Beatles Revolver Box Set (Dolby Atmos Mix available for streaming; No Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The LP-sized 100-page book is worthless?
I count it as half the value of the set, surely $50.
Different strokes.

Lossless streaming in CD-quality stereo for subscribers, or the reasonable 2-CD version.
Something for everybody.

I really don't care about those books at all. I'm about to run out of box shelf space and I will soon start throwing out boxes along with the books. I'll start with the the Kraftwerk Catalogue. The four discs come in a nice bluray-shelf sized package that already been divorced from it's larger container that takes up oodles of box shelf space. I have the White Album and Abbey Road and those might be the last to go. But everything I especially value resides on my hard drive.

Streaming may be for you!
Yeah, I don't think there are any platforms here. For example, Tidal isn't a thing in Japan...Even 5.1 isn't such a big thing. Homes are small, walls are thin.

Funny story, though: A few years back when I went to AKIHABARA Yodabashi (mega big electronics store in Tokyo) to drop some serious coin on a full 5.1 system, and the sales guy said, "Ah, why do you want to invest in such a big system? It will be all streaming in the future..." Yeow!!o_O His comission could have gone up in smoke.

I'm old (haha)...I'm still so analogue when it comes to music. But who knows? Maybe I'll jump on board the streaming train in the future.

Last edited:
"But I think what we're gonna do, since the kick-back--and I've had a lot of kick-back, and people writing angry letters towards me, even though I had nothing to do with it--I think we'll just release--at some point we'll probably release a high-res Blu-Ray...for the fans."
One can hope! I'm really such a Fabs tragic that I'll probably already have most of the outtakes (?) but buy the box anyway :)() and whinge about it the whole time (before, during and after). I wonder how the mono (sacrilege here I know!) dub will compare to the 2009 release and wonder if it is better (subjectively)?

One can hope! I'm really such a Fabs tragic that I'll probably already have most of the outtakes (?) but buy the box anyway :)() and whinge about it the whole time (before, during and after). I wonder how the mono (sacrilege here I know!) dub will compare to the 2009 release and wonder if it is better (subjectively)?
I’m interested in the new mono transfer as well. Did we ever come to a conclusion as to which mono disc was better for Sgt. Pepper? The one included in the Super Deluxe was supposedly a flat transfer of the mono master, although the 2009 mono’s were pretty flat to begin with, not to mention mastered very lightly, in contrast to the heavier EQ’ing of the 2009 stereo box.

Andrew of Parlogram Auctions prefers vinyl but has rated the CDs in the second video according to his opinion with some reasons.
He does mention, that he "never liked any of the Revolver stereo mixes".
He also does not mention at all, the 2014 American album box set. I picked up that box, at Half Price books along with the Beatles in Mono. What luck! (they price stuff to move it.) I have added a copy of the 2009 Magical Mystery Tour cd to the American set since that was originally an American only album. (I may just slip a copy of the 87 cd in there)
Interestingly for everything from Sgt. Pepper onward he prefers the original 1987-88 cd releases. In that group he prefers the Abbey Road release from Japan. (The black triangle disc. Anybody got that one??? It seems to go for a lot of money on fleabay. 3-500 dollars on ebay and 500 to 1000 in Japan according to an audiophile friend of mine)
In addition to not mentioning the 2014 American box set he also doesn't mention any of the big 50th anniversary boxes. He probably should update that video a bit. It's dated Aug. 21, 2021. So almost all the box sets were already out.

Last edited:

Andrew of Parlogram Auctions prefers vinyl but has rated the CDs in the second video according to his opinion with some reasons.
He does mention, that he "never liked any of the Revolver stereo mixes".
He also does not mention at all, the 2014 American album box set. I picked up that box, at Half Price books along with the Beatles in Mono. What luck! (they price stuff to move it.) I have added a copy of the 2009 Magical Mystery Tour cd to the American set since that was originally an American only album.
Interestingly for everything from Sgt. Pepper onward he prefers the original 1987-88 cd releases. In that group he prefers the Abbey Road release from Japan. (The black triangle disc. Anybody got that one??? It seems to go for a lot of money on fleabay.)
In addition to not mentioning the 2014 American box set he also doesn't mention any of the big 50th anniversary boxes. He probably should update that video a bit. It's dated Aug. 21, 2021. So almost all the box sets were already out.

