Beatles Revolver Box Set (Dolby Atmos Mix available for streaming; No Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Atmos is being used as a buzz word by the marketing teams. I streamed the Atmos version of Taxman on my setup rendered in 5.1. It was very dissappointing almost nothing coming out the rear speakers. If the rest of the album in Atmos cannot render a 5.1 playback then again we ask why not a bluray with high res stereo and 5.1. There must be many many more 5.1 systems then Atmos out there.

If the Atmos mix doesn't sound good in 5.1 the chances are it isn't going to sound good with the additional height speakers. A good Atmos mix sounds good in 5.1. Atmos is designed for any number of speakers.

1663480484635.png

Missing Giles dost know what the fans want
This came from the Hoffman forum.
The thread is 608 pages long.
Impossible or insane to read every post, so I check the last page every day or so.
This popped up under the title Giles Bingo.
It sums up the main topics of endless discussion.

By the way, I just pre-ordered the box after getting the SDE alert that Amazon knocked off 20%.
The album is my favorite of theirs, Rain my favorite single.

Nobody has to be happy about the blu ray, I'm certainly not.
But growing up with them, they're part of my musical life.
I want the book and outtakes on my shelf with my other 60 years of stuff.
Sooner than later, without any apology. ☮️ 🇬🇧

I’m exactly in the same boat. Exactly. Favorite album, Rain favorite song. I am most excited about the Atmos so, unless I can get the Atmos by just purchasing CD’s it won’t be happening. I won’t just purchase digital versions alone.

This news should have made me very happy but it ended up doing the complete opposite. 😢 Still hoping against all hope that purchasing the two CD set includes Atmos digital but me thinks not.

Impossible or insane to read every post, so I check the last page every day or so.

By the way, I just pre-ordered the box after getting the SDE alert that Amazon knocked off 20%.

I ordered it too, despite no BD and it seems streaming Atmos only. A remixed Revolver is too good of an album to pass by, even in stereo. So it's a f' it kind of decision.

Besides no BD, my biggest gripe is the pissed poor wording & punctuation in the official announcements and repeats by various sites that totally confused the issue of whether the digital download & Atmos were included or not in the box set, what form they would take, how to obtain. And whether Atmos was going to be included in this digital package or streaming only. To this day, this hasn't been clearly stated in a followup by someone at the Apple label. Even a simple statement by Giles M would suffice as an unofficial spokesman. But nope.

I said this before, it almost looks like outright obfuscation to deliberately confuse the buyer. All that was needed was a direct clarifying statement from someone at the Apple label and the jerks couldn't even do that. Way to go! :poop:

Love the Beatles, love Revolver, but marketing & suits screwed the pooch on this release, starting with not including a BD to begin with.

Wow its going to take more than 20% off for me to buy this i'm afraid.

With a blu ray the content is not worth RRP really. But I would possibly have sprung for it eventually.

Without the blu ray this is a £30 set mascarading as a deluxe edition

Wow its going to take more than 20% off for me to buy this i'm afraid.

With a blu ray the content is not worth RRP really. But I would possibly have sprung for it eventually.

Without the blu ray this is a £30 set mascarading as a deluxe edition
The LP-sized 100-page book is worthless?
I count it as half the value of the set, surely $50.
Different strokes.

Lossless streaming in CD-quality stereo for subscribers, or the reasonable 2-CD version.
Something for everybody.

All I keep thinking is...

To date, Pink Floyd have been able to sell stand-alone SACD's, BRD-A's and even a DVD DTS discs of their albums for very reasonable money. And still make money from them...

The Beatles
🇬🇧
were always a top-price
💷
💷
💷
business model in my recollection.

They'd broken up in 1970 as soon as I was old enough to get a part-time minimum wage job.
I never bought more than one album (and a couple singles), because they cost a dollar more than everything else.

It wasn't until the CD era I started collecting the catalog on an adult income.
Then Anthology came along, bought all of that: CDs, video box set, book.
Don't recall them being budget-priced either.

