Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But isn't this Billy Idol EP new songs? Why upmix them?
The same reason corners get cut in any job/profession...
1. because its easier, less time/money/effort
2. because they can get away with it

It just seems like a lot of this stuff is destined to be consumed by gullible people who don't appreciate it and aren't knowledgeable enough about it while they listen with their earbuds and proclaim how great it is simply because its the newest thing.

Last edited:

I just seems like a lot of this stuff is destined to be consumed by gullible people who don't appreciate it and aren't knowledgeable enough about it while they listen with their earbuds and proclaim how great it is simply because its the newest thing.
i think you're right..

but it still hurts...

..not least because having spent the last 25 years pursuing the best discrete Surround Sound i could achieve (on a budget and within other limitations!), i find it very depressing that people could be happy listening to fake Surround on earbuds..!! 🤦‍♀️

It just seems like a lot of this stuff is destined to be consumed by gullible people who don't appreciate it and aren't knowledgeable enough about it while they listen with their earbuds and proclaim how great it is simply because its the newest thing.

Anybody manage to get this to play in Atmos? Seems like it might be good, but I can only get stereo out it, even though it's labeled Atmos. Wonder if something went wrong when they were preparing the files for Apple Spatial Audio.

Title track only. I think this has been on Tidal for a while, but not Apple? Not Warners fake Atmos--it's an active mix--but also not the original album version:

Correct, it is one of those borked tracks on Apple. If you play in stereo you get the 6:23 original version of Big Science. If you play it in Dolby Atmos you get an Atmos version of Big Science 2 which is only 3:37.

Huh. Yeah, the display says Atmos, but for me it's only playing in stereo. I've removed it from my library and added it fresh--same thing. No problems with other albums. Weird.

I didn't actually listen to the rear speakers, etc. Just that it showed the Atmos symbol when playing on my Mac. Could be 2 channels encoded into Atmos.

First taste of a new remaster from the analogue stereo masters. The Atmos mix is "derived," using techniques that sound similar to Rideau & Genewick's approach to Kind of Blue, etc.

Title track only. I think this has been on Tidal for a while, but not Apple? Not Warners fake Atmos--it's an active mix--but also not the original album version:

Wow.....that's a cruel tease! Letting us hear what Laurie could sound like in surround but only giving us one song. 🤯 That one song sounds great though. Seems odd though to only do a mix for a bonus track. Especially when her most famous song ("O Superman") is on the album.

Wow.....that's a cruel tease! Letting us hear what Laurie could sound like in surround but only giving us one song. 🤯 That one song sounds great though. Seems odd though to only do a mix for a bonus track. Especially when her most famous song ("O Superman") is on the album.
an even bigger tease, the Atmos of that track isn't available in the UK! 😭🤦‍♀️

Anybody manage to get this to play in Atmos? Seems like it might be good, but I can only get stereo out it, even though it's labeled Atmos. Wonder if something went wrong when they were preparing the files for Apple Spatial Audio.
there's two versions labelled Atmos in the UK and neither of them do diddly squat of a Surround nature! 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back