Surround issues from Pink Floyd Animals blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muppet69

QQ Supporter
I finally got around to listening to the Bluray in 5.1 first with DTS and it seemed like my right rear speaker wasn’t working properly for the most part. I went to the setup menus and tried out the pink noise and speaker ID’s and read the info about setup’s and that the analogue inputs are closest to the studio experience. Then I switched my Amp to Ext-in using the analog inputs only for the 6 channels and bingo, miles better. What an improvement from the original version…. except for the psalm in Sheep, me no likey. Packaging is cheap and nasty but on the whole it’s great. I’m going to try out the new stereo version against the original 1977 one. Nice that it’s finally in our grubby mitts!

I finally got around to listening to the Bluray in 5.1 first with DTS and it seemed like my right rear speaker wasn’t working properly for the most part. I went to the setup menus and tried out the pink noise and speaker ID’s and read the info about setup’s and that the analogue inputs are closest to the studio experience. Then I switched my Amp to Ext-in using the analog inputs only for the 6 channels and bingo, miles better. What an improvement from the original version…. except for the psalm in Sheep, me no likey. Packaging is cheap and nasty but on the whole it’s great. I’m going to try out the new stereo version against the original 1977 one. Nice that it’s finally in our grubby mitts!
Were you listening to core DTS over optical or coax? I which case I can understand this. But if you were listening to DTS HD-MA over HDMI then it should sound exactly the same. Either that or you prefer the multi channel DACs in your player to the DACs in your AVR.

Were you listening to core DTS over optical or coax? I which case I can understand this. But if you were listening to DTS HD-MA over HDMI then it should sound exactly the same. Either that or you prefer the multi channel DACs in your player to the DACs in your AVR.
Optical DTS as I don’t have HDMI on my Denon receiver.

Optical DTS as I don’t have HDMI on my Denon receiver.
OK so you're comparing lossy DTS core (could be 24/96 if your receiver can decode it, otherwise I believe core is 20/48) against lossless LPCM 24/192. Let's leave aside the higher bit depths and sampling rate since the lowest is 20/48 and that's more than enough to fully represent stuff recorded in the 1970s. The issue here is lossy versus lossless, and while DTS core can sound very good I also have some that sound distinctly so-so. It's entirely possible there's a genuine difference the way you are doing the comparison.

OK so you're comparing lossy DTS core (could be 24/96 if your receiver can decode it, otherwise I believe core is 20/48) against lossless LPCM 24/192. Let's leave aside the higher bit depths and sampling rate since the lowest is 20/48 and that's more than enough to fully represent stuff recorded in the 1970s. The issue here is lossy versus lossless, and while DTS core can sound very good I also have some that sound distinctly so-so. It's entirely possible there's a genuine difference the way you are doing the comparison.
Sorry I forgot about stating that I use my analog cables from my Oppo 203 into my Denon using the Ext In connections which bypass (if I’m understanding it correctly) decoders so it just a pure signal for the highest lossless result.

Sorry I forgot about stating that I use my analog cables from my Oppo 203 into my Denon using the Ext In connections which bypass (if I’m understanding it correctly) decoders so it just a pure signal for the highest lossless result.
You have an Oppo 203. It has a built in lossless DTS HD-MA decoder to multi channel. So you could also compare the LPCM via the analogue outs with the decoded DTS HD-MA via the same analogue outs.

As I said earlier, this disc confuses the issue when talking about the DTS tracks being for SPDIF and optical compatibility and then providing DTS HD-MA tracks. It would have been better in my view to have said nothing and supplied only the DTS HD-MA and no LPCM, that would have worked just as well for everyone except those with no DTS HD-MA decoder in either their player or AVR. And really, how many people are in that situation now? Especially people interested in multi channel music.

As I said earlier, this disc confuses the issue when talking about the DTS tracks being for SPDIF and optical compatibility and then providing DTS HD-MA tracks.
A bit confusing also.
Personally I prefer to have the LPCM stream and not one that's been subjected to any processing at all if possible.
That's just me. ;)

I thought the only thing that was 20 bit was the old DTS CDs which are long gone.. Modern DTS core files are 24 bit. And that what they register as when I rip them.

