Ultravox - Rage In Eden (Steven Wilson remix out in September!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I'm not sure why these sellers have either said "Sorry, this item is no longer available" (bull moose); "Temporarily out of stock" (Amazon) or have differing release dates of
either 30-09-2022 & 12-02-2022.
Probably because the available date is in flux. There may not be a concrete date from suppliers, just an ETA.

I was playing around at jpc.de, adding releases to my cart to see what the cost would be to Illinois in the USA once the VAT is removed. When i added Rage in Eden (click on the title to take you to the jpd.de page) and saw it would make it to my front door for $47.99, i cancelled my amazon preorder (placed way back on 1 July) and went for it!

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying the new stereo mix thus far, if you know the material well there are some interesting surprises! Similar to Vienna, I'm finding it's punchier and drier than the dark-sounding original - Midge's choppy rhythm guitar is brighter and more prominent, just as I'd hoped. This mix is definitely a bit more 'analytical' than the original, individual parts seem to pop out more from the tapestry. "The Thin Wall" (my favorite track on the album) threw me off a bit on first listen, the balance of the ending section in particular is quite a bit different with the twin guitars highlighted over the synth and big echo-y backing vocals. The guitar in the left channel (playing the post-chorus melody) starting at around 4:13 and then again 5:30 is barely audible in the original mix! Also, the long echo after Midge screams 'the thin waaaaalll" at 1:40 then again around 3:00 appears to be missing entirely.

Amazon came good....just arrived at 6.05pm .

That's T20 cricket in the background from Pakistan, who are playing England.

Will give it a spin in a while.

Attachments

• 1664558480696167893065805300841.jpg
    1664558480696167893065805300841.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

From an interview with Midge Ure over at SDE.​

What do you think of Steven Wilson’s new mix of Rage In Eden?

He’s clarified things, and he’s also found aspects like guitar and keyboard parts that we’d left out of the mix for whatever reason. That can take a couple of listens to get your head around. At first, you think: “Am I comfortable with this? There was a reason we left this out in the first place.” But, all these years later, once you listen a couple of times, you think: “Well, why did I cut it out? It sounds great!”

Steven doesn’t take any direction from us at all, because there’s no point. We love what he does, and you wouldn’t tell a brilliant rally driver how to drive, so we leave him to it. We might then say: “That piano is a bit loud there” and it’ll get tweaked, but that’s it. It’s up to Steven, and he does a brilliant job.

I’ve never actually met Steven, and I can only presume he’s a fan, because I can’t imagine someone who isn’t a fan of another artist’s work to sit there for weeks and remix it. If he’s not a fan, it must be purgatory. I love Steven’s stuff, but I haven’t heard the 5.1 mix of Rage In Eden because I’ve got nothing to play it on. Even in my studio, I don’t have a 5.1 system.

Does it follow that Quartet, Lament and U-Vox will get the same deluxe treatment?

I’d hope so. I’d love to hear a fresh mix of Quartet and I hope U-Vox finally gets a proper sleeve, though we have no-one to blame for that except ourselves.
I hope Steven gets to do Lament, the title track is one of my favorites from them and sounds great through the Surround Master.

From an interview with Midge Ure over at SDE.​

What do you think of Steven Wilson’s new mix of Rage In Eden?

He’s clarified things, and he’s also found aspects like guitar and keyboard parts that we’d left out of the mix for whatever reason. That can take a couple of listens to get your head around. At first, you think: “Am I comfortable with this? There was a reason we left this out in the first place.” But, all these years later, once you listen a couple of times, you think: “Well, why did I cut it out? It sounds great!”

Steven doesn’t take any direction from us at all, because there’s no point. We love what he does, and you wouldn’t tell a brilliant rally driver how to drive, so we leave him to it. We might then say: “That piano is a bit loud there” and it’ll get tweaked, but that’s it. It’s up to Steven, and he does a brilliant job.

I’ve never actually met Steven, and I can only presume he’s a fan, because I can’t imagine someone who isn’t a fan of another artist’s work to sit there for weeks and remix it. If he’s not a fan, it must be purgatory. I love Steven’s stuff, but I haven’t heard the 5.1 mix of Rage In Eden because I’ve got nothing to play it on. Even in my studio, I don’t have a 5.1 system.
Maybe Dolby needs to host some special invite listening sessions for artists only so they can hear samples of what Atmos can do for their music. I don't think a lot of them really get it. Start out by playing some DR crushed stereo mixes of their albums and then play them the Atmos mix. If they still don't get it, then so be it but I bet a lot of them would have a different opinion afterwards.

The sweet spot needs to be saved for Nigel Godrich. :p

Well I'm not sure what's going on with Amazon US and their supply.
I preordered the set back when it first became available for preorder, but it's still not showing in stock or when it will be available, so I switched my order to Amazon UK, which means I will get it sometime in the month of October

:)

Amazon came good....just arrived at 6.05pm .

That's T20 cricket in the background from Pakistan, who are playing England.

Will give it a spin in a while.
I ordered through Ultravox Store, and they have handed the parcel over to Royal Mail who are on strike today and tomorrow so I probably won't see it until Monday.

Waiting for a few reviews before I pull the trigger....
Here's a quick one :

IT'S MIXED BY OUR ETERNAL , SURROUND MIXING BENEFACTOR...THE ONE AND ONLY, MR STEVEN WILSON.

I'M ONLY HALF WAY THROUGH AND I'M SITTING HERE, MOUTH OPEN, IN PURE WONDERMENT.

If you like early 80's synth, then this release will not disappoint.

It's a real shame that Midge can't hear this in surround.

I'm certainly very pleased , I can!!

Edit...I should add that I'm listening to the DTS 24/96 5.1 Surround Mix

Last edited:
Here's a quick one :

IT'S MIXED BY OUR ETERNAL , SURROUND MIXING BENEFACTOR...THE ONE AND ONLY, MR STEVEN WILSON.

I'M ONLY HALF WAY THROUGH AND I'M SITTING HERE, MOUTH OPEN, IN PURE WONDERMENT.

If you like early 80's synth, then this release will not disappoint.

It's a real shame that Midge can't hear this in surround.

I'm certainly very pleased , I can!!

Edit...I should add that I'm listening to the DTS 24/96 5.1 Surround Mix
Is it a DVD-V again, like in the Vienna box?

Back