Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondering if anyone has both Blu-Ray and SACD and compared them?
Debating if it is worth having both…🤔
I usually get both - the SACD mastrering tends to be soncially different than the DVD/A or BluRay mastering. and sometoimes more revealing.

At least that's been the case with my Dire Straits Brothers In Arms, DSOTM and WYWH surrond discs.

Roxy Music's exceptoinal Avalon record is only avaialbe in SACD, when it came out I bought an SACD player specifically to play it.

Then later, of course Oppo comes out with a player that does it all. Sold the Sony SACD player and bought more SACD discs with the money! ;-)

Is this what's challenging the subs?
Post # 2,137 in this 117-page thread.
Please do try to keep up. 🤯

79129-Animals-Remix-Pigs-Bass-Pedal.png

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...tions-out-in-september-2022.24798/post-649359

Yes, I know there is low frequency in the spectrum at big level. I also understand that this can compromise systems if they can reproduce that frequency and the system is not correctly setup, or there are room bass problems.

But, my question is about the concept of Fluttering Bass, that I don't know if I understand it. How is it perceived the Fluttering?

I got the fluttering on my system that has two very capable 15 inch subs, but not on my system that has two more modest (at least I thought so) 12 inch subs. I've listened to it only twice, but I'll check it out to see if the pattern continues.

One other variable I'll check is that I got the fluttering when listening to the uncompressed 5.1 but not when listening to the DTS-HDMA.
Okay, so I was wrong about several things:
  1. It's not a "fluttering;" it's more of a "rumbling."
  2. It happens on both of my systems.
  3. It happens on both modes.
It begins at approximately the 6:15 mark of the song and lasts for about a minute, coming and going. A lack of sound treatments in both rooms might be contributing to this, as might sub placement. It might also be that I'm just not used to music producing this type of sound from my subs, as opposed to, say, certain scenes in particular movies. It's not really distracting, just unexpected.

Just listened to the original stereo mix on the BD and it reminded me why I'm not a Pink Floyd completist: quite a lot of it isn't very good, and this album is one of them. There isn't a single good track on it for me. I'd rather listen to Atom Heart Mother. I like the Floyd that was toured live on "A Delicate Sound Of Thunder" and "Pulse"

ugh

Then they compound the error by describing the DTS HD-MA tracks as being the lossy tracks for playing over Toslink!

That's not an error, more like a lack of full description. Like all DTS implementations I can think of, DTS-HD MA contains a 'core' lossy version that gets transmitted via Toslink when that's what the consumer uses.

Of course, DTS-HD MA is also lossless for those who use HDMI.

I just played P(3DO) and it happens 5 times between 6:26 and 7:04. More specifically, 6:26 - 6:30, 6:33 - 6:38, 6:54 - 6:56, 6:58 - 7:00 and 7:02 - 7:04.
Okay, so I was wrong about several things:
  1. It's not a "fluttering;" it's more of a "rumbling."
  2. It happens on both of my systems.
  3. It happens on both modes.
It begins at approximately the 6:15 mark of the song and lasts for about a minute, coming and going.
OK. Now I understand.

It also happened to me. It was a "rumbling" that blurred the sound for moments, exactly in that times more or less.

I just lowered a bit the gain of the SUB, and the blurred sound disappeared and the bass was more acceptable.

But this has been in my summer house, normal-medium equipment, no room treatment. I will check when returning main house that has better equipment and some room treatment.

As I'm now starting with REW measurements and will try to smooth the crossover bass management curve, I will use this Animals P(3DO) as a test to check the audible differences. :)

The LFE channel really only kicks at the last section of Pigs. There’s plenty of bass in the L/R.

I disconnected my subwoofer a couple years ago (just not a fan of subs in music listening), and I agree with you - I'm still getting plenty of bass in the L/R. Based on what some people are saying about the LFE on this mix, I'm tempted to reconnect my sub to check it out, but again, I'm very happy with the bass response of this disc on my system!

