Looking for info on these Silverline titles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Richard Friedman 'Sounds of the Season - Piano Solos' 288105-9

IMG_20220915_180250.jpg

Basically identical credits on both back cover and inlay.
Would comment on the mix but my Oppo doesn't seem to read anything right now. Should have the FLACs somewhere though...

Attachments

• IMG_20220915_180139.jpg
    IMG_20220915_180139.jpg
    945.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The background video?
Doesn't seem like it should be. It's a slide show, varying from 3 pictures per minute or so and down to several minutes per picture. To me, the video is a big minus on this disc.

I played the Leroy Anderson disc this evening. Four different audio tracks, this time on four different video tracks. 5.1 MLP, which autoplays, 2.0 MLP, 5.1 DD and 2.0 DD. The same video about restoring Vanguard tapes is on this, as well as a 16-minute memorial to Maurice Abravanel.

I thought the audio was uneven, with a few tracks, Plink, Plank, Plunk especially sounding muffled, at least in the 5.1 MLP track. Again, it's not fully satisfactory, although it's not trash.

Doesn't seem like it should be. It's a slide show, varying from 3 pictures per minute or so and down to several minutes per picture. To me, the video is a big minus on this disc.

It is a video and will certainly change the data rate, compared to simply straight audio.

It is a video and will certainly change the data rate, compared to simply straight audio.
In MPEG video, a still image has one I-frame, followed by null P or B frames. So, no, that probably isn’t the cause.At least it shouldn’t be. I don’t find such data rates even on 1080 action movies most of the time.

I know 24/96 5.1 doesn’t fit in the DVD-A bandwidth, which is why Meridian Lossless Compression is necessary for high-resolution audio on a DVD. I don’t know enough about its details to say that some audio signals wouldn’t cause it, so maybe there’s something stressful about those passages.

In MPEG video, a still image has one I-frame, followed by null P or B frames. So, no, that probably isn’t the cause.At least it shouldn’t be. I don’t find such data rates even on 1080 action movies most of the time.

I know 24/96 5.1 doesn’t fit in the DVD-A bandwidth, which is why Meridian Lossless Compression is necessary for high-resolution audio on a DVD. I don’t know enough about its details to say that some audio signals wouldn’t cause it, so maybe there’s something stressful about those passages.
DVDA Explorer gives some info on the different channels on a disc. Maybe see if anything is different on that particular title.

Random observation - for Swan Lake I somehow have both the dualdisc and the DVD-A. However, the package claims the dualdisc stereo track is at 24/192. Pretty sure the stereo track is only 24/96. Probably not a big difference, but interesting, since I'd assumed they were identical. This release is on two dualdiscs, and they do surround on one DVD side, and stereo on another, rather than simply replicating the tracks on the CDs.

I played the Nutcracker last night. Two separate tracks, one with a slide show, one with badly timed commentary, both with only 5.1 MLP. Again, the video is so messed up that it detracts from the listening experience. Probably why rhe discs languish in the drawer for years at a time.

Seriously, how could they have done such careful work on the Vanguard restorations, then let text slides that tell you about the opening of a passage appear at the end of the passage. Several of the chapters repeat the text presentation during that chapter, some do not. What a waste!

Back