transatlantic Collection 288078-9
Various Artists 'Ruder Than You: The Best of British Ska' 288091-9
Richard Friedman 'Sounds of the Season - Out West' 288102-9
Richard Friedman 'Sounds of the Season - Island Rhythms' 288103-9
Richard Friedman 'Sounds of the Season - Smooth Jazz' 288104-9
Richard Friedman 'Sounds of the Season - Piano Solos' 288105-9
Richard Friedman 'Sounds of the Season - Urban Grooves' 288106-9
38 Special 'A Wild-Eyed Christmas Night' 288107-9
Various Artists 'Reggae Christmas II' 288110-9
André Gagnon 'Noël' 288111-9
Various Artists 'Reggae Pulse: The Heartbeat of Jamaica' 288123-9 (DVD-A) / 284516-2 (DualDisc)
Dizzie Gillespie 'Matrix: The Perception Sessions' 288129-9
T-Bone Walker 'Back On The Scene' 288135-9
Canned Heat 'From the Front Row... Live!' 288160-9
Greg Lake 'From the Front Row... Live!' 288162-9
Kingfish 'From the Front Row... Live!' 288166-9
Jerry Lee Lewis 'From the Front Row... Live!' 288170-9
Robert Gordon 'From the Front Row... Live!' 288192-9
Stiff Little Fingers 'From the Front Row... Live!' 288193-9
April Wine 'From the Front Row... Live!' 288194-9
Maurice Abravanel / Utah Symphony Orchestra Williams: Symphony No.6 in E minor 288239-9 (DVD-A) / 284206-2 (DualDisc)
Maurice Abravanel / Utah Symphony Orchestra 'Rachmaninov: Symphony No. 3' 288242-9 (DVD-A) / 284212-2 (DualDisc)
Adrian Boult / The Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra Of London 'Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67 / Leonore Overture No. 3 in C Major, Op. 72b' 288253-9 (DVD-A) / 284219-2 (DualDisc)
Adrian Boult / The Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra Of London 'Beethoven: Symphony No.3 in E Flat Major Op.55, "Eroica" & Coriolan Overture, Op.62' 288254-9 (DVD-A) / 284220-2 (DualDisc)
Maurice Abravanel / Utah Symphony Orchestra 'Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker' 284214-2 (DualDisc)
Anthony Bernard / London Chamber Orchestra 'Handel: Water Music & Music for Royal Fireworks' 284217-2 (DualDisc)
Various Artists 'Reggae Masters Vol.1' (DVD-V) 284521-2 (DualDisc)
Various Artists 'Classic Rock Masters Vol. 1' (DVD-V) 284522-2 (DualDisc)
Various Artists 'Classic Rock Masters - Current Music' (DVD-V) 284523-2 (DualDisc)
Various Artists 'Blues Masters' (DVD-V) 284526-2 (DualDisc)
Various Artists 'Heavy Metal Masters' (DVD-V) 284528-2 (DualDisc)
Various Artists 'Live Rock Masters' (DVD-V) 284533-2 (DualDisc)
Various Artists 'British Invasion Masters' (DVD-V) 284535-2 (DualDisc)
Bob Marley 'Reggae Master' (DVD-V) 284538-2 (DualDisc)
Queensrÿche / Geoff Tate 'Face to Face' (DVD-V) 284540-2 (DualDisc)
Various Artists 'Classic Rock Masters Vol. 2' (DVD-V) 284545-2 (DualDisc)
Various Artists 'Reggae Masters Vol. 2' (DVD-V) 284548-2 (DualDisc)

Immergent

Dishwalla
'Live… Greetings From the Flow State' 284117-2 (DualDisc)
Various Artists 'South Beach Sounds - Miami Music Week Vol. 1' (DVD-V) 284125-2 (DualDisc)

Last edited:
Interesting, do any other of these Silverline/Vanguard discs have gaps between tracks or is it just an authoring problem with this one disc?
So far, that's the only one I've seen with those glitches, and as I noted, they are only present on the MLP track, not the DD one.

I gave the Sleeping Beauty disc a listen to this evening, and as with the others, five speakers produce sound. Decent stuff from the fronts, not a lot from the backs. Interesting points about this disc: It autoplays (as do the others I've listened to lately) with a slideshow of pleasant pictures of plants and trees, with NOTHING whatsoever to do with the music. There is only the MLP 5.1 96/24 track, although there's another disc track with the same music and some rather oddly timed text describing the ballet or the music.

The whole performance is under an hour, and the musical selections from the ballet (with which I am fairly familiar) seem odd to me - not what I would have picked, but then nobody asked.

My OPPO can show me a data rate, which I assume is what's coming off the disc, although I'm open to listening to anyone who has real knowledge. This disc generally runs about 6Mbps, with a peak over 10, while the others were more in the 4-5Mbps range. I have no idea why.

So far, that's the only one I've seen with those glitches, and as I noted, they are only present on the MLP track, not the DD one.

I gave the Sleeping Beauty disc a listen to this evening, and as with the others, five speakers produce sound. Decent stuff from the fronts, not a lot from the backs. Interesting points about this disc: It autoplays (as do the others I've listened to lately) with a slideshow of pleasant pictures of plants and trees, with NOTHING whatsoever to do with the music. There is only the MLP 5.1 96/24 track, although there's another disc track with the same music and some rather oddly timed text describing the ballet or the music.

The whole performance is under an hour, and the musical selections from the ballet (with which I am fairly familiar) seem odd to me - not what I would have picked, but then nobody asked.

My OPPO can show me a data rate, which I assume is what's coming off the disc, although I'm open to listening to anyone who has real knowledge. This disc generally runs about 6Mbps, with a peak over 10, while the others were more in the 4-5Mbps range. I have no idea why.
The background video?

Excellent work - only one issue, the Symphony No.6 credits page is partially obliterated by your flash...can you let me know who the 5.1 remixer is on that one, or re-take that one picture?
Mahler 6:
20220915_093328.jpg

Rach 3; Beethoven 3, 5

20220915_094416.jpg

By the way, the "Philharmonic Promenade" is a fake name - it's actually the London Philharmonic, performing under a different name because they were under contract to another label.

Back