So not unexpected, or inconsistent with any of their recent SDEs.
Only on this forum do potential buyers pooh-pooh the books and unreleased material as negligible value.

I have noticed ,that some of the Beatles collector content providers, are now saying, that we need "a proper stereo mix" of Revolver as if to fuel demand for it, and presume that no one will notice when the (often unseen hands of) marketers (and A&R agents) have been active.

I have a big pile of box sets waiting on my multichannel systems completion. The Multi channel content is absolutely the only reason I bought them.
I am sure all the books are very nice, and I will look at them. I do like to learn more about the Beatles, and their milieu. But it is the mch that made me get my wallet out. I currently have , within very easy reach,,three different LPs of Revolver (English mono from 1966 , Chilean Odeon EMI stereo from 66 and the USA Capitol stereo also from late sixties) I also have stereo and mono from the (2009)box sets , the 2014 mono and stereo USA Capitol cds, and the 24 bit 2009 stereo FLAC file. Plus the 1987 original cd issue that was standardized to both the USA and UK. There is also a great deal of Revolver contemporaneous content on "unofficial" releases.

I just can't imagine what the new edition will offer me for 100 or 200 bucks in the absence of a multi-channel disc. I decline to be pushed towards streaming. If that is the only way to get it I shall look for somebody who has ripped it which I am pretty sure will occur.

Last edited:
Only on this forum do potential buyers pooh-pooh the books and unreleased material as negligible value.
I see it more about offering a choice. There will always be a market for people who want to buy big boxed sets that include demos, unreleased tracks, books, etc. My main interest is the surround sound re-mixes!

I hear you in terms of a 'kitchen sink' approach. Part of me wants to hear every note they ever recorded as well. At the same time, there's something to be said for only releasing the stuff that is different enough or quirky enough to be interesting. Repeated takes of the same song where the only difference is they were just trying to nail it a bit tighter? Or a lot of early stops because someone flubbed a bit? I can see leaving that behind.

In the case of Good Day Sunshine, that was one of the quickest tracks they recorded for the album. They only did three takes and ended up keeping Take 1. So presumably the other two were simply attempts to see if "can we do this any better?" only to find out they really couldn't.
Isn’t it simply amazing that the first take was the keeper? I think they peaked as a “ band” on Revolver, playing together at the same time on the floor of studio 2.

in terms of why there isn’t more outake material, Paul and Ringo are among the most famous, proud and revered musicians in rock music. I suspect that recordings that are sloppily played and/or mistake laden would be considered embarrassing by these guys.

The Beatles
🇬🇧
were always a top-price
💷
💷
💷
business model in my recollection.

They'd broken up in 1970 as soon as I was old enough to get a part-time minimum wage job.
I never bought more than one album (and a couple singles), because they cost a dollar more than everything else.

It wasn't until the CD era I started collecting the catalog on an adult income.
Then Anthology came along, bought all of that: CDs, video box set, book.
Don't recall them being budget-priced either.

I do put a high value in the unreleased tracks. It is often the portion I listen to the most.
From what I have been able to discern, 25 of the 31 out-take tracks have never been released before.
I do feel they dropped the ball by not offering more.
They were smart enough to include the original mono mix of "Tomorrow Never Knows" but they chose to omit the "Yesterday & Today" mixes of "I'm Only Sleeping", "And You're Bird Can Sing" and "Dr. Robert".
What? Why?
As I wrote earlier in this thread, this kind of release is pretty much a "last call" for the fans that grew up with the music. As physical media becomes more and more of a fringe option, this is the final big chance to do a complete and exhaustive celebration of the album in question. This would have been the perfect place to include those alternate mono and stereo mixes of those songs. They could have fit on that ersatz "Paperback Writer"/"Rain" EP

I want to hear these out-takes. But I just can't bring myself to spend any money on this.

Back