Tidal vs Apple

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

key_wiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I’m seeing a lot of tracks people are listing here that are available on Apple but I can’t find on Tidal. Is the consensus that Apple is better/has more catalog in Atmos?

I’m not opposed to switching if it’s that much better although that would mean needing to get the Apple TV box as it doesn’t seem the music streams in MC otherwise

I’m not opposed to switching if it’s that much better although that would mean needing to get the Apple TV box as it doesn’t seem the music streams in MC otherwise

I was under the impression you needed an AppleTV as well but I’ve just recently gotten at least 5.1 to work over HDMI on my MacBook Pro running the latest MacOS (Monterey, I think?).

I was under the impression you needed an AppleTV as well but I’ve just recently gotten at least 5.1 to work over HDMI on my MacBook Pro running the latest MacOS (Monterey, I think?).
Well, I don’t have a MacBook. But if I could get 5.1 with my iPhone or iPad and stream it to my receiver that’d awesome but I’ve never heard that is possible.

Well, I don’t have a MacBook. But if I could get 5.1 with my iPhone or iPad and stream it to my receiver that’d awesome but I’ve never heard that is possible.
Yeah I don’t think that’s possible unfortunately. Someone else who has both services will have to weigh in on which one is “better”. All I can say is I’ve had a subscription to Apple Music for a few weeks now (longtime Spotify user) and have been using it almost daily strictly for the multichannel streaming. There’s always new Atmos content popping up for you to dig into.

I still have both. At work I listen to Tidal in stereo only.
At home it is 100% Apple 4K, music in 5.1 and Dolby Atmos is easier to find. I do have Tidal as one of my apps with the Apple 4K. The Apple 4K is music, movies, all apps, etc. For me it is a no brainer, Apple 4K box at home all the way. The Netflix app can have some Dolby Atmos issues, (sputtering) once in awhile, but all the other apps, Disney, HBO Max, etc have no problems. I just today watched two episodes of Obi Won Kanobi in Dolby Atmos and came thru in the heights excellent.
When listening to Dolby Atmos in either Tidal or Apple Music some songs are weak in the heights, but pretty much always good in 5.1.
I strongly advise, ditching the Amazon Fire Cube or Stick, getting the Apple 4K box with Apple Music, and 2nd, if you want, like me, get the Tidal app also, but if I didn't listen to Tidal at work I would probably ditch the Tidal app.
You can use the Apple Music app on your phone, little easier to thumb thru music you might like, put it in your library and when you get home, it's all there.
Apple Music is better than Tidal to answer the question.

I’m a little perplexed!
Perhaps someone can explain to me the difference between Tidal and Apple Music?

specifically why Tidal has some albums that are master quality whilst Apple has Lossless.

For example, if we take the George Michael albums. They’re now all on Apple Music in Atmos but in Lossless.
Whereas on Tidal only Faith is Atmos. The rest in Master format.
does this mean Faith on Tidal is Master Atmos?

And why only the one album in Atmos on Tidal when the mixes are now available!

I’m very confused by it all.

Earlier on this thread:
George Michael x 5 Atmos now on Tidal:
Title -- Tidal ID
Older 233817725
Faith 233817844
Listen Without Prejudice 233806998
Symphonica 233822956
Songs from the Last Century 233817908

I’m a little perplexed!
Perhaps someone can explain to me the difference between Tidal and Apple Music?

specifically why Tidal has some albums that are master quality whilst Apple has Lossless.

For example, if we take the George Michael albums. They’re now all on Apple Music in Atmos but in Lossless.
Whereas on Tidal only Faith is Atmos. The rest in Master format.
does this mean Faith on Tidal is Master Atmos?

I’m very confused by it all.
As it pertains to stereo, basically a difference in nomenclature, but could be slight variances, people will argue the sound quality for eons. It is Apple's lossless ALAC codec versus Tidal's MQA codec. Atmos is is a separate codec from ALAC or MQA and it currently is not lossless, they use DD+ as does Tidal.

Apple Music-
When you listen in stereo it is lossless. Lossless compression is a form of compression that preserves all of the original data. From Apple's website: "Apple has developed its own lossless audio compression technology called Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC). In addition to AAC, the entire Apple Music catalog is now also encoded using ALAC in resolutions ranging from 16-bit/44.1 kHz (CD Quality) up to 24-bit/192 kHz."

Tidal-
Tidal Masters uses MQA technology for the stereo version, from Tidal's website: "HiFi audio is a superior sound but is still limited in its resolution—44.1 kHz /16 bit. TIDAL has partnered with MQA to deliver something substantially better: an authenticated and unbroken version (typically 96 kHz / 24 bit) with the highest possible resolution—as flawless as it sounded in the mastering suite. And exactly as the artist intended it to sound. Original master recordings - authenticated by the record label or artist themselves. Unrivaled quality, clarity and depth delivering all file sizes (up to 24 bit / 352kHz), using no more bandwidth than a CD quality (16 bit / 44.1kHZ) file (up to 9216 Kbps or 24 bit / 192 kHz)."

Caveat with Tidal Masters - you need a DAC that can decode MQA to get the "full" MQA quality: "While TIDAL on iOS and Android can unfold part of the audio source natively, allowing for an enhanced listening experience by default, using a DAC will unlock its full potential and give you optimal performance."

For Atmos on Tidal: "Immersive Audio - Allows sounds to be precisely and spatially placed. We are the only service to support both 360 Reality Audio and Dolby Atmos on mobile devices."

As it pertains to stereo, basically a difference in nomenclature, but could be slight variances, people will argue the sound quality for eons. It is Apple's lossless ALAC codec versus Tidal's MQA codec. Atmos is is a separate codec from ALAC or MQA and it currently is not lossless, they use DD+ as does Tidal.

Apple Music-
When you listen in stereo it is lossless. Lossless compression is a form of compression that preserves all of the original data. From Apple's website: "Apple has developed its own lossless audio compression technology called Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC). In addition to AAC, the entire Apple Music catalog is now also encoded using ALAC in resolutions ranging from 16-bit/44.1 kHz (CD Quality) up to 24-bit/192 kHz."

Tidal-
Tidal Masters uses MQA technology for the stereo version, from Tidal's website: "HiFi audio is a superior sound but is still limited in its resolution—44.1 kHz /16 bit. TIDAL has partnered with MQA to deliver something substantially better: an authenticated and unbroken version (typically 96 kHz / 24 bit) with the highest possible resolution—as flawless as it sounded in the mastering suite. And exactly as the artist intended it to sound. Original master recordings - authenticated by the record label or artist themselves. Unrivaled quality, clarity and depth delivering all file sizes (up to 24 bit / 352kHz), using no more bandwidth than a CD quality (16 bit / 44.1kHZ) file (up to 9216 Kbps or 24 bit / 192 kHz)."

Caveat with Tidal Masters - you need a DAC that can decode MQA to get the "full" MQA quality: "While TIDAL on iOS and Android can unfold part of the audio source natively, allowing for an enhanced listening experience by default, using a DAC will unlock its full potential and give you optimal performance."

For Atmos on Tidal: "Immersive Audio - Allows sounds to be precisely and spatially placed. We are the only service to support both 360 Reality Audio and Dolby Atmos on mobile devices."
I was going to explain but your explanation is perfect and definitive. Eric, I hope everyone reads your definition.

Apple Music-

Tidal-

This is super helpful. Thank you.

Back