Stream MC audio directly from Audacity? / Recording MC with Audacity DAW

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK it's working:

View attachment 84240

The secret sauce it to select WASAPI.

View attachment 84241

Things to note in the above screen shot.

Dolby Reference Player is using LoopBe audio interface to "Play"
LoopBe audio interface is configured to 48KHz 24bit 16 channels.
It's greyed out in windows sound recording properties --> advanced, because I have "locked" it in the LoopBe monitor.
Audacity is using the WASAPI LoopBe input, set for 16 channels (see first screenshot).
Yeah I've tried WASAPI with my MOTU, and couldn't get it to work. Is it an audio interface driver issue? It works for me with my MOTU and Audition 3.0.1, but not Audacity.
And I don't even know what LoopBe is?

LoopBe is a "virtual cable" or loopback interface. Not so relevant to your purpose, but I use it to record from one app to another.

Is your MOTU recording properties --> advanced set for 24 bits? That is also where you can configure the number of channels, at least in my driver.

I don't have another multi-channel interface plugged in at the moment (focusrite saffire pro40s put away in a cupboard)

Don't know why Audacity doesn't support ASIO.

Windows sound control panel:

1664906068043.png

LoopBe is a "virtual cable" or loopback interface. Not so relevant to your purpose, but I use it to record from one app to another.

Is your MOTU recording properties --> advanced set for 24 bits? That is also where you can configure the number of channels, at least in my driver.

I don't have another multi-channel interface plugged in at the moment (focusrite saffire pro40s put away in a cupboard)

Don't know why Audacity doesn't support ASIO.
Yep, I can set MOTU at 24 bit with channel configuration etc. (usual setting only 4.0 for Quad rips), I'm going to give it another try soon though, just in case I missed something.
I'm not using any HDMI connections, just analog and USB to computer.

Are there any Windows options for routing channels/tracks, from 8 channel files, to other channel outputs, with the Audacity options for each channel, like mute and solo? Reaper almost works, but I am struggling with the routing part, although the options are there. Foobar has a Matrix Mixer but I can't seem to get that to work properly either, and you can't easily switch on the fly, which is what I want to do.

Are there any Windows options for routing channels/tracks, from 8 channel files, to other channel outputs, with the Audacity options for each channel, like mute and solo? Reaper almost works, but I am struggling with the routing part, although the options are there. Foobar has a Matrix Mixer but I can't seem to get that to work properly either, and you can't easily switch on the fly, which is what I want to do.
Is your intent to swap portions of tracks to other tracks/channels? If you have access to Audition, it has easy cut and paste and mix paste options.

Is your intent to swap portions of tracks to other tracks/channels? If you have access to Audition, it has easy cut and paste and mix paste options.
I want to have the channels show up like they do in Audacity. However, I want to be able to play any channel to any speaker channel/channels. So, unlike Audacity, it must do multichannel out first and foremost. Then it needs the ability, on the fly, to route each channel, to any speaker, and mute, or solo any channel on the fly. Thanks.

I want to have the channels show up like they do in Audacity. However, I want to be able to play any channel to any speaker channel/channels. So, unlike Audacity, it must do multichannel out first and foremost. Then it needs the ability, on the fly, to route each channel, to any speaker, and mute, or solo any channel on the fly. Thanks.
Sure. I don't know much about Audacity, or being able to change routing on the fly. Maybe Zeerround can help with that.
I mean Audition can certainly enable/disable individual channel playback as fast as you can click a mouse, anyway, but rerouting on the fly is over my pay grade.

Other than panning, I should add.

Sure. I don't know much about Audacity, or being able to change routing on the fly. Maybe Zeerround can help with that.
I mean Audition can certainly enable/disable individual channel playback as fast as you can click a mouse, anyway, but rerouting on the fly is over my pay grade.

Other than panning, I should add.
It seems to do exactly what I was hoping it would and much easier to figure out with a much better layout than Reaper. Thanks again.

I like using Plogue Bidule, where you can build whatever you want.

I have up-remix "layouts" with solo mute on inputs and outputs, routing and panning, etc. for 7.1.4 ot 9.1.6. I also use it to prototype upmix methods, etc.

Wow. Hard to believe we've been using Plogue that long! It's not slick like many commercial apps, but it sure has a lot of capabilities and very flexible. The first time I saw it I thought what am I supposed to do with this? lol.
I dug up my old invoice, I paid $75 for it in 2006. Pretty good investment.

@boondocks Do you know if Audition will work like a media player, and play back more than one song at a time? I realize that is not the software's intended purpose, but just wondering if it is a setting I am missing? It will load a folder worth of files but stops or loops each audio file.

Back