I thought the only thing that was 20 bit was the old DTS CDs which are long gone.. Modern DTS core files are 24 bit. And that what they register as when I rip them.
They might register as 24 bit because modern audio files don't have a means of storing 20 bit. Having you checked if the bottom 4 bits have anything in them on ripped DTS core or all they all zeros? You could be right though that core has moved on to 24 bit and I'm quoting old figures from DTS CD.

A bit confusing also.
Personally I prefer to have the LPCM stream and not one that's been subjected to any processing at all if possible.
That's just me. ;)
But you have no way of knowing whether they applied a load of processing to produce the LPCM and then fed the same thing into the DTS HD-MA encoder. Given all the awful ways modern mastering degrades audio quality, trying to avoid lossless compression seems very low down on the list of concerns to me.

I have a very good older AVR and I am not going to replace it just to have the HD-MA decoder in a new one. When mch releases started to move to BD from SACD and DVD-A, I gave in and bought a basic BR disc player but although it decodes mch DTS HD-MA, it does NOT send resulting lossless PCM to the AVR through HDMI (it downmixes to stereo).
So, yes, there ARE people who want mch LPCM on music related BR releases. (There's lots of space on the disc to include it).
In which case the way to go is LPCM for the lossless versions, and then straight DTS core for compatibility. Making the compatibility track DTS HD-MA clouds the issue so much. There may however be a licencing issue, it's possible DTS the company don't permit DTS core to be encoded for Blu Rays.

I have a number of Blu Rays, film and music, where the only multi channel is DTS HD-MA. I'm guessing you'd have to play those as DTS core and live with it (or buy a BD player with a DTS HD-MA decoder in it).

Anybody else getting a strange rattling noise on the guitar (or bass? I'm a philistine) in Pigs at 07:25 to around 07:42? It sounds like a fine metal grille vibrating in ever so slightly loose hinges. Thought it was my speakers at first, but I'm hearing it on the sound system as well as on my PC screen's built-in speakers and my headphones.

Then, I thought it might be something that's just buried in the 2-channel mix and I never noticed it, but I listened closely to the 2011 CD (well, my OGG rips of it) and I can't discern it.

This is what it sounds like:

Figured I'd ask here before I re-rip the Blu-Ray.

Anybody else getting a strange rattling noise on the guitar (or bass? I'm a philistine) in Pigs at 07:25 to around 07:42? It sounds like a fine metal grille vibrating in ever so slightly loose hinges. Thought it was my speakers at first, but I'm hearing it on the sound system as well as on my PC screen's built-in speakers and my headphones.

Then, I thought it might be something that's just buried in the 2-channel mix and I never noticed it, but I listened closely to the 2011 CD (well, my OGG rips of it) and I can't discern it.

This is what it sounds like:

Figured I'd ask here before I re-rip the Blu-Ray.

I heard that too when listening, and any drummer here will recognize that as the sound of the snares on the snare drum rattling with the vibrations of the music coming from the other instruments. Which is cool, because it indicates that they recorded this live in the studio without being in separate isolation booths.

I heard that too when listening, and any drummer here will recognize that as the sound of the snares on the snare drum rattling with the vibrations of the music coming from the other instruments. Which is cool, because it indicates that they recorded this live in the studio without being in separate isolation booths.
Awesome! Glad to know it belongs there. Amazing how surround mixes can bring out details even in stuff that you've listened to for decades and think you know by heart.

Awesome! Glad to know it belongs there. Amazing how surround mixes can bring out details even in stuff that you've listened to for decades and think you know by heart.
I'm not sure "belongs" is the right word. As a musician myself I have often been playing wondering why the drummer is too stupid to take the tension off the snares given they're not going to be played for at least the next 5 minutes, but there they are sizzling away in the background.

Back