Thanks for the videos (so far only watched the top one.) I liked this guy’s style, but if I understand correctly what he’s saying here, doesn’t sound like he’s giving Atmos a fair shake. First he mentions you need 2-4 height speakers for a multichannel Atmos setup. It’s actually designed for any speaker setup with on the fly meta data object oriented placement to your system.
Then he judges all the Beatles 1 Atmos mixes from Apple Spatial Atmos on earbuds 🤦‍♂️
However, I didn’t know (or remember?) that the Beatles 1 was out in Atmos. For folks here with 5.1 or more “speaker” Atmos setup, how does The Beatles 1 sound?
Hope I’m not all wet about this, ‘cause it’s early here-LOL

Thanks for the videos (so far only watched the top one.) I liked this guy’s style, but if I understand correctly what he’s saying here, doesn’t sound like he’s giving Atmos a fair shake. First he mentions you need 2-4 height speakers for a multichannel Atmos setup. It’s actually designed for any speaker setup with on the fly meta data object oriented placement to your system.
Then he judges all the Beatles 1 Atmos mixes from Apple Spatial Atmos on earbuds 🤦‍♂️
However, I didn’t know (or remember?) that the Beatles 1 was out in Atmos. For folks here with 5.1 or more “speaker” Atmos setup, how does The Beatles 1 sound?
The Beatles 1 in ATMOS sounds very good. The bass and drums probably benefit the most, given one further insight on how well Paul and Ringo locked in. The multi channel mix also frees up a ton of sonic space, letting you here details in the instrumental parts and vocals not there in the original mixes. Those that believe surround mixes must have tons of discrete elements will be disappointed however. They just don’t do that with Beatles music. I think the reason is that it would change the fundamental sound and character of the songs. I’m ok with that.

The Beatles 1 in ATMOS sounds very good. The bass and drums probably benefit the most, given one further insight on how well Paul and Ringo locked in. The multi channel mix also frees up a ton of sonic space, letting you here details in the instrumental parts and vocals not there in the original mixes. Those that believe surround mixes must have tons of discrete elements will be disappointed however. They just don’t do that with Beatles music. I think the reason is that it would change the fundamental sound and character of the songs. I’m ok with that.
Nice to hear that you like it. Digging out the details is probably the best reason for converting these to multichannel.

Besides not wanting to change the fundamental sound and character of the songs, there isn't all that much to work with on the early material. I know this from making my own multi-channel mixes of the stuff, but there are definitely little things that can be done to make the presentation more enjoyable.

He actually distinguishes between Apple (not Beatles AppleCorp) Spatial Audio , which he is not crazy about and Dolby Atmos , which "he would like to hear on a big system" which he does not have. He has stereo according to most of his videos. He was a Beatles fan from the get go starting as a young boy. But he mainly collects and traffics in vinyl. I like the CD video very well.

I notice that on the streaming tracks he shows and talks about they come from a variety of vintages and sources. Probably some of them are 5.1 files from elsewhere.

I remain suspicious of Atmos fabricated from 50 year old original tapes. And doubly suspicious of streaming only files which were very likely to have been done as batch files.

Last edited:
Interesting. Giles states that the only song where they didn’t need to demix was Eleanor Rigby because they had multiple 4 track tapes for all of the elements. So we were spoiled by ER appearing on the Love album.
I’m guessing they’ll have fixed the ADT issue on the original stereo mix, I don’t see why not as it was fixed for the 2015 remix.

