HiRez Poll Bachman-Turner Overdrive - BACHMAN-TURNER OVERDRIVE I & II [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bachman-Turner Overdrive - BACHMAN-TURNER OVERDRIVE I & II

• Total voters
Really fun to have this set! BTO II was one my favorite albums as a 12-13 year old and I played it to death at the time. Was a big fan of the band and at some point went back and bought the first album to fill in my collection. But I dropped the band after “Freeways” and moved on musically and probably haven’t heard either of these albums in 45 years.

I actually didn’t think I had played the first album enough times to remember all the tracks now but I was surprised how much it came back to me!

For whatever reason, the first album sounds better. I think BTO II was probably always a bit muddy sounding. But it is the stronger album overall. I remember the jazzy bit at the end of “Welcome Home” being a must-learn for me on guitar. But BTO albums always had quite of bit of filler and throwaways on them.

“Let it Ride” is a classic I never tire of hearing. “Takin’ Care of Business” I would be fine never hearing again. Lol. But was really fun going back to these two albums from my youth.

The quad mix is really good throughout. The guitar pick-glides on “Blown” swirling around the room are fun!

Not sure how much it is one I will go back to again, but really glad to have it.

I give it a “7” overall.

I'm a both a big surround sound and big BTO fan.

However I can only (barely) give this one a 7. To my ears there's a "muffled" effect hanging over all the tracks. Not huge, but enough that I notice it. Call it a slight lack of clarity.

I compared it to a level-matched stereo CD copy and this is one of the very few times that I preferred stereo over surround (quad or otherwise).

Jeff

Sorry to revive a nearly dead link, but I'm seriously considering getting this and need to know a couple things.
1) How does the CD layer of this sound? Years ago, I chose to hold off from purchasing BTO II until it was properly remastered...and I still don't know if it's ever happened! If the CD layer is good, as well, I'm all in.
2) I'm pumped to hear these albums in 4.0, but I'm concerned about whether the disc will play properly on my unit. Last winter, I picked up The Doors Singles set that included the quad blu ray, but found that my Sony UBP-X800 wouldn't play the rear channels. Apparently, this player doesn't properly decode the information and/or adjust for the difference between 5.1/0 and 4.0 to configure the channels to play (it's beyond my technical understanding, so forgive my ignoranct rambling) and I haven't found a work around. The point is, will this also be an issue for an SACD?
Thanks for hearing me out! Any help or direction would be appreciated (even for how to get my Doors disc to play properly ✌).

Sorry to revive a nearly dead link, but I'm seriously considering getting this and need to know a couple things.
1) How does the CD layer of this sound? Years ago, I chose to hold off from purchasing BTO II until it was properly remastered...and I still don't know if it's ever happened! If the CD layer is good, as well, I'm all in.
2) I'm pumped to hear these albums in 4.0, but I'm concerned about whether the disc will play properly on my unit. Last winter, I picked up The Doors Singles set that included the quad blu ray, but found that my Sony UBP-X800 wouldn't play the rear channels. Apparently, this player doesn't properly decode the information and/or adjust for the difference between 5.1/0 and 4.0 to configure the channels to play (it's beyond my technical understanding, so forgive my ignoranct rambling) and I haven't found a work around. The point is, will this also be an issue for an SACD?
Thanks for hearing me out! Any help or direction would be appreciated (even for how to get my Doors disc to play properly ✌).
I have a Sony UBP-X800 and haven't had any problems playing the SACDs from Dutton-Vocalion. They are authored as 5.1 channel to avoid
any problems.

Man! Reading your post reminded me that i had the same problem with my Sony UBP-X800. I just spent the last hour or so trying to find the post that fixed it for me . . . and i did! I hope this works for you--it was a game changer for me! Thanks again to @RustyStatic
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...to-now-in-surround-volume-2.20127/post-550347As @efb18 notes in the post that follows, it was turning "BD Secondary Audio" ("BD Audio MIX Setting" on my unit) to "Off" that fixed things for me. Shows up on p. 22 of the manual:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4687/46873091M.pdf
Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Last edited:
that is why 4.0 Quad should be encoded in a 5.1 stream, to avoid these compatibility problems...

Don't be sorry for reviving old threads, I think that great. I can't comment on the CD layer because I've never played it. I would suspect that it is much better mastered than the CD release which is most likely "brickwalled".

As for not hearing the rear channels, with my Oppo players if I set it them up for front and back speakers I get no rear output from 4.0 discs. Rather unintuitively You have to set it it to front and side speakers. You would think the setup program would be smart enough to realise that, and to combine side and rear signals together but that would just make too much sence!

