Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation (5.1/Dolby Atmos) 24-Jun-2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wait is over.

284698DA-578C-4DB0-A55E-EFEC604B1E44.jpeg

I’d never seen SW perform live before (aside from watching the concert Blu-Rays), so the Radio City PT show pretty much blew my mind. Some initial thoughts:

• According to the dB meter in my Apple Watch, the average volume of the show hovered around 95 dB (I was seated at balcony level). Earplugs required! Once you’ve got those in, the sonics are pretty decent - vocals and guitars in particular seemed nice and clear - with the only major exception being the low-end. The bass guitar was all earthquake-like resonance with very little attack, which kind of sucked all the power and precision out of “Harridan”. Overall, I couldn't really make out Nate Navarro's contributions.

• Really impressed by Steven’s live vocals, the only passages where he seemed to struggle a bit were the falsetto section in “Chimera’s Wreck” after the guitar solo ("these the things I did...") and the middle section of “Herd Culling” (“did you curse this place…”). There was also a funny moment where he forgot some of the lyrics to "Dignity".

• I loved John Wesley’s contributions throughout the Arriving Somewhere and Anesthetize shows, but Randy McStine’s performance here was even better. His falsetto vocals in “Chimera’s Wreck” were insane! Awesome guitar player too.

• The video that plays along with "Dignity" is great! The imagery and concept was owes more than a passing nod to "Aqualung"

• “Rats Return” is my least favorite track from C/C by a long shot, but it was an unexpected highlight of the live show. Randy McStine adds a cool choppy rhythm guitar part during the second verse that gives it a bit more funk.

• I’m a bit disappointed they skipped “I Drive The Hearse”, leaving The Incident as the only album from that original 1999-2010 run unrepresented during the show.

• The energy level during the ‘Pills I’m Taking’ section of “Anesthetize” was through the roof. Fear Of A Blank Planet has never been a favorite of mine, but people really went wild when they played anything from that album.

Enjoy! I saw them the last time they played there, their 2nd-to-last show before this tour, and my one and only time seeing them live. It was a great place to see a show like that. Jealous of the setlist you are about to experience.
I was there too. Steven commented on it during the show. Saying it was like a long wait for the encore.

I’d never seen SW perform live before (aside from watching the concert Blu-Rays), so the Radio City PT show pretty much blew my mind. Some initial thoughts:

• According to the dB meter in my Apple Watch, the average volume of the show hovered around 95 dB (I was seated at balcony level). Earplugs required! Once you’ve got those in, the sonics are pretty decent - vocals and guitars in particular seemed nice and clear - with the only major exception being the low-end. The bass guitar was all earthquake-like resonance with very little attack, which kind of sucked all the power and precision out of “Harridan”. Overall, I couldn't really make out Nate Navarro's contributions.

• Really impressed by Steven’s live vocals, the only passages where he seemed to struggle a bit were the falsetto section in “Chimera’s Wreck” after the guitar solo ("these the things I did...") and the middle section of “Herd Culling” (“did you curse this place…”). There was also a funny moment where he forgot some of the lyrics to "Dignity".

• I loved John Wesley’s contributions throughout the Arriving Somewhere and Anesthetize shows, but Randy McStine’s performance here was even better. His falsetto vocals in “Chimera’s Wreck” were insane! Awesome guitar player too.

• The video that plays along with "Dignity" is great! The imagery and concept was owes more than a passing nod to "Aqualung"

• “Rats Return” is my least favorite track from C/C by a long shot, but it was an unexpected highlight of the live show. Randy McStine adds a cool choppy rhythm guitar part during the second verse that gives it a bit more funk.

• I’m a bit disappointed they skipped “I Drive The Hearse”, leaving The Incident as the only album from that original 1999-2010 run unrepresented during the show.

• The energy level during the ‘Pills I’m Taking’ section of “Anesthetize” was through the roof. Fear Of A Blank Planet has never been a favorite of mine, but people really went wild when they played anything from that album.
Thanks for your description. Makes me glad that my tickets to the SF show just sold on StubHub...

Thanks for the review.
I am shocked that Steven Wilson is still playing at unsafe decibel levels. When I saw his Hand Cannot Erase tour I loved the music but my ears were hurting. Probably contributed to my hearing issues.
I love loud music but we have been aware of its harm to hearing for a long time.
I guess he doesn't care.

I went to the Minneapolis Rammstein concert on 8/27 - it was a great show but I didn't bring ear protection and regretted it. Fortunately no lasting damage but it was so loud it verged on white noise at times. Good to know PT is playing loud - will definitely bring ear protection for the Denver show next week.

The bass at the Toronto show too was too boomy and indiscernible, but I feel the levels got better as the show went on. Forgot my damn earplugs and it was especially loud during the first song!

The Pills I’m Taking section was definitely the highlight for me, everyone was going nuts and it just sounded incredible with the lights as well.

Thanks for the review.
I am shocked that Steven Wilson is still playing at unsafe decibel levels. When I saw his Hand Cannot Erase tour I loved the music but my ears were hurting. Probably contributed to my hearing issues.
I love loud music but we have been aware of its harm to hearing for a long time.
I guess he doesn't care.
95dBA is actually fairly quiet for an amplified theater/arena/stadium/amphitheater show. Heck, even a jazz show with unamplified horns and drums in a small club would be louder. Always bring hearing protection, even to symphonies and operas. It's not realistic to expect lower levels.

Last edited:
95dBA is actually fairly quiet for an amplified theater/arena/stadium/amphitheater show. Heck, even a jazz show with unamplified horns and drums in a small club would be louder. Always bring hearing protection, even to symphonies and operas. It's not realistic to expect lower levels.
Agreed. You are of course assuming that the " SPL Meter" in an Apple watch is any where close to the accuracy required for such a measurement.

I saw them in Montréal (or rather Laval, a suburb or Montréal) last week. It was a small arena show (4000 attendees) instead of a big theater/music venue (the largest in Montréal is Place des Arts where I saw SW in 2018 and is 3000 places). From where I was seated (bottom corner), the show was loud and muddy, even with good earplugs. I didn't hear one not from Nate Navarro, only muddy rumble. People on the floor near the front said the sound was good. The sound really diminished my ability to enjoy the show even if I liked the music.

Saw the band last night in DC and after three hours of bombtracks I could barely walk. They are really giving fans everything we could ask for and seem to be having fun on their victory lap. If there is any way you can get to a show, GET TO A SHOW. Sound at the Anthem DC was really exceptional. This was a relief and a joy as that was painfully not the case last time I saw a Steven Wilson solo show.

From the pounding opener of Blackest Eyes to the close with an extended version of Trains they played so many great songs and played them so damn well. Even a full Anesthetize with all the bombastic brilliance you'd want.

Steven was fun in his banter with the audience and from what I heard from a guy who'd been to the NYC & Philly shows, the DC crowd was the liveliest. Whatever it was, they played their asses off. And I enjoyed every second.

To make sure this is relevant for the forum, they do seem primed to film one of the shows. Which will give us one last look in stunning surround at a magnificent rock machine.

Attachments

• Porcupine Tree Show.jpeg
    Porcupine Tree Show.jpeg
    937.6 KB · Views: 0
Back