Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I continue playing with this Animals Guthrie mix.

I made a stereo version with the two extracted rears channels. Also interesting.

Surprisingly you hear almost the 'whole' mix, but sometimes like with 'wrong' instruments levels.

The most INTERESTING thing is that you hear all the Rick Wright keyboards (almost not present in the fronts) and notice much better, than in the whole mix, all notes and soundscapes that Wright contributes to Pink Floyd.

I finally got around to listening to the Bluray in 5.1 first with DTS and it seemed like my right rear speaker wasn’t working properly for the most part. I went to the setup menus and tried out the pink noise and speaker ID’s and read the info about setup’s and that the analogue inputs are closest to the studio experience. Then I switched my Amp to Ext-in using the analog inputs only for the 6 channels and bingo, miles better. What an improvement from the original version…. except for the psalm in Sheep, me no likey. Packaging is cheap and nasty but on the whole it’s great. I’m going to try out the new stereo version against the original 1977 one. Nice that it’s finally in our grubby mitts!

Huh?

If the final cut is released in a big box deluxe set with 4 cd’s, blu ray, book etc for £9.99 I wouldn’t buy it, why? For me it’s one of two unlistenable PF albums, the other being Electric Moo, I have them on cd for completist purposes, surround sound can’t make 💩 sound like 🥂
I love Electric Moo and the studio half would be spectacular in surround (It's already a trip just using an upmixer)

I doubt any multitracks exist for the live half. But if so...

I love Electric Moo and the studio half would be spectacular in surround (It's already a trip just using an upmixer)

I doubt any multitracks exist for the live half. But if so...
Different strokes for different folks, I have well over 1200 cd’s and there’s only 3 I will never play again but refuse to sell
PF - The final cut
PF - Electric Moo
SW - The future bites (blu ray)

If the final cut is released in a big box deluxe set with 4 cd’s, blu ray, book etc for £9.99 I wouldn’t buy it, why? For me it’s one of two unlistenable PF albums, the other being Electric Moo, I have them on cd for completist purposes, surround sound can’t make 💩 sound like 🥂
I feel the same about "Animals". I think it's a dreadful album. But yes I did buy it just to see if the remix or the surround version improved things. It doesn't.

I have to disagree somewhat but in the main it just goes to show what happens when Waters takes full control. All his later solo offerings are very much the same. I'm not much a fan of The Wall either.
I'd still love to have a 5.1 or Atmos BD of Final Cut,
And Thank God it was the "Final Cut" of a Pink Floyd that included Roger.
Packaging is cheap and nasty but on the whole it’s great.
Agreed but at least we didn't have to pay for some big box full of useless 2ch LP's

I feel the same about "Animals". I think it's a dreadful album.
Each their own, it's in my fav top 3 here

Funnily enough as much as I hate the final cut I think RW three solo albums are all brilliant, would love to hear Radio KAOS in 5.1, that would blow my mind
I'd gladly take a 5.1 Final Cut remix. The Gunners Dream, Two Suns In the Sunset, Not Now John.... It has a few gems, just not a full albums worth. The sound effects throughout could be quite good.

I would also like a Radio KAOS remix. But Waters himself doesn't seem to have any respect for the album at all. Except for the original KAOS tour, I have never seen him play a single cut from it live. And I've seen every Waters tour except the last one.

Except for the original KAOS tour, I have never seen him play a single cut from it live. And I've seen every Waters tour except the last one.
Funny you say this because on his "In The Flesh Tour" in '99, He played The Powers That Be and dropped it after a the first few shows. And on his current tour, he does play The Powers That Be.

Funny you say this because on his "In The Flesh Tour" in '99, He played The Powers That Be and dropped it after a the first few shows. And on his current tour, he does play The Powers That Be.
Killer tune. And I missed it. Home is a great tune as well. I still have the VHS tape of Radio KAOS somewhere. No VHS player anymore. Maybe if we ever get a deluxe version they will re-release it.

The powers that be is probably too happy a song for him, he seems to dwell on politics and hatred nowadays, just my opinion before anyone jumps down my throat, when I go to a musical event I don’t want to be preached to, I am apolitical and hate all politicians of all parties and don’t need a multi-millionaire telling me who to hate or vote for

My pre-ordered Box Set is on its way from The Shed, so I'd already got the BDA from SDE, 🤪 mad possibly, crazy definitely! My excuse is I wanted the big book & cover so I can read it without a magnifying glass :LOL:
You're not alone, I've done exactly the same, my box set from the Shed is on it's way too, if the SACD was available in the UK at a reasonable price, I'd have ordered that as well.

You're not alone, I've done exactly the same, my box set from the Shed is on it's way too, if the SACD was available in the UK at a reasonable price, I'd have ordered that as well.
You two are my kind of guys! I have the Blu-ray and the SACD; my box set is due to ship on 11 October. I guess that means i will be the proud owner of . . . wait for it . . . "Pigs (Three Different Ones)"! Or maybe i'm just a sheep . . . Animals is the very first Pink Floyd album i ever purchased, back when i was a sophomore in high school. I don't consider it the best Pink Floyd album, but it is my favo(u)rite . . . you never forget your first! Stay Surrounded, Comrades! 🐕🐷🐖🐗🐑

Last edited:
You two are my kind of guys! I have the Blu-ray and the SACD; my box set is due to ship on 11 October. I guess that means i will be the proud owner of . . . wait for it . . . "Pigs (Three Different Ones)"! Or maybe i'm just a sheep . . . Animals is the very first Pink Floyd album i ever purchased, back when i was a sophomore in high school. I don't consider it the best Pink Floyd album, but it is my favo(u)rite . . . you never forget your first! Stay Surrounded, Comrades! 🐕🐷🐖🐗🐑
Being insane I'd have probably bought the SACD as well, but imported to the UK costs about the same as the box set!

The powers that be is probably too happy a song for him, he seems to dwell on politics and hatred nowadays, just my opinion before anyone jumps down my throat, when I go to a musical event I don’t want to be preached to, I am apolitical and hate all politicians of all parties and don’t need a multi-millionaire telling me who to hate or vote for

but...he's been kinda doing that (preaching) since the early 70s, if you've been reading the lyrics. All that's happened since is, he's gotten more vitriolic, less subtle, and lately, conspiracist.

Back