Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the CD in question.....

16636395190731111831145760042574.jpg
1663639589612800134038974173345.jpg
16636396167804287562185646415221.jpg

That's cool! Good to finally see the article!

I can't remember where we were talking about that, was it in this thread or another?

That 2019 CD has been processed a lot: to get rid of background noise & improve the sonics, based on an original sealed LP copy. It sounds amazing!!

I suspect any phase related matrix encoding may not have survived the process though? But who knows. It's great to listen to, and an historical document of sorts!

I might have missed it ( it's a long thread ) but as mentioned on another thread

Miles Davies - Bitches Brew, Columbia Legacy C2K 65774

In spite of an apparent bright new re-mix, this is loud and clear SQ and took me by complete surprise when I played through the SQD2020. All jolly good fun.

That's cool! Good to finally see the article!

I can't remember where we were talking about that, was it in this thread or another?

That 2019 CD has been processed a lot: to get rid of background noise & improve the sonics, based on an original sealed LP copy. It sounds amazing!!

I suspect any phase related matrix encoding may not have survived the process though? But who knows. It's great to listen to, and an historical document of sorts!

Yeah I suppose if you have the vinyl LP , that would be primo !
Mr. Marshall mentions that he recorded in discreet reel some of their live performances prior to encoding . Maybe one day , or maybe you could put a bug in their ear , to see if they are going to release any of the 1977 - 78 performances , 79 possibly as well.

BTW does your vinyl album list him as recording engineer ? Or is it much like the CD , sans information.

A Delos classical music title also used microphone placement based matrix surround sound encoding and was allowed to use the official Dolby Surround logo even though a Dolby Surround encoder wasn't used, the recording was apparently just monitored thru a Dolby Surround decoder (in order to get a reasonable surround effect).

(too bad the major record companies can't be convinced to monitor their current stereo recordings [popular and classical] thru a simple no logic "decoder" [maybe DynaQuad] and provide at least some surround sound content [which could be extracted with a Dolby Surround decoder])

Kirk Bayne

Yeah I suppose if you have the vinyl LP , that would be primo !
Mr. Marshall mentions that he recorded in discreet reel some of their live performances prior to encoding . Maybe one day , or maybe you could put a bug in their ear , to see if they are going to release any of the 1977 - 78 performances , 79 possibly as well.

BTW does your vinyl album list him as recording engineer ? Or is it much like the CD , sans information.
Oh, I don't have a copy of the LP. Just the CD. The band tracked down a sealed LP, as source material for that CD.

All the CEE masters & multitracks were lost in a fire, so it's doubtful anything new will be released of old material.

:(

Oh, I don't have a copy of the LP. Just the CD. The band tracked down a sealed LP, as source material for that CD.

All the CEE masters & multitracks were lost in a fire, so it's doubtful anything new will be released of old material.

:(

Oh OK, I misunderstood your post . So you and I have the CD , anyways.

Who says CD is probably not the leading format in demand..........not me !

Another cd combo arrived in the mail today . This time a twofer of Thijs Van Leer Introspection 1 and 2.
Both were available in SQ quad back in the day....but only Introspection 2 was a single inventory SQ album .
(#1 was a dual inventory.) A "stupid narrow minded" decision by CBS Columbia Masterworks who promoted(?) quad stereo compatibility.)

So in SQ quad ...Introspection II on 💿 cd.

I finally got round to playing this BGO Thijs Van Leer 2-fer CD re-release today through the good old SM2, and Introspection I & II decode very well, so I think both are SQ.

I got this on an email, GENESIS - The Legendary Lamb FM Broadcast

View attachment 83669
Genesis were recorded by the BBC for this show and it was released as an SQ LP for syndication, going by this from http://www.eclipse67.com/bbci.htm

View attachment 83670

I'm going to purchase it.

Could it be SQ encoded?
I listened to this today with the SM2 in 4.0 SQ mode, and I sort of convinced myself that a lot of the tracks are Quad, it sounded immersive (which is how I have heard the Matrix H decode with the SM2 in Involve/QS mode). But sometimes it seemed way too rear centric, at times it felt the rears should be the fronts. On a few tracks Peter Gabriel was only in the rear left which doesn't seem right (they were also the poor sound quality tracks). I also think that not all tracks come from the same source, a few had a lot of hiss. All in all it sounded good through the SM2. So at the low price worth a punt.

I received some Cosmic Couriers in the mail the other day.

Both are remastered at Dieter Dierks Studio at Pulheim-Stommeln,(his original quad studio fwiw) January 2021, with more releases on the way this January 2023.
So they should still be SQ encoded as they were Single Inventory releases .

These Cosmic Courier Samplers were on the OHR/Metronome label back in the 70's.... and really displayed a good to very good quad mix for the most part., with lots of studio wizardry courtesy Mr Dierks.
So for me (and anyone else into SQ matrix) they are highly collectable .
Galactic Supermarket, and The Cosmic Jokers , with Manuel Gottshing and Klaus Schulze plus others in the Cosmic Courier Club of artists.

☺️
20221202_212843.jpg
20221202_212916.jpg

Copies are available on Discogs. I just wish that the CD release would state "Quadraphonic" or "Quadrophonic" on the label. As a single inventory stereo release the encoding should be intact. I hope that it is not a victim of the loudness wars, if so it's not worth having IMHO. In my experience European releases often seem to be OK.

Looking at the Discogs release page there was a spanish LP release, it states "Cuadrafonic" on the label!

I don't have "Electric Silence" in my collection so will have to get the LP or the CD. Original LP's are listed in the $200 range!

Last edited:
FWIW I went to groovesland , out of Berlin , for my releases.

And there are 2 more SQ Samplers from the Cosmic Couriers crowd upcoming in the new year.

They also have a large number of lps and cds by Popul Vuh , whom had probably 6 or more quad releases ,of which I only had 2 .

They had some Bellaphon Bacillus SQ albums back when , a couple I wanted but they state "being ordered" , meaning they're long gone.
Of those I hope they get a reissue in 23.

Back