I strongly recommend the BTO DV SACD. The quad mix is fantastic. In the middle of the band with all very discrete channels equally active simultaneously, bombarding you from all directions! Once again a ten!

Man! Reading your post reminded me that i had the same problem with my Sony UBP-X800. I just spent the last hour or so trying to find the post that fixed it for me . . . and i did! I hope this works for you--it was a game changer for me! Thanks again to @RustyStatic
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...to-now-in-surround-volume-2.20127/post-550347As @efb18 notes in the post that follows, it was turning "BD Secondary Audio" ("BD Audio MIX Setting" on my unit) to "Off" that fixed things for me. Shows up on p. 22 of the manual:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4687/46873091M.pdf
Stay Surrounded, Comrade!
Clement, thank you for your time. research, and input! RustyStatic's response was SPOT ON! I made those changes to my 800, and I was immediately (and blissfully) listening to the Doors in Quad. It's been 10 months! 😄

I can't believe the kind of support you folks here are willing to give! Thank you to those who've contacted me and left helpful messages. It's truly astounding and humbling, and I plan to pass on this X800 fix to others on here and other platforms that I'm aware of.

Don't be sorry for reviving old threads, I think that great. I can't comment on the CD layer because I've never played it. I would suspect that it is much better mastered than the CD release which is most likely "brickwalled".

As for not hearing the rear channels, with my Oppo players if I set it them up for front and back speakers I get no rear output from 4.0 discs. Rather unintuitively You have to set it it to front and side speakers. You would think the setup program would be smart enough to realise that, and to combine side and rear signals together but that would just make too much sence!

I strongly recommend the BTO DV SACD. The quad mix is fantastic. In the middle of the band with all very discrete channels equally active simultaneously, bombarding you from all directions! Once again a ten!
Thank you, Par4ken! After reviews like yours, I took the plunge and ordered it from Dutton Vocalion. I'll be leaving a rating in the surround poll in...3-6 weeks. 🤨😄

So here we are, 2 weeks later, new name, new life! I saw, I bought, I listened, and I rated! This is my first DV purchase (a 2nd is on the way), and I'm pretty WOWED. My rating turned out to be with the majority, an 8. It lost points because I didn't care much for BTO I overall, and side 2 of BTO II, while listenable, is weaker musically than side 1. The whole disc still rates high because 1) the Red Book and SACD stereo layers are the best that I've EVER heard these songs, and 2) the quad mixes revealed so many great layers of music at which the stereo version could only hint. Granted, my only previous copy of BTO II was a very beat up vinyl, but I listened to it intently and repeatedly as a teen, and thought I knew it pretty well. What did I know?

I could write a few paragraphs on discovering just how adept and versatile a player I discovered Randy Bachman to be, and how Norman Durkee's piano, finally revealed, took TCOB to it's full glory, but I'll just leave it at this:
1) Best Red Book layer of these album's songs I've heard, including Mercury remasters.
2) Good sounding SACD layer for both stereo and quad.
3) Murky at times, and the vocals seem slightly recessed overall, but a good representation of these albums as they were recorded, and a quad mix that reveals much more than I expected.

Glad I bought it! Thanks for the input, everyone! 😁👍

Just a couple of quick comments: The fidelity and mix on this disc are wonderful. The BTO II album doesn't have the "grizzle" that was evident on my stereo LP copy; and the quad mix is adventurous. Although there are a couple of songs that I still don't care for, the fidelity and mix brings what I had considered the middle-of-the-road songs to a higher level. Of course, the best songs really flourish in quad.

I should have gotten this one sooner. 9

Just have to mention that if you like BTO you should checkout Randy's previous group "Brave Belt". Very underrated IMHO the first album is more folk/country flavoured rock largely due the influence of the"Guess Who's" founder Chad Allen. The second album is more like BTO, Chad left the band leaving the harder rockers behind, Brave Belt III was released as "Bachman-Turner Overdrive".

I was always a big "Brave Belt" fan, not so much BTO until the Quads came out!

https://www.discogs.com/artist/977953-Brave-Belt

Just have to mention that if you like BTO you should checkout Randy's previous group "Brave Belt". Very underrated IMHO the first album is more folk/country flavoured rock largely due the influence of the"Guess Who's" founder Chad Allen. The second album is more like BTO, Chad left the band leaving the harder rockers behind, Brave Belt III was released as "Bachman-Turner Overdrive".

https://www.discogs.com/artist/977953-Brave-Belt

From what I have seen, the underrated Canadian acts / albums tend to be very underrated. Allmusic's rating of The Guess Who's post American Woman albums has made the site lose all credibility with me.

Yes, the quads are a revelation.

Back