Just listened to the original stereo mix on the BD and it reminded me why I'm not a Pink Floyd completist: quite a lot of it isn't very good, and this album is one of them. There isn't a single good track on it for me. I'd rather listen to Atom Heart Mother.
To each their own! If I made this exact statement, I would reverse the two. I'd rather listen to Animals (in 5.1) than Atom Heart Mother (in Quad).
You might like Meddle as an intermediate album between AHM and DSOTM, and a 5.1 mix is out there on the first edition REVERBER/ATION sets.

That's not an error, more like a lack of full description. Like all DTS implementations I can think of, DTS-HD MA contains a 'core' lossy version that gets transmitted via Toslink when that's what the consumer uses.

Of course, DTS-HD MA is also lossless for those who use HDMI.
DTS HD-MA is also lossless for those that decode it in their player and output it over multi channel analogue, as I do from my Oppo 95.

There doesn't appear to be a lot going on in the LFE, but it does increase substantially (relatively so) from about 6:15 to 7:15 in the song. It would be interesting to me to find out what frequencies are in the other channels at what levels, especially during that period of the song. It's my understanding that, because of bass management, lower frequencies are sent to my subs regardless of what channel they're in.

Pigs.JPG

I got my first listen to the new mix on BluRay today and WOW it sounds amazing! I know a lot has been posted about the 5.1 version (which is a wonderful new way to experience the album), so I just want to comment on how incredibly different the 2018 mix sounds from the original '77 version - tonally speaking. On my Oppo I can instantly switch between the three audio tracks while playing (5.1 / 2018 stereo / 1977 stereo). The difference is shocking 😲

Comparing the stereo mixes - First, I'll say that the original album I don't believe was ever hailed as a really fine mix. (At least to me, the sound of the album doesn't sound as good as the other major PF releases). But the 2018 mix really sounds like a modern release. It has so much more bass. (I never noticed the low bass pedals before.) It's bright and present without sounding harsh. I think it's kind of amazing what Guthrie achieved. I bet the 2018 mastering had a lot to do with this difference.
And I'm curious about those bass pedal tones mentioned a few times in this thread. I think the first bass tone appears toward the end of Dogs at the line 'And as the fear grows the bad blood slows and turns to STONE' - and the bass just sinks into my gut 😍. Is that the infamous Moog Taurus bass pedal? I couldn't find a mention of Rick using it on Wiki but it sure sounds like it.

I did happen to come across a cool Animals thread on Gear Space and someone posted some personal photos of the pig photo shoot at Battersea, which I thought was awesome!

Also I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but there's a fun little easter egg hiding within the 5.1 mix. If you isolate and normalize the centre channel to 0dB there are basic mono instrumental mixes of Dogs, Pigs (Three Different Ones and Sheep just waiting to be discovered. Highly recommend!
Hi there! How on earth did you access this mono material? I’d certainly like to hear it - but don’t know how to make it happen…

By ripping and processing in software.

You could disconnect all your speakers except the center and turn it up as loud as it will go.
If I'm understanding correctly.
WARNING!

The instruction as written may be hazardous to your equipment. I was taught that an amplifier should always have a load - this means that every channel of the amplifier should have a speaker or a resistor connected to it. To run an amp with the speaker outputs turned on, but with no load, might damage the amp. Can anyone else chime in with the electronics theory on this?

The correct way to do this, if you are using an amp with multichannel analog inputs, would be to disconnect the channel inputs to all but the center channel. The speakers would stay connected, but there would be no input signal other than the center. This would be safe for the amp.

The better option was the other suggestion - rip and boost, then probably duplicate the result to left and right mono.

I have always been a fan of listening to isolated channels of a multichannel mix. I also recommend checking the rears only of this mix. You can get a clearer idea of the surround intent by this method.

Also I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but there's a fun little easter egg hiding within the 5.1 mix. If you isolate and normalize the centre channel to 0dB there are basic mono instrumental mixes of Dogs, Pigs (Three Different Ones and Sheep just waiting to be discovered. Highly recommend!
Huh?? That is really odd that there's no vocals in the center channel. :unsure: I thought it was pretty much a given that 5.1 mixes used the center for vocals and some other lead stuff. Apparently not! 😄

Last edited:
Back