New member.
I too am disappointed by the absence of a BD in the deluxe CD box. There's a lot of waste here between a dedicated CD for the mono mix (which could've gone on a BD like they did with the White Album box set) and a dedicated CD for the PbW/Rain single (which could've been put on any one of the other three CDs) that could've been eliminated to offset the cost of including a BD with a hi-res mix, mono mix and surround mix.
But here's a thought. Perhaps the reason we're not getting a BD is because the 5.1/Atmos is a "work in progress." That Giles isn't quite yet satisfied with the Peter Jackson technology to the point where he wants to lock in on a final mix. That we might get a digital release at the end of October, followed by periodic updates, a v1.1 mix, v1.2 mix, v2.0 mix, etc., until the tech is perfected to where the instrumentation separation is sufficiently artefact-free that Giles feels comfortable with a physical release.
Remember, this is fairly new technology. We've only heard one song, and the result is kind of middling. It's just a thought, but maybe the motive isn't as sinister as one much think. That said, yeah, I'm still pissed there's no BD, and I'm going strictly vinyl come release day.

To quote Tommy DeVito: “Always the dollars. Always the f**king dollars”. I wish it was for “pure” or “idealistic” reasons but that decision was either to make more or save more money. Ironically, because of the outrage they may, perhaps, end up making more money should they put out a BD for the atmos versions.

Maybe this will lead to BD releases for all previous surround mixes.

I wouldn't question Yellow Submarine , decent 5.1 mixes are already out.

Yes I know that it was released as a 4 or 6 song EP by Parlophone in the UK in 67 , but they eventually saw the error of their ways , and did a double take....as in 1976 Parlophone followed Capitol Records U. S. A./Canada ( that would be their target $$$ market btw) and released the complete album with the B sides as Capitol did back in 67.
And to this day that complete MMT is the New Official release on both sides of the Atlantic...or World Wide for that matter.

And although we have Penny Lane & Strawberry Fields on Sgt Pepper , now that's never stopped the O'Kell/Martin team at Abbey Road from releasing additional surround remixes of the same material.
Consider the songs fr Love and Anthology as prime examples . I might even add the #1 album in that scenario.

But to say because of that original release only being 4 tunes and Capitol had but B sides plus the original that that should be the norm? And that MMT bluray already exists so that should suffice ?..with songs of that inferior film soundtrack , and not the far better Studio versions . Well I believe true Beatles fans can't accept that .

In my opinion I would consider that MMT should and must be released in that now defacto full album.
To completely overlook it does a great injustice to any and all Beatle fans .

Nuff said,

Fizzy
I feel like this was reported and discussed earlier, but I can't find it with a casual search, and it popped up again this morning in an email from UMe, so:
https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/products/the-beatles-magical-mystery-tour-deluxe-edition-dvd-blu-rayI'm confused: is this just a reissue of the 2012 BD/DVD/EPx2 box set? And why now?

I feel like this was reported and discussed earlier, but I can't find it with a casual search, and it popped up again this morning in an email from UMe, so:
https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/products/the-beatles-magical-mystery-tour-deluxe-edition-dvd-blu-rayI'm confused: is this just a reissue of the 2012 BD/DVD/EPx2 box set? And why now?
It went out of print?
I don't see a listing on Discogs for the above box set.
Standalone blu ray on Amazon for $61.

Phony Beatlemania tie-in with the song on the Revolver box set?:unsure:🧐🇬🇧

Hey Folks I just saw this on the Beatles Web site. Your thoughts?

"Download and Streaming. Dolby Atmos Mixes + original mono mix accompany never-before-released session recordings and demos, plus the “Paperback Writer” and “Rain” EP".

Can this be Downloaded?
Dunno, but this Giles Martin interview popped up.
Says he's been in New York for the launch promotion.

They built him a "great big Atmos immersive room" so he can do playbacks to 30 people at a time.

Hey Folks I just saw this on the Beatles Web site. Your thoughts?

"Download and Streaming. Dolby Atmos Mixes + original mono mix accompany never-before-released session recordings and demos, plus the “Paperback Writer” and “Rain” EP".

Can this be Downloaded?
I mean… Apple Music let’s you download music for offline use on iOS/iPadOS/MacOS.

Could be that.

Or it could be a download site, like those codes you get with vinyl records. I guess we’ll see…

Back